I just retubed my Peavey Triple XXX head because the old power tubes would glow the usual orange as all tubes do with the STANDBY switch on, then when I switched the STANDBY to off and the casing of all the power tubes would also glow blue except for the far left one.

Is this even a problem?

I ask because even though I've retubed the head, the same thing still occurs.

help? =[
Guitar:
Schecter Tempest Custom
Amp:
-currently looking
Pedalboard:
KORG pitchblack
BOSS SD-2
iSP Decimator
Ibanez DE7
Apparantly valves glowing blue isn't always a problem? Does it sound okay? If so, I reckon you're ok.
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
Well I currently have to run it through a small combo since I don't currently have a cab and I'm still unaware of how this thing sounds when it's cranked, plus I still need to bias the tubes as well....
Guitar:
Schecter Tempest Custom
Amp:
-currently looking
Pedalboard:
KORG pitchblack
BOSS SD-2
iSP Decimator
Ibanez DE7
Quote by kurtlives91
Tubes glowing blue is fine, its quite normal.

But what if all but 1 of them do....
Guitar:
Schecter Tempest Custom
Amp:
-currently looking
Pedalboard:
KORG pitchblack
BOSS SD-2
iSP Decimator
Ibanez DE7
bump
Guitar:
Schecter Tempest Custom
Amp:
-currently looking
Pedalboard:
KORG pitchblack
BOSS SD-2
iSP Decimator
Ibanez DE7
It shouldnt matter if the tubes glow or not. Maybe the tube is of a different manufacturer or a different batch.
Gear List:
Ibanez S320
Lavey LV200
Squier Stratocaster Affinity HSS
No-Name Wesley Fat Strat copy
Peavey Rage 158
Quote by JO-E-E
But what if all but 1 of them do....

It's fine, they don't have to glow blue or anything.
As long as they don't look damaged or broken they're fine.
Keeping it real since '92
I have never had my tubes glow blue..I kinda want to see that.
MY GEAR!
Amp
-Peavey Classic 30
Guitars
-Silverburst Epiphone Les Paul Custom
-Squier Stratocaster
Pedals
-Ibanez TS9DX Turbo Tube Screamer
-Fender PT-100
-MXR Phase 90
-Fuzz Face Clone
-MXR Carbon Copy
a blue glow is usually an indication of an air leak. Certain types of tubes have inert gas that glows purplish when the tubes are hot, but the XXX doesn't use those.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
a blue glow is usually an indication of an air leak. Certain types of tubes have inert gas that glows purplish when the tubes are hot, but the XXX doesn't use those.
I've never heard that for blue glow. I've always been told it was fluorescence from collisions of free electrons with impurities in the vacuum that release photons upon excitation.
Last edited by al112987 at Feb 22, 2009,
Quote by al112987
I've never heard that for blue glow. I've always been told it was fluorescence from collisions of free electrons with impurities in the vacuum that release photons upon excitation.

bingo, that's why it usually means air leak, or poor quality tubes.

Last.fm
it's normal...yes, it indicates gas in the tube, but you'll never have a tube that is completely gas free, it's impossible. So, you'll have a bue glow. If you watch closely when you play, the blue usually moves around a bit, neat little visual show.

If the plates (the bug grey metal structures) start glowing red or orange on the other hand...you have two options:

1) turn down the bias current and save your amp
2) grab some popcorn and a video camera, cause the tubes are about to melt down (probably taking the OT with them).

Quote by kcdakrt
DLrocket89 makes my ug experience better!

Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list

Kit Amp Building Tutorial
I guess it should be noted that it depends on how much of a blue glow there is, if theres a faint blue halo around the filament then that's normal, if the entire tube is glowing blue then you have a problem (usually).

I've been playing tube amps for years and have never had tubes that visibly glowed blue under normal operating conditions.

Last.fm
Quote by Kid_Thorazine

I've been playing tube amps for years and have never had tubes that visibly glowed blue under normal operating conditions.

Every amp I've worked on, built, or played in the last 5 years has had a blue glow (the ones I've looked at at least). EL34s are good at this, as their vacuum isn't as hard as others.

I've had an amp running a pair of JJ 6V6s biased at 95% max dissipation at 10-30 volts over their rated max that have a crapton of blue light coming out. It's run like that for a year...getting close to thinking about replacing the tubes. Still running great.

EDIT: though, that prolly says something about JJ tubes than anything else...
Quote by kcdakrt
DLrocket89 makes my ug experience better!

Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list

Kit Amp Building Tutorial