So before I start this thread I would like to apolgize to anyone who likes a traditional SSS Strat sound, because I'm killing it......

So I'm completely rewireing my american strat because I want something alot warmer and fatter but I don't want to get a new guitar because I love the feel of my strat.

Ok so I'm wiring this with a 5 way super switch and 500K pots. Its gonna be a HSH configuation wired similar to the way an ibanez JEM is. The only problem is I can't decide on pickups. I play mainly Satch, Vai, Paul Gilbert, and Neil Zaza.

My strats made of alder which sounds alot like the Basswood in many ibanez's but has a little more highs and lows.

Bridge: I was looking at the Dimarzio Evo, Breed, and Mo'Joe for this. I want a bridge pickup that has a smooth high end and can still screem so somewhere in the middle of the two would be nice. I'm worried the Evo wont be smooth enough and the breed wont have enough high end. The Mo'joe is there because I love Satchs tone lol.

Middle: Im looking at a Dimarzio Heavy Blues 2 and a Virtual Solo. I was originally dead set on a Virtual Solo but a Dimarzio sales rep reccommended the Heavy Blues 2 instead because he said the Virtual solo wasn't meant for a middle position. Thoughts?

Neck: This ones easy. PAF Pro.

Can someone give me some insight on this? Also if you would like to reccommend something else please feel free. Thanks in advance and sorry if I was long winded.
American Strat:
Area 61 Neck, Area 67 Middle & Bridge
Spretzel Locking Tuners
Graphtech Nut & String Tree
Lots O' Love!

JSX + Orange Cab
Fender Blues Deluxe
Deluxe Memory Man
Fulltone Full Drive 2 & OCD
H2O Chorus/Echo
I think this one should go in the Gear Building & Customizing Forum.
Anywho, I think you should maybe see if you can try out some guitars that have the pickups you are looking at. It won't sound quite the same in different guitars but it will give you a good idea.
i usually go with 250k pots in strats. I think you might find 500k a tad too bright.
Quote by al112987
i usually go with 250k pots in strats. I think you might find 500k a tad too bright.

That's what i as about to say, but then noticed you're using humbuckers. Still you might want to be a bit wary because of the alder wood. Maybe if it was mahogany or something similar it would work better. Also i recommend maybe a PAF-styled pickup on the neck to pair up with the Evo.
Originally Posted by evening_crow
Quoting yourself is cool.

WARNING: I kill threads.
Last edited by evening_crow at Feb 22, 2009,
Quote by al112987

500K pots are extremely bright for single coils, but not so much for humbuckers, so thats why the change.
American Strat:
Spretzel Locking Tuners
Lots O' Love!

JSX + Orange Cab
Fender Blues Deluxe
Deluxe Memory Man
H2O Chorus/Echo
Last edited by Ninja Penguin77 at Feb 22, 2009,
Quote by al112987
I use 500k in my les paul and it's still very bright.

lol I have 500K in my Epi les paul and I hate it because its waaaaaaaaaaay to smooth no matter what I do..... so Im selling it so I can afford these pickups!
American Strat:
Spretzel Locking Tuners
Lots O' Love!

JSX + Orange Cab
Fender Blues Deluxe
Deluxe Memory Man
H2O Chorus/Echo
The Breed will be perfect, it lacks high end relative to an Evo, but so does pretty much every other pickup.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com