I'm going to be in a death metal band soon and was wondering what size amp i should invest in. The other guitarist has a crate half stack, so what size amp would i need to compete with that? My budget is about $400-$500
well for death metal...a small enough amp so we can't hear it
Gear
-Fender American Stratt
-Tube Cricket
-Homemade 20 Watt Tube (pics+clips soon)
-MXR Stereo Chorus
-Holy Grail Reverb

Theres no sensation to compare with this, suspended animation, a state of bliss...
a marshall mg
Gear:
Fender MIA Strat w/EMG SA's
Fender Super 60
Boss RT-20 Rotary Sim
Ibanez AD-9 Analog Delay
EHX Big Muff

"Doctor Kindly Tell Your Wife
That I'm Alive, Flowers Thrive
Realise, Realise, Realise"
depends what the wattage (new word lol) of the bassist has. the general rule is that the bass amp has 4times the amount of watts the guitar amp has. e.g if the bassist has a 1000 watt amp, you should go for a 250 watt amp
what wattage is the other guitarists amp? is it valve or SS?
Quote by fleajr_1412
You have amazing taste in men.

Are You a PROG-HEAD? I am.
Probably something like a ValveKing and a Metal Muff would be good, but i'm not too sure what the price for that would be.
BEEP

<_<

>_>

Beeeeeeeeep
Well for death metal I can recomend a Marshall kind of stack but they are very expensive. On the other hand I think Ibanez amps the Tone Blaster Xtreme are very very good for heavy metal too, they have all that chunky distortion thrash and death metal require. They are very cheap too, so you can spend like 500 bucks in a 150W half stack. I recommend you get the matching cabinet so you can get the most out of the amp.
Last edited by BADHACKER at Feb 22, 2009,
Oh my Jesus this thread is fail.

No to every recommendation except the headroom and preamp gain. That is correct.

I'm thinking a Krank Rev Jr. will do the trick.
I'm putting my GAS on hold
for a couple months in order to pimp my ride.

Don't judge me.
Quote by BADHACKER
Well for death metal I can recomend a Marshall kind of stack but they are very expensive. On the other hand I think Ibanez amps the Tone Blaster Xtreme are very very good for heavy metal too, they have all that chunky distortion thrash and death metal require. They are very cheap too, so you can spend like 500 bucks in a 150W half stack. I recommend you get the matching cabinet so you can get the most out of the amp.

i gotta be honest this is really bad advice... high wattage doesn't mean good sound and the tone blaster is really poor.

anyways to ts, don't worry about trying to compete with someone else's amp because if everyone turned their amps up all the way, the drummer, vocals, etc. would be totally drowned out. whoever has the louder amp will just turn it down to suit the level of the band. also, for metal, you generally do not need to crank the amp's power section so much as the preamp, which provides more of the gain. look into the B 52 ATT series and Bugera amps for your situation, or go used and look at some high-gain peaveys.
Ibanez S320 with Dimarzio Fred + Seymour Duncan 59-> Weeping Demon Wah -> Ibanez TS-7 -> Homemade iBoost x3 -> Keeley DS-1 -> Visual Sound H2O -> MXR Ten Band -> Traynor YCV20
You are talking about a valve amplifier, and you know those cost a lot. If you are thinking about a 400-500 buck range then you best get a nice solid state amp. And I never said nothing about that good tone is achieved by more power out of the amp, tone is subjective so it's better that he tries a bunch of amps and then he adgjust them to his own taste, but.. a good valve amp for that price and enough power to match the other 120W amp??? its about 1000 bucks and even more, I'm not saying they are crappy or too fancy, I'm only saying that for a starting band or a recently active band it's better to start from the begining, then he can save enough for a decent valve amp I he wants to.
Quote by BADHACKER
You are talking about a valve amplifier, and you know those cost a lot. If you are thinking about a 400-500 buck range then you best get a nice solid state amp. And I never said nothing about that good tone is achieved by more power out of the amp, tone is subjective so it's better that he tries a bunch of amps and then he adgjust them to his own taste, but.. a good valve amp for that price and enough power to match the other 120W amp??? its about 1000 bucks and even more, I'm not saying they are crappy or too fancy, I'm only saying that for a starting band or a recently active band it's better to start from the begining, then he can save enough for a decent valve amp I he wants to.

You obviously don't know much, here, but there are perfectly good valve amps for metal for that price range, not $1000 bucks. A good SS half-stack is going to cost more than $500 bucks new anyway. Tube amps don't need 120W to match a 120W SS amp. They sound louder due to more audible frequencies. The 120W Crate is probably not even cranked anyway.

tl;dr: There are no GOOD new halfstacks in that pricerange, and tube myths ftl.

Some more recs:

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Randall-RG50TC-50W-1x12-Guitar-Combo-Amp?sku=481197

If you must have a metal halfstack for that price, Randall is the way to go:
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Randall-RX120DHS-120W-Half-Stack-Guitar-Amp-with-4x12-Cabinet?sku=481269
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Randall-RX120RH-and-RX412-Half-Stack?sku=481735
I'm putting my GAS on hold
for a couple months in order to pimp my ride.

Don't judge me.
Last edited by theoreticmusic at Feb 22, 2009,
Y'know, even in death metal, you're not in competition with the other guitarist. You're supposed to work together so overall you sound better than each of you wan.... um exercising your hands, solo.
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

You should see if you can buy a Peavey XXX (used) and a 2x12 cab (you'll have to save more thought.

Or a B-62 AT212
No muerde, no calla
Sin sangre no hay arte
Nada ni nadie
De nada más

If you go tube, 50 watts or more in 2x12 or halfstack format should be ample.
Gear List:
Ibanez S320
Lavey LV200
Squier Stratocaster Affinity HSS
No-Name Wesley Fat Strat copy
Peavey Rage 158
Quote by BADHACKER

Wow, you are so wrong in both of your posts it's not even funny.

+1 to theoreticmusic.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
50 watts tube is louder then a 120watt solid state. so you can get like a Peavey Valve King 112 tube, Bugera 6266/6262/333/333XL 212 combos, check out Ebay for Peavey 5150 combos, heads, Peavey VTM60s and 120s, Peavey Ultra60s and Ultra Plus, B52 At100s. even check like craigslist and all. can get very good equipment used at like half the price.

i would like at tube amps from about 50watts+ and at least a 2x12 if you are gonna be gigging and playing in a band
Gear:
Mesa MK IV head
Mesa 4x12 cab(3)
Marshall JCM900 2100 SL-X
BBE 482i
ESP eclispe II
B52 At-100 head
MXR and Boss pedals
Sparow guitars
Peavey 5150 II modded
JJ electronic tubes

BUGERA USERS MILITIA
I wouldn't recommend a VK for death metal, stock, although it can get there after some mods and tricks. The band 'Swamp Thing' uses Valvekings with the BBE Sonic Maximiser, check 'em out on MySpace if you like their tone. Size is irrelevant as long as you get the tone you need.

My main recommendations would veer towards solid state amps such as:

1. Line 6 Flextone III
2. Crate GX130C
3. Ampeg VH140c
4. Line 6 Vetta II
5. Randall RG100C
6. Marshall MOSFET Lead 100

However, there are a couple of tube recommendations in that price range. Most tube amps in that range don't get enough gain or low-end to do death metal well, but here are the exceptions:

1. B-52 AT112, 212 or AT100*
2. Bugera 6262, 333, 333XL, 1990*
3. Mesa F-30, F-50, DC-3, DC-5
4. Peavey 6505+ combo, 5150 combo, XXX or Ultra
5. Crate Blue Voodoo.

Note: All of these amps are to be found used.

*: If you're looking at these, they may require a once-over by a tech; the earlier B-52 amps had problems with overheating, and the Bugeras have unreliable solder joints, are biased too cold and low quality tubes and fuses.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Last edited by Raijouta at Feb 22, 2009,
Quote by Kevin Saale
Yeah, don't think that's quite suited for death metal.

agreed, i believe it is more marshall-voiced
if you go used you could find a high gain peavey in that price range: probably a 5150, 6505, xxx, ultra. they have surprisingly low resale value.
new, a bugera or b52 as i mentioned in the other post? you could afford a decent randall too.
krank rev jr. would also probably work, a bit above your price range though. as you may notice it is only 20 watts tube. which is FINE because the other guitarist can simply turn his amp down. if you turned all the knobs all the way up on a 20 watt tube amp, you'd probably kill several of us.
Ibanez S320 with Dimarzio Fred + Seymour Duncan 59-> Weeping Demon Wah -> Ibanez TS-7 -> Homemade iBoost x3 -> Keeley DS-1 -> Visual Sound H2O -> MXR Ten Band -> Traynor YCV20