ive gotten a little bit confused on chord construction between major, minor, and minor/major 9ths but these would be minor/major 9ths right.

(x31313) and (810888)
Want something that looks like spam but is actually legit?! Well I have the thing for you. Nah dude, I actually get legit MS points from this and do like 2 surveys and you can get about 400.

http://www.points2shop.com/?ref=EmoSlayer
A Major9 chord is made up of the Root, 3rd, 5th, 7th, and 9th degrees of the Major scale.

A minor9 is Root, b3rd, 5th, b7th, and 9th.

as for minor/Major9's, I think you mean minor add9. Which is Root, b3rd, 5th, and 9th.
There's my way and the wrong way.
Quote by Emo-Slayer
ive gotten a little bit confused on chord construction between major, minor, and minor/major 9ths but these would be minor/major 9ths right.

(x31313) and (810888)

the first chord i believe would be a D# major 9th, the g confused me a bit and the c would be a 7th using the 9 rule would invert that to a major 9th or something [basic music theory student in high school]

edit:

forget what i said earlier

the first chord is a D#Mdim7th because the notes in the chord happen to be C D# A# C G [F double sharp]

in the key of D there are two sharps F and C in this case, sharping the key [D#] will double sharp the F and C in a key already full of sharps

so lets pretend there is a D# major: D# E# F## G# A# B# C## D#
your first chord has a D# major: D# G[F##] A#
and then you stick the diminished 7th: C

the other chord i think is just a C minor with an added 4th or something

[again i may be completely wrong!!!!]
Last edited by nivlarama at Feb 22, 2009,
Sorry, I didn't notice the chords the first time.
Actually, both of the chords you've got there are minor7 chords.
The notes on the first one are C, Eb, Bb, C, & G - 1,b3, 5, b7.
The second one is C, G, Bb, Eb, & G. Same thing, just a different voicing.

As for which notes you can leave out of a chord;
The least important note in a chord is the 5th. Unless its a #5 or a b5.
The next one is actually the Root. The bass player should be playing it anyway.
The 3rd is the most important because it determine whether the chord is major or minor.
So in a 9th chord, you should have the 3rd, 7th, and 9th for sure.
There's my way and the wrong way.