Right, this thread is about a general thing i've been wondering about for a while.

Is it normal to have to use a fuzz pedal on a clean amp channel?

If i even slightly distort the amp then i get this weird squishy kinda compressed sound when i put the fuzz on? Is this something only the big muff pi that i use has or something to do with the SS power amp in my vox valvetronix or is it just the way fuzz pedals are?
Big muff pi is a pretty good fuzz. I'd imagine it isn't liking your valvetronix to well
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
well a big muff isn't a fuzz

its more of a cross between a fuzz and distortion
but the big muff is really for a tube amp
Gear:
Fender MIA Strat w/EMG SA's
Fender Super 60
Boss RT-20 Rotary Sim
Ibanez AD-9 Analog Delay
EHX Big Muff

"Doctor Kindly Tell Your Wife
That I'm Alive, Flowers Thrive
Realise, Realise, Realise"
it may be the fact that you are using an SS amp, and they react differently to a signal change than a tube amp does.

generally, i use my fuzzes off of a clean (or about to break-up) amp. also, i sometimes get the urge to use them with my amp cranked. both sound spectacular, although a little different depending on the base tone.
Big Muffs usually don't sound good in front of an overdriven amp. They're meant to be put in front a clean amp.
Last edited by Mitchell? at Feb 22, 2009,
Quote by Mitchell?
Fuzzes usually don't sound good in front of an overdriven amp. They're meant to be put in front a clean amp.

Tell that to Jimi Hendrix
Quote by al112987

That's what I was thinking.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
Hmmm so this would mean its a fuzz+SS problem and not the overdrive causing the problem? I'm pretty sure the distortion on my amp comes from the preamp tube on the non clean amp settings yet i still end up with the same annoying bad abd muddy compressed tone, so does this mean the power amp causes the problem for me?
Quote by Zoot Allures
Hmmm so this would mean its a fuzz+SS problem and not the overdrive causing the problem? I'm pretty sure the distortion on my amp comes from the preamp tube on the non clean amp settings yet i still end up with the same annoying bad abd muddy compressed tone, so does this mean the power amp causes the problem for me?

yeah, its an all over SS problem.

the amp circuits are wired different between SS and Tubes, so you cant really say "oh, its a power amp problem" with a hybrid amp.
Quote by al112987

I was talking about Big Muff's, not Fuzz Faces. I'll edit my first post.
Quote by Mitchell?
Big Muffs usually don't sound good in front of an overdriven amp. They're meant to be put in front a clean amp.

I disagree wholeheartedly.

When I used my vox, I ran it on the AC30 channel with the muff. Best sound for Garage rock I got out of that thing.

Slightly overdriven+fuzz=win.

That's how I run my crate 95% of the time.

EDIT: Fuzzes tend to compress and squish stuff up, generally.