What I'm trying to do is record a simple three chord progression then just solo over it.

Now, I'm not great with theory, and so this isn't ending up so well, I'm hoping someone here may be able to point out where I've gone wrong.

So I recorded three chords, 1C 4F 5G, so the whole 1 4 5 thing, so I believe it's in C Major. It's relative minor should be A right? So I should be able to play an A minor pentatonic scale over top of this chord progression and have it sound okay... right?
Quote by 20cdndollars
You are god, floppypick

Floppydick

If that's how you read my name, leave a message saying so on my profile
Last edited by floppypick at Feb 22, 2009,
it might. sounds logical
Epiphone G-400
Yamaha Pacifica (Mod on hold due to procrastination)
Rocktron Banshee
Marshall 10CD

Quote by geetarguy13

I've never smoked before but it looks like fun.
I believe you should play C Major scale since the chords are from C Major, although A Minor is the relative minor and has the same notes, it isn't the same thing.
You can play the A minor but I think you need to put some more thought into it if you want it to sound right. Things such as what notes you play over which chord play into it to I think. Usually I find if I listen to the preogression a few times I can usually figure it out if not I'm sure there's a more logical explanation or theory to getting this sort of thing right but my knowledge of theory is pretty basic.

Maybe check out the musicians talk forum and see if they've got anything stickied for this? I usually hunt there when I'm confused about something
C Major and A minor are the same scale. But the notes you need to emphasise are the chord tones, that you're playing over. C is spelled C,E,G. So, when that chord comes up, make those notes your target notes. Same for F - F,A,C. And G - G,B,D.
There's my way and the wrong way.
Quote by seth's daddy
C Major and A minor are the same scale. But the notes you need to emphasise are the chord tones, that you're playing over. C is spelled C,E,G. So, when that chord comes up, make those notes your target notes. Same for F - F,A,C. And G - G,B,D.

This is what I was thinking of - thank you!!
Quote by firesprite
This is what I was thinking of - thank you!!

No problem. I'm just here to help.
There's my way and the wrong way.
Quote by Rave765
I believe you should play C Major scale since the chords are from C Major, although A Minor is the relative minor and has the same notes, it isn't the same thing.

that is what i would do
If it wasn't for bad luck, I wouldn't have no luck at all