besides improvising may I ask ?

I have learned the minor pentatonic and been practicing it for quite some time now. The way I practice it is to play from beginning to end backwards. I heard that practicing scales helps you play faster and help on solos. But I really don't see how it can, at least not yet.

Can anybody give me a tips on this ? I really want to play fast and do those insane 3 notes solos T_T
Those crazy solos... Learn how to solo using the minor pentatonic then learn your full (modal) scales.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
yeah, of course I have to practice, but you know, I really want to know the right thing to practice not waste my time
Accuracy.

Get a metronome, pick a scale, stick the metronome on 60BPM (or slower if you cannot play this accurately), play 4 notes per "beat" (so 16 notes per 4 beats). Play the scale. When you can play accurately, increase the BPM by 5 or 10. (You can find a metronome online to use by googling "free online metronome" and the 3rd link or so is a good one if I remember correctly.)

Accuracy increases speed.

Speed and Accuracy increase your ability to play those "crazy 3 note solos".

Scales are in key.

Playing in key can help you write your own songs that will sound good.

Practice makes perfect, I was horrible at guitar until I realized that. Now I'm just bad :P
Last edited by Invokke_Havokk at Feb 22, 2009,
Music is composed around scales, if your fingers are used to performing the patterns found in scales accurately and well when you come up against songs/solos which use those scales you should find it easier to play them. Similarly, when you go to improvise or chreate your own solo, provided you've got the idea of how to use scales in context, it will be easier to play them and you should have more options open to you to use in the solo/song. It helps you play fast because you're practicing common patterns found in music.
That said, speed should not be the main focus of your playing. If you're trying to do stuff fast all the time, your technique will suffer as each individual note will not be clean. Practicing scales slower will still make you faster as it develops hand strength and co-ordination.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Quote by Invokke_Havokk
Accuracy.

Get a metronome, pick a scale, stick the metronome on 60BPM (or slower if you cannot play this accurately), play 4 notes per "beat" (so 16 notes per 4 beats). Play the scale. When you can play accurately, increase the BPM by 5 or 10. (You can find a metronome online to use by googling "free online metronome" and the 3rd link or so is a good one if I remember correctly.)

Accuracy increases speed.

Speed and Accuracy increase your ability to play those "crazy 3 note solos".

Scales are in key.

Playing in key can help you write your own songs that will sound good.

Practice makes perfect, I was horrible at guitar until I realized that. Now I'm just bad :P

This.

Know what chords these scales belong to. Try to stay with one key for practicing. Practice in a I-IV-V fashion.
Parker PDF30
Vox VT40+