I bought a new Ibanez RG770 today, in a Ruby Red finish. It was the guitar of my dreams... until I brought it home.

I need to lower the action a bit and tune the top E string. Whenever I try to tune any string, it doesn't change the pitch of said string. I think it has something to do with the Edge bridge, and I have absolutely zero experience with any tremolo unit. How can I tune and change strings with such a unit on my guitar? And how would I go about lowering the action?

Thanks.
Unlock the nut?
Fender Japan Stratocaster Ibanez Pro540 Power Ibanez Pro540 Saber Ibanez 430S Ibanez S540 Charvel LSXIII w/GraphTech Ghost MIDI Parker Fly Artist Ibanez S1220 Mesa F30 Roland GR20 Roland Microcube + IBANEZ TREMS STILL SUCK!
Quote by pifty
Unlock the nut?

this.
u bought a $1300 guitar and dont know how to use a double locking trem? and check the official FR setup guide.
Quote by Mo Jiggity
What he said. You are a wise man for not buying into the hype.

ya hear that...he thinks im wise
I also have an Ibanez RG series, but it's not the RG770. It's a cheaper one, but it still has the same Edge III Tremelo, correct?

Well, when I first bought mine, it freaked me out when I broke a string because the bridge bent back causing all of my other strings to strech. So replacing strings isn't really that tough. Just unscrew the bolts at the top and keep them in a safe place where you don't have a chance of losing them. Then you take the tool that should've came with your guitar to stick into the bridge. I'm not good with terms, but find the tool that fits into the only open slot that is on the bridge, twist it to the right, and out the string comes that you want to replace.

Now tuning is the same process. Take off the bolts at the top and tune just like any guitar you've owned. The only problem is that it takes a VERY long time to tune your guitar. Since the tremelo is a tension-based system, the higher you make a string, the more the tremelo with come up, thereby lowering all of the other strings, and vis versa. But it is possible to tune, but it takes a bit. Make sure you're not impatient about it!

I'm really bad with words, so if that confused you, just tell me!
You can fine tune it with them little knobs on the bridge.

But to tune it further you need to get the allen key, release the string up at the top of the neck at the nut, then turn the machine head and lock it back up.
Alright, I'm starting to learn the ins and outs of a tremolo system. I can tune my guitar now (a huge step in the right direction lol), but I would like to lower the action. Could anyone give me some tips on how to do that?
Theres 2 allen screws on either side of the bridge thats how you change your action, it might throw your tuning off slightly
Ibanez RG7321
Jackson Randy Rhoads V with Floyd Rose
Peavey Valveking 112
Digitech RP70 Guitar Processor
Read the Ultimate Floyd sticky - also don't mess with the action until you know what kind of bridge it is, if it's got a Lo Pro edge then the trem posts will have locking studs which need to be unlocked first.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Last edited by steven seagull at Feb 23, 2009,
If I had double-locking tremolo guitar, I'd bring it to a guitar tech, since I haven't ever had a double-locking guitar, my tip is to do the same as I would do.
Guitars

- Epiphone Les Paul Standard Ebony Finish
- Hohner Hc-06 Classical guitar

Amplifiers

-Roland Cube 30x
Effects
- Vox Wah-wah
Rg770 reissues come with the original edge bridge, so it will have locking studs just as steven said... so you'll have to unlock them before using the standard allen key to lower the tremelo.
Gear

'07 Ibanez RG1570MRB Prestige
'97 Ibanez RGR570 - V7/Dimarzio Fast Track/ Dimarzio PAF Pro
Westfield SG Copy
Westfield Strat Copy
Falcon Acoustic
Peavey Valveking 212
Roland Microcube
Unbranded 15W Starter Amp
You'll also want to look here for a lot of Edge-specific setup info.
Fender Japan Stratocaster Ibanez Pro540 Power Ibanez Pro540 Saber Ibanez 430S Ibanez S540 Charvel LSXIII w/GraphTech Ghost MIDI Parker Fly Artist Ibanez S1220 Mesa F30 Roland GR20 Roland Microcube + IBANEZ TREMS STILL SUCK!