Hey guys, this may be a really stupid question, however, can you put EMG's in a PRS Custom 24? Is it a stupid idea? I know it has a 5-way switch, so does it use the single coils sepparately? Sorry for asking stupid questions like this but im just curious.

Thanks
With a 5 way switch, calling pos. 1 the bridge, I believe that pos 2 would also be the bridge, pos 3 both, pos 4 + 5 neck, because they can't be coil split.

Why you'd want to put EMGs in a PRS is beyond me, however...
You can put in my setup for the ultimate in versatility...and expense.
Last edited by Tempoe at Feb 22, 2009,
I honestly don't see the point in putting active pups in a PRS,but it can be done.

WARNING!: THIS USER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO BE AN OPINIONATED ASS. ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN READING POSTS AND NEVER USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

Alright, that's fair, but could you take the single coils that EMG makes and put them together the same way that PRS does to their no active pickups?
if you put emgs in a prs you deserve a kick in the groin
PRS Custom 22
Fender American Stratocaster
Fender Road Worn Telecaster
Fairclough Sky Accoustic

Laney VC15-110
Roland MicroCube
This is kind of what im talking about. http://www.emginc.com/products/index/90 However, you would put the 2 single coils together and instead of using a normal 81 you would use a 81TW.

hahah I know this is kind of out there, but I love experimenting with stuff, however I would like to know if it will work before I spend all this money. hahahahah
Quote by gishuk
if you put emgs in a prs you deserve a kick in the groin

HAHAHHAHAHAHAH How come?
Quote by HartRacer86
Alright, that's fair, but could you take the single coils that EMG makes and put them together the same way that PRS does to their no active pickups?

duh......most of these guys have no clue about EMGs and only know about 81/85. Gilmore uses the SAs in his strat because he knows.
Last edited by Tempoe at Feb 22, 2009,
putting emgs in a prs is like putting cheesy wheels and a ricer muffler on a lamborghini.
Official Aspie member

ANOUNCEMENT: Weird misspellings or words that make no sense? there was a good chance this was sent from my Droid 2 phone.
Quote by SinisterStrieth
.. You are the man.

RIP Dime RIP Michael Jackson
Quote by Tempoe
duh......

lol Gah you guys are harsh. I was just asking a question. Sorry.
Quote by HartRacer86
lol Gah you guys are harsh. I was just asking a question. Sorry.

Well I posted before that you could.
Ok well since you guys think this is stupid, then tell me why you think its a stupid idea?
because the pickups in prs are way superior in both tone and versatility. unless all you play is metal than i dont see any reason swapping them
Quote by HartRacer86
Ok well since you guys think this is stupid, then tell me why you think its a stupid idea?

Depends what you like. It cost me almost $300 but I think it was worth it. I love the active singles and I love the 81. I play a wide variety of music and need to have good cleans and brutal distortion. I find most passives to be noisy.
EMGs are sterile? They sound mostly the same whether its in a $100 guitar, or a $2000 guitar. Passive pickups bring the natural tone of the guitar out, while actives dont. When you have a $2000 guitar, you let the tone shine.
Quote by SonOfSanguinus
I believe in the "personal opinion" school of thought, I doubt you've heard of it. Now, go waste your time on something that doesn't annoy me

---

Female guitarist
You want to check my profile. Do it.

Flickr
Quote by KiraIBZ
EMGs are sterile? They sound mostly the same whether its in a $100 guitar, or a $2000 guitar. Passive pickups bring the natural tone of the guitar out, while actives dont. When you have a $2000 guitar, you let the tone shine.

yes...good.
Quote by Tempoe
yes...good.

Thats personal preference. I dont like em too much, but my friend swears by them.
Quote by SonOfSanguinus
I believe in the "personal opinion" school of thought, I doubt you've heard of it. Now, go waste your time on something that doesn't annoy me

---

Female guitarist
You want to check my profile. Do it.

Flickr
Put Dimarzio D-Activators instead, like Paul and Dustie of BTBAM did.
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
Quote by Tempoe
duh......most of these guys have no clue about EMGs and only know about 81/85. Gilmore uses the SAs in his strat because he knows.

I'm fairly sure he doesn't any more. His sig strat has a combo of SD and Fender passives.
American Deluxe maple board Strat
Hot Rod Deluxe
Fulltone Fulldrive II mosfet
Quote by pEdAl2
I'm fairly sure he doesn't any more. His sig strat has a combo of SD and Fender passives.

i think he started using them live (only) cuz they would stand out a bit more live and not just be a part of the sound wall.
No he used them because he needed a stronger signal to get through his massive pedal board.
Quote by aznrockerdude
Put Dimarzio D-Activators instead, like Paul and Dustie of BTBAM did.

you sure about that?
just curious.
Last edited by ugg im kyle at Feb 22, 2009,
Quote by ugg im kyle
you sure about that?
just curious.

On the Colors live DVD, it certainly looks like they ditched the EMGs.
And
Quote by DustieBtbam
Being endorsed by PRS has been a dream of Paul and I's for years.. They're far superior to any other company in my opinion. I have 4 la custom shop Ibanez that don't hold a candle to my production model custom 24.. The sound and playability is just unreal. Yes we are using the deactivators in them as well. (sounds amazing) EMG's would sound the same way if you put them in a 2x4.. they're very 1 dimensional and make it to where you can't hear the player. I discovered how much better of a player I am with Passive pickups. Phrasing is very important to me.. There's so many dudes out there who can shred but have TERRIBLE phrasing and make it sound like K. Hammet. hehe My tone has never been better and yes we are endorsed with them now. Ibanez contracts ran out and we were over it.. We have enough nice Ibanez's to last us a life time and felt like getting classy. hehe Hope this answered your questions. PS. we don't blame EMG for our ****ty tones on Alaska.. We blame the guy who mixed the record..

The only reason why I won't give you the link (SMN News > BTBAM forum btw) is because there is some pr0n on the page lol.
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
hahaha. it's all good dude!
Thanks though, I was just really curious.
Those d-activators are bad ass as **** though.
When I get my next prs my plan was to put some in there.
I believe that in the Disasterpiece Slipknot live dvd, Jim Root is using Custom 24's with EMG's. Very much a preferance thing, but I believe it'd narrow down the versatility of the capabilities of a Custom 24.
PRS stock pickups are great, and having said that, I think the only pickup swap I would do on a Custom 24 would be for a differant voiced pickup with the same versatility as the PRS stock pickups ie. Bareknuckle Pickups.
EMG's just don't cut it for me.
Last edited by bowen at Feb 22, 2009,
I must admit, I love EMG pickups .... my 81/60 combo has served me well live for a year now and I've never had a problem getting the right tone with them, but if I was paying PRS prices I'd either keep the stock pickups or give Tim at Bareknuckle a call.

Again I really love the sound I get with my EMG's in the Epi, they actually make for a really versatile combo despite what some people say but if I was playing a custom 24 I'd want something more distinct to work with it.
My Musical attempts

My youtube music channel

Quote by TOMMYB22
Dammit, beaten to it, and by someone with the same name

CURSE YOU TOMMYT!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote by daeqwon10000
I hate tommyt and the high horse which he rides upon