Hi. I started out playing electric guitar but i've been interested into picking up an acoustic to mess around with and try to get a new sound and get a little creative + build up finger strength. I'd like something full size with a cut away to access higher frets. also, my budget is around $350- $500 US. i don't know much about acoustics, but I'm wanting one. Oh, and iwould prefer to have an electric/acoustic, so when i get an idea, i can see how it sounds through my amp.

All help will be greatly appreciated.
ovations are always good, also if your willing to go over your budget just a bit you could probably find a decent breedlove
I have an ovation only spent 200$ bucks on it amazing acoustic for the price besides it was my first so gotta love it
JAKE
thank you guys very much for your help. (it was actually a lot more help than i received when i asked the EG forum for my new electric) as soon as I get my next paycheck, i'll head over to guitar center and try them out.
Ovation make decent acousics but i think they're a bit $$$ but that CC24 look fine!
i personally have the Samick TMJ 5CE, and i'm loving the sound of it.
"When I tried to play something and screwed up, I'd hear some other note that would come into play. Then I started trying different things to find the beauty in it."
-Dimebag Darrell
Quote by TTElectro
Ovation make decent acousics but i think they're a bit $$$ but that CC24 look fine!
i personally have the Samick TMJ 5CE, and i'm loving the sound of it.

thank you for recomedation! ^_^ i will also look at one of those too.
Just a word of caution, don't buy an ovation without playing one first. Due to their highly irregular shape there's a bit of a love them or hate them feel about them, make sure you're one of the ones who loves them before you part with your cash.
^This man speaks the truth. Ovations are probably the biggest love/hate brand of guitars out there.

When you go to GC, try EVERYTHING within your price range when you go in. Keep an open mind. I would personally never buy an Ovation because I think they sound like toys.

Some good brands to look at are Takamine, Epiphone, and if your GC has them, Washburn, Seagull, and Alvarez.

When looking for an acoustic guitar you want to make sure it has a solid top. Why? Because a solid top will have better tone than a laminate top. There's a thread about solid tops somewhere on the front page. I'd read that for more information.
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
+1 everything Natrone said. I'd aim for Takamine (NOT Jasmine) or Alvarez out of that list, but that's a personal preference. The "Brand Elimination" thread has some choices leading the way that seem odd to me, but that stands as a testament that each brand appeals to somebody, somewhere.

Of course, ask me again and I'll say that if it isn't Martin, Gibson, or Blueridge it may as well be firewood.
Bluegrass Rocks

CYNONYTE!

Quote by Basti95
People only come here to get sigged anyway

Quote by Basti95
Rats, I thought someone would sig it and make me famous...

it was going to be my big break

Alverez is amazing too. I dont know how they run on price but they make fantastic acoustics
Alvarez have one of the best bang for your buck values of any brand out there. You can get a good solid top/solid back guitar from them for around $500....I think
Quote by necrosis1193

Quote by Silverstein14

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
I just bought me an Alvarez PD80sc....I also recommend Alvarez. They are some of the best acoustics for the money, and I swear they are easier to play than others. The action and fret dressing on most I have played has been perfect.
Random- Just as a warning, IMO if you like to play sitting down, Ovation is not for you. Due to the rounded back, they tend to slide off the knee.

Edit- I second the Alvarez reccomendation, I am constantly trying out new and different guitars but can never find anything I like better than my Alvarez AD-70sc. The bang to buck ratio is probably the best on the market(IMHO) .
Last edited by grayishhues at Feb 23, 2009,
take a look at the lower end taylors and martins. i recently purchased a taylor 110 for around 400 or 500 on sale at GC. its not nearly as nice as the higher end ones but they play amazingly for the price. mine doesn't have a cuttaway but they may make a version of the 110 that does. the other thing thats great is that the 110s r extremely durable and so far mines gotten banged around a few times and it doesnt dent or scratch at all making it perfect if u ever intend to play outdoors.

im not saying thats what u should definatly get and dont bother looking at anything else or anything because different brands, sounds, and styles are for different people but i suggest taking a look at them.

and on the topic of ovation.. ive played a couple but personally i didnt love them. i didnt hate them at all but they r different and i prefer to stick to the traditional wood... but on the other hand Charlie on Lost plays an ovation so i guess they must be good.
I'd be wary of the low-end Taylors and Martins. Taylors start at $600, and the Martins start at about $500. Why would I be wary?

Taylor acoustics below the 300 series have a solid top, but laminate back/sides. The same goes for Martin, except the Martin laminates are made of "High-Pressure Laminate", which is basically just a grey goop mixed with sawdust that is formed into the shape of a guitar, and then has a wood grain sticker slapped on it. I'm not kidding.

At this price, you can get an Alvarez Professional Series, which has at least a solid top/back, an Epiphone Masterbuilt, which are all-solid wood, the Seagull 25th Anniversary guitar, which is all-solid construction, as well as a number of other guitars that aren't coming to mind right now.
Quote by necrosis1193

Quote by Silverstein14

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray