where is the best place in your opinion to start a band?

The reason I ask is because next year im going to be moving away for college and would really love to start a band. I wanna stay in california because its home and i love it here. so any suggestions?

I was tinking about going to school at UCsanta barbara and living in isla vista. im thinking that might be perfect simply because of the fact that there are 8,635.2 people per square mile of which 74% are students ages 18-25. what do you guys think
I was under the impression that the bay area was the place to be in California when it comes to music.
go to l.a and make a rap group woot woot!
Quote by Allnightmask22

Alternatively, have your friends hold him down, then take a dump in his mouth, make sure your genitals don't touch him though, that's gay.

Quote by RageAgainst...
Teddy-Metal
for those who like to mosh, but just wanna cuddle afterwards

smashing pumkins fans=)^
Quote by brooklynsoulja1
go to l.a and make a rap group woot woot!

I like rap.

Its all mostly luck and contacts. I would say that you have the right idea though, appeal to the kids.
Quote by Zycho
I was under the impression that the bay area was the place to be in California when it comes to music.

+1
My guitar modification blog.
Quote by MuffinMan
Jesus was all like "To those about to rock, I salute you." then he grabbed his mighty axe and rocked the Romans out really hard. Of course they were strict classical music so....
Yep.... luck, contacts, and having great songs. Most of the biggest industry players are in LA, so if you want to make contacts, that's the place to be.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
I've heard first-hand stories of people going out to L.A to try and make it and they told me not even to bother.
There is such an UNGODLY number of bands out there, all trying to make it, that the chances of getting seen is practically 0.
It's not like '70s/'80s anymore out there.

Look at it this way:
1.) California is a huge state, and therefore, there's already going to be tons of bands.
and
2.) Everybody and their brother has heard of stories of people moving to L.A. and so the general opinion is that that's the way to go. But, if all the people who think that move there themselves, that adds even MORE bands out there.
Quote by SteveHouse
This thread is officially about sucking Sleaze off for a sig.

Quote by tayroar
Hey Sleaze I'll give you a blowjob if you sig me. Maybe even some nudey photos?

Quote by crazy8rgood

Sleaze, that made me lulz in my pants.

Quote by 36mikeyb36
hahaha Sleaze i'd give you my mom for that one.
Last edited by Sleaze Disease at Feb 22, 2009,
But if you're trying to make it in the biz, you are competing with those bands anyways. In fact, they represent only a small fraction of all the other bands out there. If anything, it gives you a realistic perspective on how competitive the whole music biz is.

If you can't make it in LA, what makes you think you can make it world-wide?

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Quote by Highwaytohell
Just out of curiosity- how does NYC fare as far as getting contacts in the biz go?

as far as i know there about the same, just two different music scenes though, west and east cost music. And LA is just notorious from the 80's glam rock/metal era, where almost every other band was being signed to some sort of label.
I heard from an American friend that people around L.A and Hollywood just tries to rip you off mainly, while the people that are actually into the music are stationed mostly in N.Y.

But that's about Black Metal, so i'm not sure if it applies to other genres aswell. It might though.. Then again.. This place is filled with Americans who probably know better.. So this post is completely worthless.. WEEE!

Good luck tho'!
FUCK YOU ALL!

666 BLACK METAL HOLOCAUST!!!!!