Ok, so I know a guy who makes amps and I'm having him build me a 30 watt head that is going to be along the lines of a Bad Cat tone wise, except with a little bit more of a bite to it. I'm going to be running something a long with it but I'm not sure what exactly. I was thinking of an Ampeg VT-22 or a V-4 to pick up the lower end and stuff, but I'm not sure. I play in a hardcore punk band sorta like Converge, The Chariot etc. What amps do you think I could run to make it A) louder and B) pick up the low ends that the head itself lacks? I love the tone of it, I just wanna throw some kind of grimy lows in there. I'm looking to keep it around $400. I was thinking some sort of solid state head.
Quote by tarlkea
When I say offensive I mean offensive like dressing up as superman in a wheel chair offensive, not penis suit offensive.
A V4 would completely drown out a 30 watter. Those things are ****ing loud!

I think a VT-40 would fit a bit better if you can find one.

Another thing to think of would be a Reverberocket R50H

A SF Bassman 50 would also be good, or a Redbear MK60, or Mig50.

Maybe even an Epiphone Blues Custom 30.

EDIT: If you're thinking SS, go with a VH-140c.
I think the Marshall 20 watt hand wired with 4x10 cab would match up amazingly well with that amp! What is it? ... the 2061x or something like that? Anyway, I know you're looking to increase volume and bring out lows. Seemingly, I'm going the opposite way, but I think if you run the custom 30 through a 2X12 (with the 75 watt v30's), along with your favorite pedals, running the Marshall wet, you'll be in punk rock heaven with all the volume you'll need and beautifully tight lows!
Last edited by b-rock34 at Feb 21, 2009,
Thanks for all the suggestions! I'm really interested in that Red Bear thing. Coincidentally, the amp I plan to have made is a "Bear Paw" Growler. They're made by a guy out in Michigan I believe, so I've been emailing him recently about having one built.

How would I go about getting a redbear? They seem sort of strange to try to get ahold of.

Anything else you'd recommend looking into?
Quote by tarlkea
When I say offensive I mean offensive like dressing up as superman in a wheel chair offensive, not penis suit offensive.
Quote by Teh Forest King
Thanks for all the suggestions! I'm really interested in that Red Bear thing. Coincidentally, the amp I plan to have made is a "Bear Paw" Growler. They're made by a guy out in Michigan I believe, so I've been emailing him recently about having one built.

How would I go about getting a redbear? They seem sort of strange to try to get ahold of.

Anything else you'd recommend looking into?

Redbears are a bit rare to find, but you can get them on Ebay for around 500 give or take.

Just screen the Craigslist, Ebay, and other gear classifieds. You're bound to find one eventually.

Other than that, I guess there are a few other amps that can work.

If your custom amp is going to have the main grit in your tone, with a bitey high mid crunch, I'm assuming you want a smooth, full low to go with it, right?
Quote by imgooley
Redbears are a bit rare to find, but you can get them on Ebay for around 500 give or take.

Just screen the Craigslist, Ebay, and other gear classifieds. You're bound to find one eventually.

Other than that, I guess there are a few other amps that can work.

If your custom amp is going to have the main grit in your tone, with a bitey high mid crunch, I'm assuming you want a smooth, full low to go with it, right?

Yeah. My tone is going to be kind of grimy and stuff, so I kind of want to balance the crisp sound of the amp with some really low kind of heavy sounding amp. I was thinking Sunn's as well. I basically would say the closest thing to what my ideal tone is like is Jane Doe-era Converge, then sometimes when I'm feeling a bit more cleaned up, stuff like The Big Dirty style Every Time I Die.
Quote by tarlkea
Lol, I was going to say Sunn Sonic I-40 or a Beta Lead (may be too loud). Though I've not heard what the Beta Lead sounds like clean, it does sound huge.
haha! do you know much about the ampeg ss series? I know they have a lot of gain I mean, they are ampegs so I figure they'd pull in some lows. I know theyre really high gain though.
Quote by tarlkea
Quote by Teh Forest King
haha! do you know much about the ampeg ss series? I know they have a lot of gain I mean, they are ampegs so I figure they'd pull in some lows. I know theyre really high gain though.

They have great cleans, I know that.

They are very similar to the VH-140's as well. They have good low ends to them. Titan36(a member who frequents around here) has one, so he'll be able to give you more info.

If you're looking into the Ampegs, and are brand name biased, you should also give the Crate GX series a look. Very similar to those Ampegs.

There's also the Crate Stealth that might be worth checking out, as well as a Peavey VTM.

EDIT: It might also be worth it to try running a 2x15 cab, as well, or a bass cab of some sort with the amp you're looking to get.
Ok cool. I've actually heard that about the Crates.

I've been thinking about running either a 6x12 or a 8x10 (bass). Not sure yet though.
Quote by tarlkea
Quote by Teh Forest King
Ok cool. I've actually heard that about the Crates.

I've been thinking about running either a 6x12 or a 8x10 (bass). Not sure yet though.

A 6x12 would be good, but an 8x10 might be a bit punchy. I've never run or heard a guitar through an 8x10 before, though, so I might be wrong.

An old Acoustic or Sunn 2x15 would be awesome though.
Hey dude, is the guy your having the amp built by Ontariomaximus? He seems to favor Bad Cats and is up by Michigan...
1987 Ibanez Jem 777LNG #124
2012 Herc Fede PMC Jem
1987 Ibanez RG550 Road Flare Red-R
Marshall JCM-1 W/Lead 12 Cab.
Wampler, Ibanez, MXR, Morley Pedals
Nope, its a guy named Jim Barrett.
Quote by tarlkea