Who do I need to know about to not feel like a fool around jazz guitarists?
haha there is to much to know!
Feelin the Blues

"The Blues are a simple music and I'm a simple man. But the Blues aren't a science, the Blues can't be broken down like a mathematics. The Blues are a mystery, and mysteries are never as simple as they look" - BB King
just bluff man

frequently rattle off exotic made up chords and cite Django as a major influence on your playing

>_>

<_<

I wish I could play jazz
Last.Fm

“If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.”
― Terry Pratchett

qft...

Jeremy Clarkson is a knob.
so true, i think theres a list that weve got on this forum thats got all the jazz guitarists we know on there. thats a start. but are you looking to learn jazz, like scales, improve, songs etc... or do you just wont to know about jazz?
Feelin the Blues

"The Blues are a simple music and I'm a simple man. But the Blues aren't a science, the Blues can't be broken down like a mathematics. The Blues are a mystery, and mysteries are never as simple as they look" - BB King
Yeah I've been working on jazz with my teacher and I want to study it more but I haven't listened to nearly enough of it.
Check some of these guitarsists:
Charlie Christian
Django Reinghardt
Joe Pass
Wes Montgomery
Grant Green
George Benson

But if you want to know more about jazz you also have to know some other-instrument jazz players such as:
John Coltraine - saxophone
Miles Davis - trumpet
Herbie Hancock - piano
Duke Ellington - piano
Louis Armstrong - trumpet
Last edited by TrasherFromHell at Feb 22, 2009,
Quote by TrasherFromHell
Check some of these guitarsists:
Charlie Christian
Django Reinghardt
Joe Pass
Wes Montgomery
Grant Green
George Benson

But if you want to know more about jazz you have to also know some non-guitarist jazz players such as:
John Coltraine - saxophone
Miles Davis - trumpet
Herbie Hancock - piano
Duke Ellington - piano
Louis Armstrong - trumpet

Awesome thanks, any particular albums? I also play sax, I need to listen to more sax players too
For Wes Montgomery you should listen to the album called Smokin' at the Half Note, I love the song Four on Six on that album.
I don't really know what are those musicians' best albums, I'm actually kind of like you right now I need to listen to jazz more often; so I don't really know what other albums to recommend just start somewhere and then decide which ones you like best yourself.
Quote by TrasherFromHell
For Wes Montgomery you should listen to the album called Smokin' at the Half Note, I love the song Four on Six on that album.
I don't really know what are those musicians' best albums, I'm actually kind of like you right now I need to listen to jazz more often; so I don't really know what other albums to recommend just start somewhere and then decide which ones you like best yourself.

Cool I'll check it out. I've been getting music from Spiralfrog (free ad-supported download site) and the selection is kinda hit or miss but they seem to have a lot of jazz so that's cool.
Quote by Jordan987
Awesome thanks, any particular albums? I also play sax, I need to listen to more sax players too

Sonny Rollins- The Bridge.

One of my favorite albums ever.

Jim Hall plays on that record.
If you're a sax player you should get Charlie Parker's complete recordings. He is practically the godfather of jazz.
Last.fm

Fender Deluxe Players Strat > Big Muff > LPB-1 > Moog Ring Mod > MXR Dynacomp > MXR Phase 90 '74 > Fender Hot Rod 410 (soon)
Quote by srvflood
If you're a sax player you should get Charlie Parker's complete recordings. He is practically the godfather of jazz.

Yeah I've been listening to him a lot lately. Man he plays some fast licks
Quote by Jordan987

Bennie Maupin sounds real good on the funky Hancock albums

Thrust and Headhunters are a go on killer sax
'Music is the best"
Zappa
Albums with great guitar:
Miles Davis - In a Silent Way
Freddie Hubbard - Straight Life
George Benson - White Rabbit
Grant Green - Green Street
Jim Hall - Concierto
Django Reinhardt - any compilation
charlie christian - any comp
Joe Pass - Virtuoso, Northsea Nights, Far Wes
Kenny Burrell - Midnight Blue
Wes Montgomery - smokin' at the half note, incredible jazz guitar of
^Add Joe Pass- For Django to that list
Smokin' at the Half Note By Wes Montgomery is one of my top albums.
Quote by srvflood

Wha-?! Charlie Parker was incredibly revolutionary, but citing him as the Godfather of jazz would be going over Louis Armstrong, Ellington and Strayhorn, Basie and Nestico, Art freaking Tatum, Woody Herman and every other bandleader from the swing era who strived to do art instead of dance music. In my honest opinion, he can't even be credited as the Godfather of modern jazz, bebop, not without Gillespie and Mingus, side by side.
Last edited by CanCan at Feb 25, 2009,
It was, but Parker was still part of the core group, with Gillespie, that turned bebop into what it is.

In addition to the ones mentioned above, pick up the Bill Evans albums that have Jim Hall (Undercurrents and Interplay). Also, John Coltrane and Kenny Burrell.