what are some stuff to make my singing better? i will probably have to sing in my band but im no good? would just hitting keys be good practice or the do re mi stuff
Want something that looks like spam but is actually legit?! Well I have the thing for you. Nah dude, I actually get legit MS points from this and do like 2 surveys and you can get about 400.

http://www.points2shop.com/?ref=EmoSlayer
Ask for someone to teach you how to sing ?

It's pretty useless to do exercises if you don't know how to sing.
ALL HAIL HYPNOTOAD

Quote by MetalMessiah665
Dude, I think I would know, Trivium invented Thrash, Metallica are lucky they got as far as they did piggy-backing off of Trivium's signature style.
Train your ear, not just your voice. I reccommend reading this*

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/lessons/for_beginners/ear_training.html

(and not everyone can sing, and from those who can many don't have a wide enough range. I have to sing for my band, and we're limited on our own songs until we get a new singer due to my range. I have the best range out of our band, but I'm unable to hit many high notes....)
Last edited by Invokke_Havokk at Feb 21, 2009,
Try joining a choir at school. Hell, just ask the choir director at your school if he/she would help you out. Most music teachers are more than happy to help anybody who's interested in music. If anything, the choir director should be able to hook you up with some phone numbers to get professional vocal lessons, which is what I would suggest above all else. Yes, they're expensive, but if you're serious about learning how to sing, they're well worth it.
My guitar modification blog.
Quote by MuffinMan
Jesus was all like "To those about to rock, I salute you." then he grabbed his mighty axe and rocked the Romans out really hard. Of course they were strict classical music so....
Quote by MattAnderson111
To be honest, some people just don't sound good.

I'm not 100% sure, but I don't think this is true. You can do vocal exercises to get your tongue out of the way etc. to make your tone better
*coughs* just found this....and I plan to use a lot of the tips given soon.

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1022092&page=1

@skizye

Depends on the their meaning of "good". You can have a "good" deep voiced singer (not even going to pretend to act like I know all the things like baritone and stuff.... lmao), and can have a good "high pitched" singer, but the deep singer can sing high pitched and to some that is "bad".

If you watched this season of American Idol, there was this guy with an extremely deep voice, and he couldn't sing "well" because of it, but if he were to be the deep singer (baritone? seriously, someone help me out here =p) he would be considered "good".

blah blah blah, rant that makes no sense, slap me now I guess?
Last edited by Invokke_Havokk at Feb 22, 2009,
Quote by Invokke_Havokk
blah blah blah, rant that makes no sense, slap me now I guess?

or do you mean like this ?
Dave Mustaine is a Joke

Quote by strat0blaster
Why don't you just all jam and see what comes out

That wat she said!!!!!!!!!!!

Watch Jason Newsted pisses off James Hetfield on YouTube.
if youve seen high school musical do those warm ups, even with the hand motions and everything
SATCH FTW!!!
NSW Group FTW!

There's nothing incredibly interesting here.
get a few vocal lessons. I have a mate (who used to be singer of my band actually, then we kinda fired him, but he's still friends with us) and in 2 lessons, he's improved heaps.

Sometimes, people can actually sing well, it's just their technique that's letting them down. I've been told i'm a good singer, but if i was to front a band, i feel i'd need to take a few lessons to get some form of technique happening.
Yeah a really good vocal teacher should beable to identify what you need to work on and give your exercises to improve it.
Unless a person is actually tone-deaf, (ie. can't tell by listening if one note is higher or lower than another.... can't even tell that they're different, really.....), then *anyone* can learn to sing. I'm proof. My voice was so bad, I refused to even try from the time I was 12 until I was about 22. Unlistenably bad.

The key here is voice lessons. There is no substitute. With learning proper technique, you learn tone, projection, and how to not strain your voice. Just don't expect miracles. It took me ten years of training to get where I am, and I'm still no Brad Delp... nor will I *ever* be. That's just the difference of physical limitations and natural aptitude.

Also, with training, most people can get 2 octaves, which is enough for most of the vocal repertoire ever written on this planet. Sure, you can find tons of exceptions, but for every exception, you can find about 10 songs that fall within two octaves, and of those ten, you'll probably find that 7-8 of them fall actually within an octave and a half.

To extend that.... *very* few people - like maybe 1 in 10 000 - actually have three octaves. Check this for a bit more of an explanation.
http://thebelcantotechnique.now-here-this.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=17&Itemid=30

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Last edited by axemanchris at Feb 22, 2009,
if you can't afford voice lessons from a one on one instructor, maybe you should try and get yourself a copy of brent manning's singing success. its a recorded cd lesson and although its harder to get feedback on what to fix, he gives advice on what major problems you should be looking for. it also includes quite a few good vocal excersices that will help you on your way to getting a better technique and tone.

my advice to you is to get a GOOD vocal instructor, major keyword is good, you don't want to learn impropper technique because of a ****ty instructor. and/or get yourself a copy of brent mannings singing success (it cost quite a bit, but the UG police are watching, so i can't tell you how i pirated it:P)
Gear:
Epiphone Sg-400 standard
Epiphone DR 100 VS
Fender FM 212
Boss ME-50