Right, I'm learning about modes so i can mix up my playing and i understand about how they are all constructed off the major scale, but what i don't understand is, if we take the modes of C major:

C Ionian
D Dorian
E Phrygian
F Lydian

etcc.....

in soloing say the song was in C Major, but i wanted to make the solo sound Dorian like. Would I play C Dorian to spice it up, or play D Dorian to keep it within the key signature.

This is really confusing me

I'm certain it must be play C Dorian

otherwise D Dorian would be hard to mix up as it'd just sound like C Ionian but you'd start on a different note

Help?
If your chord progression is C major you can't play D dorian.
If you play C dorian over C major it will sound strange. Probably bluesy due to the b3 and b7.
Quote by Declan87
If your chord progression is C major you can't play D dorian.
If you play C dorian over C major it will sound strange. Probably bluesy due to the b3 and b7.

Is that because D Dorian is just C major.

and when you say it will sound strange is it a good strange as in modally

like will it sound different but cool?
It wouldn't be modal playing either way. Modes are complicated, but I believe that the only way you can play C Dorian is over a Cm7 static vamp or another strictly modal progression. Hence you can't play D Dorian over any key in C either. I'm not sure what you would call it if you used C dorian(as in, the intervals W-H-W-W-W-H-W) over a C major vamp/progression.
Quote by dancelasvegas
Is that because D Dorian is just C major.

and when you say it will sound strange is it a good strange as in modally

like will it sound different but cool?

Play it and decide for yourself.

^Although he wouldn't technically be playing modally (because when you're playing modally there can't be any chromatic notes) the best way to refer to it would proabably be just "playing C dorian over a C major progression". You could also just say he was playing in C major but using b3 and b7.
Quote by 12345abcd3
Play it and decide for yourself.

^Although he wouldn't technically be playing modally (because when you're playing modally there can't be any chromatic notes) the best way to refer to it would proabably be just "playing C dorian over a C major progression". You could also just say he was playing in C major but using b3 and b7.

Im pretty sure they would just be though of as accidentals or chromatic notes. Dorian is a minor mode, it wouldnt work over C major.
If the progression is in C major, you play the C major scale. Modes have absolutely nothing to do with it. Delete this thread, read the theory sticky and crusade articles, and make sure you have a working knowledge of tonal harmony before worrying about modes.

Modes are not something you use to "spice up" your playing. They are used in contexts specifically designed for them.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.