Hi folks. I'm looking to get maybe 1 or 2 pedals for my guitar rig to make it a bit more versatile. My main idea is to find a Fuzz pedal suitable to play things like Hendrix or other 60s and early 70s rock. I'm basically looking to play a pedal through my amp's clean channel to get a more "classic" rock tone sort of like Hendrix rather than what my current amp's distortion is like (mine is more suited to 80s hair metal and hard rock). Now, my understanding is that a fuzz pedal will get me a Hendrix like or The Kinks' like effect.

I don't know anything about Fuzz pedals at all, or brands, so I'm looking for some suggestions from you folks. Thank you in advance.

I'm also thinking about a wah pedal and a tubescreamer. I know that you need a Wah pedal to get the effect that Satriani does sometimes in his songs, and also like the intro to Voodoo Chile by Hendrix. Do wah pedals become novelties after a while or are they actually nice to have?

Also I'm not sure what a tubescreamer pedal is exactly. As far as I can tell, it's to tighten up the sound on your distortion channel or something like that. How useful would that be for me?

Lastly, like I mentioned previously, I don't really know anything about which wah or TS pedals are good or which brands are good, so please share your opinions and suggestions.
my MG15DFX has a button that simulates the sound of one of the expensive tube marshall amps

Fender Stratocaster HSS
LTD EC-400AT
Traynor YCV-50 Blue
Peavey Envoy 110

Wishlist: Hamer USA Explorer, Gibson Explorer
well, sounds like you want a good "classic" tonebender type of fuzz. how comfortable are you with soldering and building your own pedals?

also, seems like you want a good italian-modeled wah. a standard vox 847 will do the job, but there are also better pedals out there.

do you have a set budget right now?

and a tubescreamer is an OD, a very popular model and design of OD. they will help to push your amp into overdriven tones, or, if used in the effects loop to "tighten" up the amps gain.
Fender Fuzz Wah.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vLbe_JW5rEE

Fuzz and Wah in one pedal [can adjust amount of fuzz by leaning left/right].
It also sounds pretty good. Might not be as good as a dedicated pedal for both, but it does seem very decent.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
Unless you know you have a use for a wah in a lot of songs, it becomes a novelty after awhile, atleast to me. I really use mine as more of a treble-booster in most cases.
You'll want a Clyde McCoy style wah for the Hendrix style tones.

Look at RMC/Teese Picture wah.
for wahs, they sorta become a novelty after a while, but youve always got a couple songs you can use it for. ive also started incorporating into some songs that dont have it, just to put my own touch on them. so sure you might not use it all the time, but its always nice to have one. as for what to get, if youve got a lower budget then i suggest the V847A by vox. more going to be a hendrix style wah than satch, but i think its one of the better wahs sub $100. if youve got more to spend, look into the RMC wahs. you can read the descriptions on his site to see what would suit you.

for fuzz, i almost always feel that the mass produced ones are not that great. hendrix used a fuzz face, but the current dunlop one is supposed to be not so good. if you can solder and read a schematic you can build one cheaply and easily. otherwise, a lot of more boutique companies produce nice fuzzes, sometimes a bit expensive though. id rather build my own, so i cant recall any good ones.

tubescreamer, youve got a few options. cheapest is a digitech bad moneky, which is a good, inexpensive ts clone. or you can go with the ibanez ts-9, or the maxon ts9 or ts808. maxon made the original ts, so people claim they do a better job. the 808 is the older version, which people think is smoother and more vintage sounding. but really, its one of those you need to compare the ts9 and ts808 side by side to see what you like.
Thank you all for the responses. I will look into the Vox wah for now and the McCoy one.

I don't have a set budget for now, if it's something worth it in the long run, I'm willing to spend a lil extra to get a good quality product rather than an entry level product.

About the tubescreamer, would something like the Maxon OD-808 help me get more vintage metal tone from my amp? Currently like I said in my 1st post, my amp does the 80s hard rock/hair metal thing very well as far as I'm concerned, which is my main tone. I would however like to be able to get something closer to the late 60s/early 70s classic rock, so this is where the Fuzz comes in, and I'd like to be able to get a tone a bit closer to 80s Judas Priest and 80s Megadeth, would one of these tubescreamers help me get closer to that (like a Ibanez TS-9 or Maxon OD-9 or Maxon OD-808)?
my MG15DFX has a button that simulates the sound of one of the expensive tube marshall amps

Fender Stratocaster HSS
LTD EC-400AT
Traynor YCV-50 Blue
Peavey Envoy 110

Quote by MustangSVT

I don't have a set budget for now, if it's something worth it in the long run, I'm willing to spend a lil extra to get a good quality product rather than an entry level product.

About the tubescreamer, would something like the Maxon OD-808 help me get more vintage metal tone from my amp? Currently like I said in my 1st post, my amp does the 80s hard rock/hair metal thing very well as far as I'm concerned, which is my main tone. I would however like to be able to get something closer to the late 60s/early 70s classic rock, so this is where the Fuzz comes in, and I'd like to be able to get a tone a bit closer to 80s Judas Priest and 80s Megadeth, would one of these tubescreamers help me get closer to that (like a Ibanez TS-9 or Maxon OD-9 or Maxon OD-808)?

i don't think that a ts9, od9 or od808 will have enough drive to make your clean channel approach the sound of Judus Priest or Megadeth.

you might consider a homebrew electronics power screamer. This pedal sounds as good (or better than) a tubescreamer...but, has much more versatility. it also has more drive than a tubescreamer...or, should i say more range...it will do the tubescreamer thing very well...it also has a larger range of drive. this pedal has 3 switchable modes. the middle setting is like a classic, semi-clean overdrive (like SRV rythym)...the left setting is like a medium overdrive which would probably take you from say a SVR hotter solo sound all the way to Judus Priest...you might find something similar to a Hendrix-ish sound on this left setting...only not quite as fuzzy...and more defined and searing. the third setting (to the right) is kind of over the top with fuzz and compression. the 3rd setting is a bit much for me...but, it does duplicate some stuff by neil young, for example.

i though that the RAT pedal was sort of a staple for the Judus Priest sound...but, i'm not sure. I used to have one many years ago...can't really remember what it sounded like. I remember that it was kind of too fuzzy for my tastes.

if you can find a good store somewhere...try em before you buy em.
Quote by killmeyer000
i don't think that a ts9, od9 or od808 will have enough drive to make your clean channel approach the sound of Judus Priest or Megadeth.

you might consider a homebrew electronics power screamer. This pedal sounds as good (or better than) a tubescreamer...but, has much more versatility. it also has more drive than a tubescreamer...or, should i say more range...it will do the tubescreamer thing very well...it also has a larger range of drive. this pedal has 3 switchable modes. the middle setting is like a classic, semi-clean overdrive (like SRV rythym)...the left setting is like a medium overdrive which would probably take you from say a SVR hotter solo sound all the way to Judus Priest...you might find something similar to a Hendrix-ish sound on this left setting...only not quite as fuzzy...and more defined and searing. the third setting (to the right) is kind of over the top with fuzz and compression. the 3rd setting is a bit much for me...but, it does duplicate some stuff by neil young, for example.

i though that the RAT pedal was sort of a staple for the Judus Priest sound...but, i'm not sure. I used to have one many years ago...can't really remember what it sounded like. I remember that it was kind of too fuzzy for my tastes.

if you can find a good store somewhere...try em before you buy em.

Thanks for the advice bro. There are quite a few music stores in my city, I plan to go to at least a couple of them together with my guitar and amp and try some pedals out before buying anything.

Fender Stratocaster HSS
LTD EC-400AT
Traynor YCV-50 Blue
Peavey Envoy 110