where do you get your ideas for writing a solo? i finally wrote a song and i want to make a solo for it. yeah i know, scales but any other info would be great thanks!
I improvise most of my solos. I find writing them to be boring most of the time, but when I do write them in advance, I usually start by following the vocal melody and then gradually playing faster until I'm flying around the fretboard.
It's all about knowing what sounds you want, and understanding how to get that sound. I havn't written a solo using scales in quite awhile, I focus more on the chords.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Theory is descriptive, not prescriptive.

Quote by MiKe Hendryckz
theory states 1+1=2 sometimes in music 1+1=3.
Quote by The_Sophist
It's all about knowing what sounds you want, and understanding how to get that sound. I havn't written a solo using scales in quite awhile, I focus more on the chords.

using chords?
Quote by darkwolf291
i think he means arpeggioed chords..am i right?

no he means using the chords as a guideline somewhat. just improvise. you'll find that improvising gets easier the more you do it. play with other people. have fun.
To add to what has been said, it involves emphasizing chord tones and playing said chord tones on the downbeats a lot. Friedman talks about it in the video in my sig which I forgot to suggest watching.
I like to have the drummer record his drum track alone then I play it over and over concentrating on the tempo and then I just let it flow. As for the scales in the actual solo, I start with a lick in the simplest scale known to man (pentatonic) then stretch it out using intervals. Eventually I find I'm moving about the neck to all kinds of random places while not sounding bad. A solo, in my opinion, is best though when it is (at least) somewhat improvised so working in intervals off of scales makes solos easy to create on spot. I hope this made sense.
I'll record the progression that I'm going to solo over, onto a cd. (I'll usually make it at least 5 minutes long). Then I just play over it, over and over. When I come up with an idea that I like, I try to answer it. It's just like carrying on a conversation.
Here's an example; when you're talking, you might say, "I'm going to the movies." Now hopefully the next thing you say will have something to do with going to the movies. You wouldn't say, "I'm going to the movies. I like playing video games." The two statements have nothing to do with one another.
Try to keep this in mind when creating your solo.

I must confess something; I stole this idea from Scott Henderson.
There's my way and the wrong way.
Quote by darkwolf291
just let it flow outta you..stop thinking about playing and play...record it or remember it, then tweak it till you like it.

That's probably the worst thing you can do, especially early on. You should always be thinking about what you're playing.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
i don't really write solos. when it comes to writing music with the bands i work with, we get the drummer to record first, using a click track, as reference, then the bassist will record over the drummer, then finally, me and the other guitarist/vocalist will get together, write our chordal progression that we'll use for in the song. my lead guitarist is a theory guy, so he likes to uses the same pattern as our chordal progression to write solos, which don't get me wrong, produces some great solos, but gets boring after a while. When i write my solos/breakdowns, i tend to listen to the last 20 secs. of music before my solo will kick, in and then i'll just play. it takes a lot of patience to do it that way, but it feels great when you are done writing the solo.
hope that all made sense, but i think some of that has already been said. sorry for the repeats.
Quote by steven seagull
That's probably the worst thing you can do, especially early on. You should always be thinking about what you're playing.

I agree, why do people give such bad advice on this forum?
It's like this unhelpful crap just "flows" out of them