Ok, so Ive decided enough is enough, and Im going all out on a bass rig.

Im prepared to spend about $6000 on the lot, a cab, a guitar and a head.

Im after a warm tone, that doesn't lose low end, and is able to run effects essencially as I want them. Ie, I want the amp to be able to make a high end like distortion, and a low end distortion, so my effects sounds are not limited by my amplifier.

Im looking at this for the Guitar - Fender Jaguar - http://basscentre.com.au/uploadedFiles/1144021147953-5244.jpg

This for the Head, off Bill Hyde - Ampeg SVT450 - https://www.billyhydemusic.com.au/shop/photo.cfm?id=5231&deptid=2

And for the cab, Im looking at a Fender 610 - http://basscentre.com.au/uploadedFiles/1227149338265-9378.jpg

Im more concerned about the head than anything else. Ive played the Jazz through a 410, so Im fairly sure I like those two, but Ive never used that head. Is there anyone who has who can tell me 1. What type of tone it has, and 2. Possibly link me to some samples?

Oh, and also, if anyone can think of a better set up for the money, than feel free to tell me about it too, I do want to know if Im buying the best for what Im paying, as everyone does.
Last edited by Quinny90210 at Feb 21, 2009,
Looked into Hartke heads? Great tone and power for the price. Course, I'm a Hartke wh0re
-Guitar Gear-
1995 American Fender Strat, EMG 85 pup
Randall RH200 Head
Marshall 1960a Cab
Woods Acoustic
-Bass Gear-
Spector Legend 4 bass
Washburn Bantam bass
Hartke HA2500
Fender Bassman 410H
Play what you love, love what you play
Personally i think you'll get a better sound from an eden nemesis or mark bass setup
Gear:
Washburn RB2500 (5 String)
Yamaha BB400 Fretless (1981)
Carlo Giordano 3/4 Upright (White)
Cort Action 4 (Stereo-fied)
Orange Bass Terror 500
Orange 1x15 Cab
Boss GT-6 Bass Multi-effects
6000 dollars and you want a fender jaguar? lulz
Quote by Azgirio
Yeah, you definitely raped his churches and burned his women.

Quote by LordBishek
Forgive the bluntness, but what in the chucklefucking hell is this?
I'd really look into something other than the Jaguar. Unless you're really adamant on getting it, there are better basses out there. Especially when you have such a high price range.
Quote by Ez0ph
That was a different Feb08er that threatened to suck you off
I remember that

Sadly, I was the threatened.
Quote by Firenze

Let it be known that I concur with everything this gentleman says, ever.

www.myspace.com/tarsusmusic
You could get a second hand american deluxe, which IMO is much better than the Jag. For 5000 you could go alot better than the 450 which is basically just the b2re in a box like the CL's. I hear theres alot of orange amps in austrailia try and get an 200D, and a matching 4x10. The 450 isnt that great, it gives a fairly good ampegish tones but isnt worth the money in the end. Im guessing your going for a colourful amp, Maybe you could even get a second han ampeg Cl, but this is all the amopeg tone, which is very love em, hate em.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Last edited by fatgoogle at Feb 22, 2009,
$6000 AUD is about $3800 USD, right?

What are you going to be using this rig for? Does it need to be loud, or just sound good?

As for the tone you want, can you name some bands or songs that have a tone you're looking for?
Nope, no sig here.
Last edited by Mutant Corn at Feb 22, 2009,
if it's a $6000 budget i'd recommend a mark bass setup for around $4000 and then try out every sub $2000 bass you can find. Warwick, Ibanez, Fender, Spector, G&L, Musicman, Cort and Yamaha
Gear:
Orange Bass Terror 500
Orange 1x15 Cab
i have the 450H, its a Piece Of Crap.

i would say, Carvin.

thats what im looking into getting.

its american made, high quality, and very good. plus, you can get a 1200 watt head, a 1x18, and a 4x10, all for $1,099 American $'s.

pretty darn freaking good. Thats total ownage of the low end with the 1x18, good mid-highs with the 4x10, and with the BX1200 head, you can bi amp, and send all the low frequencies to the 1x18 and the upper frequencies to the 4x10, its sick.

plus, since ur only spending 1,099 on the rig, you have the rest to spend on a freaking amazing bass.

good day.
He's talking Australian dollars, by the time you work out the exchange rate it's probably gonna be over to $2000 plus at least $500 in shipping for a far lesser amp then the Mark Bass. not worth the hassle when mark bass sounds much better and is far more practical to take to gigs etc.
Gear:
Orange Bass Terror 500
Orange 1x15 Cab
... Whats with all this Jaguar Hate?

Mine is perfect, I couldn't need a better bass... after changing the pickups.

Though I want a Stingray as well. heh heh

and look into Hartke. the HA5500 with a 8x10 VX would give you just about any tone you could think of.

and you could also go one better than the Jag, though it is incredibly versatile
"Whats that noise??"

"... Jazz"
check out peavey's vb-3 amp head. you wanted a warm tone so tubes are great for that. you could use the distortion channel built in to get both warm and bright distortions with the use of the footswitchable graphic eq. I haven't looked if the vb-3 ever made it out for sale yet but i heard about it a long time ago and saw some videos too. I own the vb-2 and it's pretty much the same thing with more wattage, a compressor, and the graphic eq. It also has cool lights. hehe.

http://namm.harmony-central.com/WNAMM09/Content/Peavey/PR/Peavey-VB-3-Tube-Bass-Amplifier.html

This article says it'll be out sometime first quarter of 09...any time now then.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775
Fender p bass special deluxe

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
listen to revelation, for he is wise in the way of bass-fu
Quote by ZaccB
... Whats with all this Jaguar Hate?

Mine is perfect, I couldn't need a better bass... after changing the pickups.

Though I want a Stingray as well. heh heh

and look into Hartke. the HA5500 with a 8x10 VX would give you just about any tone you could think of.

and you could also go one better than the Jag, though it is incredibly versatile

I definitely don't hate Jags, I think they look rather cool to be honest. But, there are better basses. I guess that can always be said about any bass, though
Quote by Ez0ph
That was a different Feb08er that threatened to suck you off
I remember that

Sadly, I was the threatened.
Quote by Firenze

Let it be known that I concur with everything this gentleman says, ever.

www.myspace.com/tarsusmusic
Quote by TooFast
I definitely don't hate Jags, I think they look rather cool to be honest. But, there are better basses. I guess that can always be said about any bass, though

Damn right.

but yea, all I would do to my Jag is tighten up a few things, make sure all the wires are in all working order. etc etc.

but yea. I want more basses, but I'd never let go of my Jag.
"Whats that noise??"

"... Jazz"
Quote by Captain Insano
Your new rig needs more SWR and Musicman.

SWR PRE-fender i think their better then recent. still solid amps though. also someone said EDEN their nice too, if you have $6000 then try all the fancy s_ht you can get your hands on, thats lots of cash for a new setup......
Quote by beastman_
SWR PRE-fender i think their better then recent. still solid amps though. also someone said EDEN their nice too, if you have $6000 then try all the fancy s_ht you can get your hands on, thats lots of cash for a new setup......

The cabs, yeah, but unless it's an ugly-ass SWR SOUND product, it's not the "better" product that the old farts from TalkBass keep going on about.

Damn you CBS for making pre-anything a better product.

EDIT: Wow, Peavey's trying to finish off Ampeg once and for all with that new tube amp and 4 chamber ceramic 800W 810. Never liked tube amps, but that one's cool.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Last edited by thefitz at Feb 24, 2009,
BASS GEAR:
Fender Bassman 250 2x10
Squier MB-5
Tanglewood Premier TW155 acoustic bass

GUITAR GEAR:
Ibanez ART300
Fender GDC-200SCE
Peavey studio chorus 70

PEDALS:
Ibanez SM-7
Ibanez PH-7
DOD Bass Chorus
Hartke HA5500 head and the 810 VX cab. Invest in a EHX overdrive pedal, get a nice Jazz and a nice Music man.

Trust me, that amp and those two basses will sort you for life.
Quote by IndianRockStar
The bass SHOULD cover the bottom end at the very least.

70's MOD Jazz->
BOSS LMB-3->
Hartke HA3500->
GENZ-BENZ NEOx 2x12->
Quote by Captain Insano
Your new rig needs more SWR and Musicman.

I like the way this man thinks
Quote by cakeandpiemofo
Of course I don't wanna go in the woods. There's bears in there.

Quote by Deliriumbassist
Jeff Ament is a sexy sexy beast.

Quote by Karvid
Yes. Chest hair = automatic awesome. Even if you're a woman.
Quote by thefitz
Wow, Peavey's trying to finish off Ampeg once and for all with that new tube amp and 4 chamber ceramic 800W 810. Never liked tube amps, but that one's cool.

Agreed, their new stuff is awesome. Have you seen their foray into Class D amps? Six kilowatts, from a sub 20-pound amp.
Nope, no sig here.
Quote by Mutant Corn
Agreed, their new stuff is awesome. Have you seen their foray into Class D amps? Six kilowatts, from a sub 20-pound amp.

Link?
Wait, what? A 6000W amp? Cool as hell but speaker technology isn't quite there yet... like maybe at 2 ohms with 4 8 ohm 1500W 810s or something...

But I was thinking about this earlier today... Jonas Hellborg basically designed his amp on the concept that it's the POWER TRANSFORMERS that give tube amps their tone, not the tubes (as he says, a clean tube should sound like nothing). His amp is completely solid state but has power transformers as if it was tube. It's only 250W or 500W but apparently they sound like 250W/500W proper tube. Interesting.

So how much like a tube amp will this baby sound? Could this awesome concept result in a product that's completely back asswards - not as light as a typical class D amp and doesn't sound a thing like a tube amp, without the size and reliability of a solid state amp? Only time will tell.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
I happen to know that the tubes do color sound. Many guitar amps can use el34's and 6L6'S and they will sound quite different when you switch between them. Also changing to different types of preamp tubes will not only change your gain structure but it will also slightly change the voicing of the amp. And you will probably also lose the percieved volume gain that you get from the tubes. sounds like it would be easier to just design an awesome tube amp. We have an 800Watt tube power amp sitting up in the practice space we don't use....I really kinda want to buy a preamp and try that baby out.

But who knows. This is only from my limited experience of course. No expert here.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
Last edited by Revelation at Feb 24, 2009,
I don't think there's much denying that the different tubes result in different tones, but then again, transistors do the same. FETs do the same. Any type of different component, beit solid state or tube, will result in a different tone. Hellborg's concept is basically that the tubes do change the timbre (like any combination of electronics do), but it's the transformers that make a tube amp sound like a tube amp - and his amplifier as a good example of how his idea makes sense.

I say this because I think this is a really good idea and could be the product that puts Peavey up there with the big boys, but there's a huge potential for complete and total backfire. This could be the hippest tube amp ever, or an amp that has absolutely none of the advantages that solid state or tube amps have.

It could potentially sound exactly like any Class D amplifier at 5 times the weight, requiring $200 of retubing every so on.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
i totally understand. I think it will sound either like a mix of the two or completely different than anything ever heard. good or bad i wanna hear it!

EDIT: I'm not too sure where the transistors are in tube amps as I'm not a big techy. I do know that if you run a line out to a board instead of micing your cabs the tone changes dramatically. maybe the transistors are after the line out? I don't have a clue.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
Last edited by Revelation at Feb 24, 2009,
Quote by Double Basser
He's talking Australian dollars, by the time you work out the exchange rate it's probably gonna be over to $2000 plus at least $500 in shipping for a far lesser amp then the Mark Bass. not worth the hassle when mark bass sounds much better and is far more practical to take to gigs etc.

You do know that here in Australia we have music stores with bass amps in them like Mark Bass among others right?
Quote by cjlane
You do know that here in Australia we have music stores with bass amps in them like Mark Bass among others right?

Carvin aren't available in shops, mark bass and others are
Gear:
Orange Bass Terror 500
Orange 1x15 Cab
Quote by Mutant Corn
$6000 AUD is about $3800 USD, right?

What are you going to be using this rig for? Does it need to be loud, or just sound good?

As for the tone you want, can you name some bands or songs that have a tone you're looking for?

It needs a little of both - tone in particular, but loud enough to cut through in mid sized gig.

As for sound, listen to "Getting away with murder" by Papa Roach

Ps, Ive been tossing up between American Deluxe Jazz and the Jag.
Last edited by Quinny90210 at Mar 3, 2009,
American deluxe, its a way better bass, feels way better, plays way better, sounds way better/ Hands down i would choose it any dya.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Another endorsement for the MIA Deluxe.
Quote by Cody_Grey102