Page 1 of 2
I was in HMV earlier and they were wanting £16 for The Twilight Sads debut CD. Is it just me, or is that alot of money for a 9 song CD? The thing is, a quick google search reveals that only 5% of that will go to the band.

As a result, I'm going to illegially download the CD...and on the bands next tour, I'm going to go to a show, hang around until the band leaves, and give them a fiver. You have my word on this.

This way, the band actually makes more money from the illegial download instead of it all going to the record label and the shop. I want the band to continue making music for gods sake. This particular band were making so little money that they had to release an EP of live songs and out takes to stay afloat. Is that not a stark reminder of how little money they are making?

Good idea or not?

Me and my mate have this planned out btw, it's not some whim on the moment thing
U2 - Boy was £16... I lol'd but then i cryed a little
If life gives you oranges, say "f*ck oranges" and bail.

Hey You!
You're going to hand them five bucks? What an insult.
Soon you will sit on the bench
of those who deny I have my soul
You sell a dream you create
Condemned by what you condemned before
Smooth are the words you sing down and high
Underground is your joy your laws
Quote by Ichikurosaki
Do it.

Get laughed at, but do it.

I don't even care man. I'm sick of paying money to support record labels that frankly do **** all.
Quote by MedicreDemon

That's actually about a 1000% markup on what they'd normally get when you think about it
ololololol You liekz Twiligiht! /kidding. Anyway, illegal downloading isnt really something you should be public about. Large fine is you're caught, and the FBI is probably watching your computer now.
"We were one among the fence"
Quote by diofan88
You have no idea how many mornings my dad has woken up to me in my underroos rocking out in the morning...on a mission...A MISSION TO ROOOOCCCCKKKKK!!!!!
Quote by MedicreDemon

No, five glorious Pounds, that's millions and billions of you backward currency.

*ignores state of turmoil British economy is in*

TS, I'm going to download two Nevermore albums in a minute, can you give them ten quid for the lot, please?
Quote by DrewsGotTheLife
yea man, who ever doesnt like pantera or think they suck doesnt like metal, end of discussion, they changed the freakin world n made history, so don't be sayin they suck, have respect, same goes for machine head n lamb of god cuz their good too
Quote by Insanitydenied
ololololol You liekz Twiligiht! /kidding. Anyway, illegal downloading isnt really something you should be public about. Large fine is you're caught, and the FBI is probably watching your computer now.

The FBI should be worried about the people sourcing the actual downloading.
Quote by freddaahh
No, five glorious Pounds, that's millions and billions of you backward currency.

*ignores state of turmoil British economy is in*

TS, I'm going to download two Nevermore albums in a minute, can you give them ten quid for the lot, please?

I don't know if you're taking the piss or not ( ) but Im deadly serious about doing this. Mostly for a laugh, but also to prove a small point, but a point nonetheless.
Quote by blackflag49
Isn't that 16something dollars American?

**** that.

Fixed for accuracy. Good plan TS, if you can pull it off that is.
If you illegally download it, then they won't get as many sales. If more people bought the cd's instead of downloading, then they would get more sales and want to make more cd's, instead of thinking "ok, no one likes this stuff, let's make a poppier cd and hope people will buy that this time". But yeah, that is a ridiculous price

It's only their debut cd, so of course they're only going to get 5% of it
Quote by aaciseric
Fixed for accuracy. Good plan TS, if you can pull it off that is.

You think the pound is equal to the US dollar?
Quite a good plan, they might appreciate the effort. An unlikely business model for any larger scale though...
I'm so adjective, I verb nouns.
A fine plan... except they won't have a record deal anymore if they don't make decent CD sales and legal downloads.
On vacation from modding = don't pm me with your pish
Or you could buy their CD when their on tour ? I'm pretty sure the band has some say ( especially since their on an indie label ) about the price. Did you see if it was being sold for a reasonable price anywhere else ? Maybe if they sold their CD's at an acceptable price people would buy them and they wouldn't need to put out EP's of outtakes they didn't feel where good enough for people to pay for in the first place.
and this is the company putting independant record stores out of business...you'd of thought that the best way to combat illegal downloads would be to REDUCE CD prices
Sig space available, give me some praise
Quote by Insanitydenied

Not anymore.
Quote by Tire Me.
Raping her in front of other people would be morally wrong.

Quote by Bubbles516
wtf290 uses make bubbles feel like crap
Its super effective!
Quote by The Shroom420
If you illegally download it, then they won't get as many sales. If more people bought the cd's instead of downloading, then they would get more sales and want to make more cd's, instead of thinking "ok, no one likes this stuff, let's make a poppier cd and hope people will buy that this time". But yeah, that is a ridiculous price

Are you retarded? Did you even consider the fact that they might not be in it for the money? They make real revenue from concerts.
Quote by PluckU
OH **** YOU says the computer, YOU MAY ONLY HAVE 1, READ IT, ONE AUDIO TRACK >:O I then i got pissed off and through my tuner against a wall
Quote by The Shroom420

That's a dilemma.
Buy the CD, but they get less money, but make more music the way they want.

Or download the CD, give them money via a different medium, make want to make a more successful album next time, make less music the way they want.

Of course, this doesn't include live music.
If a band is really popular live, then it's a combination of both options - money and proof of fans.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
Quote by meh!
A fine plan... except they won't have a record deal anymore if they don't make decent CD sales and legal downloads.

People can download stuff at their own risk, I'm just trying to prove a point. That I'll willingly pay for a CD that gives a fair price to the customer AND a fare % to the band. I'm not trying to convince anyone else to do this, I'm sure they'll survive on normal sales.

But then again, mostly for a laugh
Quote by MedicreDemon

It's getting close, one GBP is worth about $1.40 US now and still going down.

though accurately that album is about $22 US and not 39 something as someone said.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Quote by MedicreDemon

It's not far off, although I see the current rate is apparently 1USD = 0.7 GBP but a few months ago they were practically the same.

/\ okay he beat me to it.
If people stop buying their albums the label will not let them make any more, even if they're contracted to which just leaves them stuck in a deal.
Making CDs has looooads of overheads like recording costs, paying the band, publicity, writing the cd, photoshoots loads of things and the record companies foot the entire bill thats why they charge so much, they want a return.

Would i buy a cd though....not a chance lol too rich for my blood, I think they should seriously concider lowering their costs before they price themselves outta the market.

I'm on the honours year of a business degree and I had an entire 2 hour lecture discussing this very issue lol.
Two jews walk in a bar.....No achmed....what you dont let jews in your bar...you racist bas***d
Quote by blackflag49
Isn't that $23.12 American?

**** that.

You know you XE'd that shit :P
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
It's getting close, one GBP is worth about $1.40 US now and still going down.

though accurately that album is about $22 US and not 39 something as someone said.

I know it's not like pound is worth 2 USD, I was thinking the album would be around 25 USD. That's wicked expensive.
Quote by overkillest1987
Making CDs has looooads of overheads like recording costs, paying the band, publicity, writing the cd, photoshoots loads of things and the record companies foot the entire bill thats why they charge so much, they want a return.

They don't foot the bill, they just loan the bands money, it's one thing to want a reasonable return, but charging 20 bucks for a CD is just too much.

Last.fm
I was at Best Buy and Master Of Puppets was $18. I went to Walmart and got it for $8.
I always feel like I MUST buy something when I go in HMV.

I always get my CDs second hand.
they foot the bill in the sense they use their money and give it to the bands the money they get back would be the return on the "loan" i suppose but the difference is if the band doesnt make alot of money then they dont need to pay the record company back making it an investment.

sorry should have explain that a bit better
Two jews walk in a bar.....No achmed....what you dont let jews in your bar...you racist bas***d
but yeh prices are too high
Quote by overkillest1987
they foot the bill in the sense they use their money and give it to the bands the money they get back would be the return on the "loan" i suppose but the difference is if the band doesnt make alot of money then they dont need to pay the record company back making it an investment.

sorry should have explain that a bit better

actually, they usually do, that's why you hear of the occasional signed but not very popular band being in serious debt.

Last.fm
You need to learn how to use the USED section at music stores and on Amazon.com.

That is the only way I buy music. CD prices are so ridiculously high that I can not bare to pay 20 dollars (rounding up) per album when I want a constant flow of new music. I have gotten good black metal CDs for 2 dollars via Amazon.com, and generally do not spend more than 8 dollars anywhere for an album. I also dedicate myself to finding underground bands giving away free music.
Check out Hear the Indie for music reviews, interviews, and more.

Want a review? Send me a PM or email through the contact form on my site.
Quote by Insanitydenied

The FBI have no jurisdiction in Blighty...
"We must become members of a new race, overcoming petty prejudice, owing our ultimate allegiance not to nations, but to our fellow men within the human community."
- H.I.M Haile Selassie I
Page 1 of 2