im definately getting a valve junior and throwing pedals infront of it, should i get the combo or the half stack? or maybe a crate v5?
Half stack, without a doubt. I have both. Speaker size makes a big difference. The exception would be to get the combo and a cab. That way you have portability of the combo and then use the combo as a head with your cab. You'd need to wire up a jack.
Quote by fly135
Half stack, without a doubt. I have both. Speaker size makes a big difference. The exception would be to get the combo and a cab. That way you have portability of the combo and then use the combo as a head with your cab. You'd need to wire up a jack.

That makes no sense, the head plus a 1x12 is just as portable and won't have a **** 8 inch speaker.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
If you plan to use pedals, I would say a Fender Champ 600 would be more your style.
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
Quote by Kevin Saale
That makes no sense, the head plus a 1x12 is just as portable and won't have a **** 8 inch speaker.
It makes perfect sense. A combo can be a combo or a head. A head always needs a cab. And the combo *is* more portable than the stack.
How? Even if you got the combo and a cab you'd still need to bring the cab if you didn't want to sound like ****.
I was referring to being able to leave the cab at home in the music room and taking the combo with as a small portable amp. That way you get the best of both worlds. Hands down the stack is better, but some people might want the tote-ability of the combo. However that 8" speaker in the combo doesn't hold a candle to the 12"er in the cab. I just threw that out as food for thought.
Am I going to be the only person who will go ahead and say that the Valve jr. does not really sound good at all and suggesting that maybe you should look at some other options? Maybe ditch the pedal idea, save that money, and wait a little longer and get something like a Vox AC15?
Last edited by al112987 at Feb 21, 2009,
Quote by al112987
Am I going to be the only person who will go ahead and say that the Valve jr. does not really sound good at all and suggesting that maybe you should look at some other options? Maybe ditch the pedal idea, save that money, and wait a little longer and get something like a Vox AC15?

+1, even though its not total garbage depending on exactly what your using it for
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
Quote by al112987
He said he is definitely getting one. It may not be the best sounding amp, but it's not bad and can sound great with pedals and EQing. The save up and buy a better amp advice doesn't stop with the AC15.
Quote by fly135
He said he is definitely getting one. It may not be the best sounding amp, but it's not bad and can sound great with pedals and EQing. The save up and buy a better amp advice doesn't stop with the AC15.

Obviously if he's debating between the Valve jr and Crate V5 then he's not quite "definite" yet.

Of course the better amp advice doesn't stop with the AC15, but the Valve jr is a budget amp that does not sound all that great. I'd much rather start at a better foundation and slowly build my way up rather than blow all my money on a mediocre sounding amp and a bunch of pedals for instant gratification. At the price range of the Valve Jr. I'd take something like a Fender Superchamp or Vox AD over it 10 times out of 10. Someone finally explain to me what they hear from a Valve jr (without the time spent on mods, money blown on high end speakers, and high end aftermarket transformers) that honestly makes it than something like a Vox AD or Fender Superchamp.
The Vjr can sound very good with multifx or pedals in front. Much rather have that than a Vox AD series amp. YMMV. If I was going the Vox AD route then I would get a Vypyr.

I can see you point that you might find the Superchamp a better amp for the money, but the Vjr with pedals is IMO more flexible in terms of tone. Personally I would watch Craigslist and look for a better amp for the money. I got a great Classic 30 for $275.
Quote by al112987
Obviously if he's debating between the Valve jr and Crate V5 then he's not quite "definite" yet.

Of course the better amp advice doesn't stop with the AC15, but the Valve jr is a budget amp that does not sound all that great. I'd much rather start at a better foundation and slowly build my way up rather than blow all my money on a mediocre sounding amp and a bunch of pedals for instant gratification. At the price range of the Valve Jr. I'd take something like a Fender Superchamp or Vox AD over it 10 times out of 10. Someone finally explain to me what they hear from a Valve jr (without the time spent on mods, money blown on high end speakers, and high end aftermarket transformers) that honestly makes it than something like a Vox AD or Fender Superchamp.

You're not alone. I know I disliked the amp very much when I tried it. Mr. Carrot modded his to hell and back and still disliked it. I just didn't feel like suggesting amps
Owned two VJs, don't anymore. I was a victim like Mr. Carrot was with the modding. Most of the typical mods people recommend just made the amp worse in my opinion. I still got the same ice picky highs, flabby low end and lack of overall clarity that I got when the amp was stock.

The Crate V5 is similar except Crate likes to leave out the fact the V5 has a solid state gain stage before the first tube preamp stage. Not necessarily bad on it's own, sucks with pedals though in my opinion and you really don't want to hit it with a boost.
I've heard a Valve jr that sounded ok, but after the Mercury Magnetics upgrade kit ($300) and replacing the stock speaker with a Weber alnico Silver Bell ($200), and it got rid of the woofiness, harshness and general flubby tone. But that is literally about $500 worth of upgrades for a $200 amp.
Quote by Whole Lotta Led
Owned two VJs, don't anymore. I was a victim like Mr. Carrot was with the modding. Most of the typical mods people recommend just made the amp worse in my opinion. I still got the same ice picky highs, flabby low end and lack of overall clarity that I got when the amp was stock.

The Crate V5 is similar except Crate likes to leave out the fact the V5 has a solid state gain stage before the first tube preamp stage. Not necessarily bad on it's own, sucks with pedals though in my opinion and you really don't want to hit it with a boost.

Lack of clarity, my feelings exactly.

Al: And I'm sure you could still find something better for 700 bucks, no?
Quote by Kevin Saale
Lack of clarity, my feelings exactly.

Al: And I'm sure you could still find something better for 700 bucks, no?

Oh definitely, plus, things like Mercury Magnetics OTs and Weber Alnico speakers are things that I would stick in my JTM45, not into a Valve Jr. When you have to spend twice the amount you spent on your amp to make it sound decent, I think it's time to rethink where your money is being spent.
I totally agree. I kind of figured you would say that, just wanted to hear it.
Quote by Whole Lotta Led

This is why I wouldn't buy an amp with the intention of modding it.

If you don't like the way an amp sounds, don't get it. No amount of pedals are going to change the character of the amp, nor would something like a tube swap or even a transformer swap.

I happen to like the Valve Junior, though, for what it is
The speaker in the combo isnt the greatest for tone. I know some people get the Vjr to mod the crap out of em. I modded mine but only have 40 bucks in some caps, pots and a set of tubes. Not sure the issue with tone some comment about. Im pretty happy with mine true its not a marshall jcm800 but it does what I need it to.
Quote by fly135
The Vjr can sound very good with multifx or pedals in front. Much rather have that than a Vox AD series amp.

+1 on this. I'll go even farther in saying it's better then any SS amp or hybrid i've plugged into. I 'liked it with My POD XT Live. Liked even better when i bypass the PODs distortion for use of single pedal OD/Distortion and liked it better still when I swapped out the stock tubes for tung sol and JJ's. I also have an MXR 10 band EQ between the distortion and the POD. I don't even look at SS amps (or hybrids) anymore.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD