I'm really tired right now and I'm thinking about a bunch of weird questions so sorry if this one is, but I was thinking about the future (since I'm a teen) and bass playing. Like if you didn't do anything with music in the future and it was hard to find people to play with, for example, would there be a point in owning an expensive bass if there's no one to play it with or to hear it in public? Meaning that the only time you play it is by yourself, and not even recording or anything handy you could do at home, like youtube videos or something. Is it still cool to play bass even in the most limited of situations like these, and an expensive bass at that?
i figure if you own an expensive instrument, you should plan on having it for your whole life... therefore it becomes priceless (or some spare cash when times get tight and you dont give a **** anymore)
If you play bass because you love Bass and music in general, the HELL YA its worth it. BUT if you play bass just for the sake of having a better/more expensive bass than the people you know then know, its not worth it
"You Laugh at me for Being Different. I laugh at you for all Being the Same."

Girls I want to Intercourse
Jessica Alba
Oprah
Girlicious (each of them)
Betty White
I have a Spector NS-2 that I only play at home by myself because I don't want it to get hurt by an idiot or stolen so I believe its perfectly fine
I'll lay waiting, just waiting for my time to come
Playing an instrument is soley for your enjoyment.
You may make music that you one day decide to share with others, but all that music should be made for yourself to begin with.
So, in other words, if it makes your musical experience better, and you think it's best for you; Then by all means, get an expensive bass. =]
You don't need an expensive bass to play live, and you don't need to be playing it live to own an expensive instrument. Do what you want.
Buy it if you enjoy bass, don't buy it if you just want a better instrument so you can brag to your pals.
Its just a case of wether you love playing enough to buy one. Its like a self satisfaction thing, just knowing that you own something expensive make you kind of proud!

The people who have played millions of rubbish gigs with their rubbish guitar they bought for £10 off their best mate are the people who will truely appreciate an expensive instrument
The Official "Rockin' Roadie"

-Lakland Skyline 44-02
-Fender Marcus Miller Jazz
-Fender MiM Precision
-Fender TC90 Thinline
-Squier Stratocaster w/mods (1989)
-Orange Dual Terror
-Marshall Valvestate 8280
-Marshall VS412
-Various pedals
I wouldn't buy an expensive one if you don't need it. And also price isn't everything. You might find a cheap/2nd hand one that you like more.

If i had an expensive one i'd be worried about damaging it while playing, or it being stolen.
He who knows all, knows nothing in the eye of a imbecile.
Quote by AlienMetalhead
I wouldn't buy an expensive one if you don't need it. And also price isn't everything. You might find a cheap/2nd hand one that you like more.

If i had an expensive one i'd be worried about damaging it while playing, or it being stolen.

I'm worried about that, to be fair... hence I'm going to be taking out the most comprehensive insurance package for it I can find
Expensive doesn't necessarily mean good, though. What you want is a good bass.

If you're in it for the love of playing, it's more than worth it. You'd feel a sense of achievement every time you hold it. Trust me.
1. Buy it because you love it--because the instrument gives you joy to play and because its a work of art. Better instruments always are.

2. It will bring your playing to new levels and new places.

3. Yes...its an investment. I once sold a Les Paul guitar that funded my trip to California and floated me economically for a few months.
Well, if you are playing bass for personal enjoyment and it makes you feel good, no. But if you are one of those attention guitarists, then yes, you have a problem.
Quote by Azgirio
Yeah, you definitely raped his churches and burned his women.

Quote by LordBishek
Forgive the bluntness, but what in the chucklefucking hell is this?
Because it sounds 10x better and is 10x more versatile. You get what you pay for (unless your buying someone's sig model, then you're paying for a name).
If it's worth the extra £100/£200/£2000, then sure. But not to go "and my bass cost me £3000!" on internet chat rooms.

Ibanez SR506BM
Ashdown Little Giant 1000w
Peavey TVX 115+410
A big ass upright

Yeah, I'd obviously get it for the love of music and playing and bass. That's stupid to grt it just to brag. I was just wondering about all this stuff in the future and it made me think if it would still be worth it.
Theres no reason not to have a good\high end instrument, if you can afford it and plan to use it, my next bass for certain is a MM stingray, thats what i consider high end, not the highest of ends but getting there. I ant to have instruments that i dont have to upgrade, and that appreciate in age.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
I'd say if you love music, get whatever bass you feel best playing it on. However, if your future doesn't involve playing gigs/recording, I wouldn't drop a ton of money on a boutique level bass. Something in the $1000ish range might be justified, however a Fodera or similar top-of-the-line bass wouldn't be unless your profession is playing bass.

I own a Schecter Stiletto, which was about 700, and I'm planning on going to college for bass performance and make a living off of it, but I doubt I'll be upgrading for a good long while.
Last edited by bass_kid92 at Feb 22, 2009,
^ I don't share that view. The high end boutique basses I personally consider works of art, and if I owned one, it would very much be on show in the house, like I'd show a painting. And again, I bring up the word investment- boutqiue basses will barely depreciate in value, if at all.
^ That's if he had a ton of money to buy it with, which I'm assuming he doesn't since he's still a teenager. I'm with you though, if I can ever afford it, I'll have a Fodera Imperial 6 string hanging up in my house when I can stand to take my hands off it.
I think for me the instrument is a tool, like a drill or a hammer. If I use it every day, regardless of wether I'm using it to build a skyscraper or birdhouses in my garage, I'm going to want a decent quality tool because it'll be more effective to get the job done. In this case, the bass is a tool to get musical ideas from your brain to your fingertips and through an amp. It's in that respect that I'm not too worried about damaging my instruments. They're meant to be played, not babied. If you baby an instrument you'll never break it in.

The reason you play shoulden't justify the price tag of your instrument, your playing should. Doesn't matter if you play gigs every night or if you play for your cats. The price tag isn't necessarily a bar of quality, either. There are lower priced instruments that play as well or better then the most expensive. You may find an old squire that was built with a certain quality of wood or electronics that plays far better then any Fender Jazz bass you find. Price tag should only be a factor when it has to be, otherwise it should all be about how the instrument feels and responds to your fingers.

I'm getting into tl;dr territory, so I'll just say no, it shoulden't matter what you do with it. The quality of the bass you play should reflect the quality of your playing.
-Guitar Gear-
1995 American Fender Strat, EMG 85 pup
Randall RH200 Head
Marshall 1960a Cab
Woods Acoustic
-Bass Gear-
Spector Legend 4 bass
Washburn Bantam bass
Hartke HA2500
Fender Bassman 410H
Play what you love, love what you play
i think it all depends how much pleasure you get out of it. If you enjoy simply having it, that's reason enough to keep it. Plus, expensive instruments tend only to appreciate in value, so when your future spouse begs you to get rid of it so you can pay your kid's college tuition...
Well you guys convinced me that it's still cool to have it even if you can't "do" anything with it. But regardless, I'm gonna try to do as much as I can with music in the future, so hopefully that will work out.