Is it taboo (something I should stay away from) or is it something I can do?
This guitar I got from my friend is in good shape, but it just looks awful.
Here is a pic of the guitar (my epi is nice tho, as seen on the right)
http://www.itookthisonmyphone.com/media/9f3e1480-88c7-4bb4-ac3b-fe5bbfdc2282/02b9f66f-a562-4cdc-a57b-e391973269d1_568x426r0.jpg
First time I use this hosting service, so tell me if it works/doesn't.

The plan is to repaint the body in full high gloss black, and paint the fretboard + neck in black satin, and put two bright blue LEDs in the body so when I plug in my guitar it glows blue out of the f-holes. Or... I'll do it up in white colors and I'll nickname this guitar "Mac Attack" or some other such Mac-based name. (I'm a geek... yeah.)

The guitar also has no truss rod... curious to know if I can put one in or not. Scared to put heavy strings on it without a truss rod.

Thanks UG =D
Last edited by imgod22222 at Feb 21, 2009,
i think that paint looks awesome the way it is, the black would make it less original and pretty boring looking
Guitars:
Custom les paul copy with sun inlay
Epiphone les paul custom with emg 81/85
Hondo 80's star shape(project)
ESP explorer (project)
Epiphone dr200s
Epiphone ej200
pedals:
mxr doubleshot distortion
amp:
Raven rg100
Don't touch that guitar, it looks sweet already. Do you know what it is?

Also: Your epi is nice?
Gear
Fender Thinline Telecaster Deluxe

1983 Aria Pro II XX Deluxe Flying V

2007 S101 EGU34

1963 Kay Vanguard

1964 Kay Vanguard

AXL Badwater SRO

Hondo Strat

1974 Acoustic(brand) 134 4x10 combo

Epiphone Valve Jr.
Well, if it's a maple fretboard you can most definitely paint it... 99% of maple fretboards are clear coated anyway..

It's a really blurry picture, but that fretboard looks like it could be two different woods? I really don't know of any other boards that are normally finished, but I'm not a wood expert.
Quote by Invader Jim
Rosewood won't take a finish. Too oily. Maple can. Maybe ebony.

^listen to this man
why not just use black fingerboard stain? It's made for that reason.

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Finishing_supplies/Colors,_tints,_and_stains/Black_Fingerboard_Stain.html

works on rosewood/maple/ebony/w.e

/thread
Just call me Bobby
Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list
Quote by mikeyElite
you build guitars worthy of sexual favors

Quote by Invader Jim
if this party gets any livelier a funeral is gonna break out.
welp. i've been told this stuff works on it, and that came from the guy i emailed at stew mac.
I've never used it myself, but apparently it works...
Just call me Bobby
Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list
Quote by mikeyElite
you build guitars worthy of sexual favors

Quote by Invader Jim
if this party gets any livelier a funeral is gonna break out.
Ill take it if you don't want it. Please more pictures though!
Quote by asfastasdark
+1. This man knows his ****.

Walker Rose.
the bird, the bird bird bird, the bird is the wordd
BE HAPPY

Quote by ajmasterjaydude
so this kid at my school microwaved brussel sprouts for lunch, and when he was about to eat them one of them exploded on his face and burned him. i like turtles

in a thread about malmsteen^
I've yet you use a stain that'll actually penetrate worth a flip, but I guess it could work.

i may have just go lucky with my choice of stain but i put a rosewood stain on my last board to deepen the colour a bit and it worked fine. Admitedly i havent played it yet so i dont know iff it will like rub off when i use it
Quote by mosh_face
the bird, the bird bird bird, the bird is the wordd
spam, spam, spam, reported you are.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
^ I second that! I know beauty is in the eye of the beholder and all but it is seriously nice looking.
Quote by Invader Jim
Rosewood doesn't like stains or paint, dude.

Rosewood DOES take stain, ebony is also oily like rosewood and also takes stain.

They dont take film finishes like lacquer well, because they are oily, although you can clean the oil off quickly (with naptha or something) and then apply film finishes.

Maple needs a finish because it isnt oily and so dirt clogs up the pores easily, and also takes stain and lacquer easily.

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
Yes, I find my epi nice. I prefer the feel of the neck to this, plus the neck of this hollow-body is a tad wider (though not as wide as a standard acoustic) and the machine heads can use replacing. I got it from my friend for $50. He bought it when he was in Columbia... it's probably hand-made and the neck is glued to the body. As to the manufacturer, it says "L.A.V" "Instrumentos M. Santander"

Headstock pic:
http://www.itookthisonmyphone.com/media/9f3e1480-88c7-4bb4-ac3b-fe5bbfdc2282/42dedbd2-fb15-4842-9a83-0e5ae4b95d7b_568x426r0.jpg
The paint isn't as reflective as these pictures make it seem. The upper part of the headstock picture is a better representation of how it looks IRL.
Body pic:
http://www.itookthisonmyphone.com/media/9f3e1480-88c7-4bb4-ac3b-fe5bbfdc2282/11728c79-8c07-4fbf-bf54-c1d265fb5835_568x426r0.jpg
http://www.itookthisonmyphone.com/media/9f3e1480-88c7-4bb4-ac3b-fe5bbfdc2282/bb1620ae-1fc1-46fe-b994-2314f70c4138_568x426r0.jpg
Fretboard pic:
http://www.itookthisonmyphone.com/media/9f3e1480-88c7-4bb4-ac3b-fe5bbfdc2282/e325e000-3538-49d6-adde-29d282739166_568x426r0.jpg

You guys can navigate the album for more pix. Tired of linking.
Any more pix reqs?

As you can tell... its not leopard print (maybe the first blurry pic led you to believe that... I'm just assumin' here.)
Last edited by imgod22222 at Feb 22, 2009,
That guitar is seriously nice. Don't paint the fretboard..
Gear

2007 S101 EGU34

1963 Kay Vanguard

1964 Kay Vanguard

AXL Badwater SRO

Hondo Strat

Epiphone Valve Jr.
I think that two colour fretboard thing is a deliberate effect...?
I don't think so. But that's from me--a guitar player / gear builder. I don't know much about wood and painting. Circuits are a bit closer to my comfort zone.
Enough about that though.

While painting this, I expect to also fix all the actual bad things about this guitar, such as switching the tuning pegs out for closed ones, and maybe shielding the electronics (though I don't know how Ill do that. There's really no entry into the cavity =\, and in the case that the wires being used in the guitar are shielded, I heard double shielding introduces hum) The frets are also POS, but theres no fixing that.

What materials can be used to mold curves onto the flat surfaces of the guitar? [My idea is along the lines of how higher-end gibsons are curvy]

And I see surprisingly a majority of the people just saying "oh that's a beautiful guitar". Why do you guys think that? Both me and the original owner think it looks awful.
Last edited by imgod22222 at Feb 22, 2009,
Quote by imgod22222
I don't think so. But that's from me--a guitar player / gear builder. I don't know much about wood and painting. Circuits are a bit closer to my comfort zone.
Enough about that though.

While painting this, I expect to also fix all the actual bad things about this guitar, such as switching the tuning pegs out for closed ones, and maybe shielding the electronics (though I don't know how Ill do that. There's really no entry into the cavity =\, and in the case that the wires being used in the guitar are shielded, I heard double shielding introduces hum) The frets are also POS, but theres no fixing that.

What materials can be used to mold curves onto the flat surfaces of the guitar? [Its an idea in my head that probably won't come to fruition]

And I see surprisingly a majority of the people just saying "oh that's a beautiful guitar". Why do you guys think that? Both me and the original owner thing it looks awful.

I also think its awful. Paint it invisible. Haha
Because it's sexy. Sorry it doesn't look like your Epi special II.
Gear

2007 S101 EGU34

1963 Kay Vanguard

1964 Kay Vanguard

AXL Badwater SRO

Hondo Strat

Epiphone Valve Jr.
After staring at this thing for about a full week or so, i've decided "Man, f-holes make this guitar sexy!" And since I really want to make a guitar project, and the internet tells me this guitar is sexy, can I turn cut f-holes into a really terrible acoustic or will it destroy the sound?
[Probably not, but asking still doesn't hurt.. :p]

Oh yeah, wanted to mention to the internet: This hollow body has the least sustain out of any stringed instrument I've ever played.
I've played ukuleles, mandolins, acoustic (hole), solid and (now hollow) body electric guitars, acoustic and electric bass, stand-up bass (an oboe-ish thing?) and this thing rings for about two seconds... then fades out. Even when plugged into my amp with full gain (it's not a great amp tho, so don't expect gain like that of a line-6 on "absurd" or whatever the setting is, its enough to play most metal) the sustain lasts about a full two or three seconds.
Ending Rant.

Thanks, UG!
Last edited by imgod22222 at Feb 26, 2009,
Can you explain better what you want to do?
Gear

2007 S101 EGU34

1963 Kay Vanguard

1964 Kay Vanguard

AXL Badwater SRO

Hondo Strat

Epiphone Valve Jr.
turn a sound-hole acoustic into an f-hole acoustic.

Since you guys tell me I shouldn't touch the hollowbody posted earlier, I guess I won't.
Ah ok. I thought you meant you wanted to turn the hollowbody into an acoustic with a soundhole! haha.

I suppose it would be possible. Difficult to do on an already assembled acoustic though.
Gear

2007 S101 EGU34

1963 Kay Vanguard

1964 Kay Vanguard

AXL Badwater SRO

Hondo Strat

Epiphone Valve Jr.
maple is ok to stain, under the clear, if theres gonna be clear. rose wood and ebony you dont touch, just occasionally rub it with some 3in1 oil to rehydrate it and clean it up.

check the neck heel for a trus rod, if its a bolt on. it may be hiding.
It may have a truss rod.

If it is a two piece neck, some models have the truss rod not on the head-stock, but where the neck bolts on, causing you to remove the neck to make the adjustment.
Quote by srvguitarrulez
I heard someone say that Fall Out Boy had amazing guitarwork. But, it was a 13 year old girl, so it didn't matter.