Ok, so one of them is a drummer, and occaisonally plays his drumset.
The guitarist and bassist have been playing for a week.
I don't know about the keyboardist.
I don't get on with the keyboardist either...

I've been playing for a year, and for the past few months have played pretty much nonstop in my free time (cept when im on UG, or playing my bass).

As far as level goes, I can play Like Light to the Flies, and do the vocals at the same time (im not that great a singer, but you know), and I've nearly nailed the solo, I've written some ok stuff, and my theory knowledge is rapidly increasing.

Considering the bassist still has trouble with the crazy train intro, and i don't even know about the guitarist.

Should I join this band?

Other info: I'm 15, in year 10, and this is my only current oppurtunity for a band. They have agreed to let me still search for a decent one, im gonna start searching in 2 weekends time, once I've got my new amp.

Is it really worth it?

Cheers

And sorry if im not clear enough.
VERY VERY low expectations. Chances are you'll be writing the majority of the material.
I'm that dude with the fro.
Quote by angus fan16
Long story short, a whale flew out of the ocean, landed next to me and shot like a wall of water straight into my face.
If you see yourself playing in bands in the future, you should join the band. It will be great experience. You will gain volumes of vital knowledge that a million threads cannot teach. Rock out!!!
AL
holy sh*t. i was in the exact same situation last year. my frend wanted me to play rythm in their band. Their lead guitarist is just plain amazing, and i ended up getting really nervous and f*cked up big time. Even though my freind heard me play at school (the main reason why he asked) i still messed up and didnt make it. hope yours ends better then mine did
In order to live, you must be ready to die

R.I.P. DIO

FUCK JUSTIN BIEBER

Quote by Metallica_AC/DC
a mental asylum called Mike

Quote by Masamune
That's cuz you mad...Mike.

Sorry, had to get my corniness out of the way.
I'd say join for the experience, and try to be nice and help the other guitarist and bassist a bit. Give them tips for warmups, what finger may help play a certain tab (some tab's confuse people, especially if it doesn't give suggestions for the IMRP. If I wasn't told to basically fret the chords while playing Kryptonite, I would have NEVER learned it.

Also, it could give you a lot of experience with teaching, often times while teaching one method you may find another (and possibly better) method of doing the same thing. I noticed this when I was teaching my friend a Legend of Zelda song, I ended up making a slight adjustment and played it smoother myself.

But let them know if they aren't serious about it (eg; don't make much effort to improve or learn theory) that you will leave for another band if they are better. But if you do join, try not to be a dick and leave for another band if they are improving.
chances are you won't find a decent band your age group. not right now anyways. what I do is just have fun with it jam with everyone you get a chance to jam with. I've been playing guitar for 16 years and tour with my band and I still jam with guy's that just started playing music. its all for fun right so join, jam it up and have fun.
A painter paints pictures on canvas. But musicians paint their pictures on silence.
Yeah, I think I'll just join them to jam with...I've already written a bunch of stuff...which they won't be able to play . But I enjoy it.

And also...since posting this thread...been discussing with a few guys from my music class (none of the band this thread are about are doing music)...and they want to form a band aswell...considering this'll mean we'll have the best keyboardist and the best vocalist (imo) in the school, and people that actually know how to play their instruments, it'll probably be better.

Or I could join both, and then let the people crappy one down gently xD.

But thanks for the replies...sometimes I forget how few people are actually in a decent band during their secondary (middle) school years.
Be in both and do your best to make time for both just take the more serious people seriously.

My friend (plays Bass) was in 3 bands for a while, one wasn't serious so he quit, the other found a "better" bassist (who IMHO memorized a few more songs, but wasn't what I'd call "better", and he knew next to nothing about theory or how to write his own music.... so they're going to have a fun time with a good bass line for their songs) and now he's just in 1 band, and we're thinking of starting our own band.
If you have a better band lined up then I don't really see any reason in joining the first one.

I've played with people who'd been playing for a few months while I'd been playing for a few years and trust me, it wasn't fun. We could barely learn any songs because the others (especially the guitarist) found a lot of stuff too dificult and if I did want to play something I'd basically have to teach them all their parts. It wasn't really their fault either, it was just that they hadn't been playing long enough to play in a band properly.
Quote by 12345abcd3
If you have a better band lined up then I don't really see any reason in joining the first one.

I've played with people who'd been playing for a few months while I'd been playing for a few years and trust me, it wasn't fun. We could barely learn any songs because the others (especially the guitarist) found a lot of stuff too dificult and if I did want to play something I'd basically have to teach them all their parts. It wasn't really their fault either, it was just that they hadn't been playing long enough to play in a band properly.

It'll be the same with me tbh.

But the thing is...with the band i've been invited to, I'm the only member who hasn't properly confirmed he or she's gonna be in the band.

Currently the better band is only chat over the internet, although i planned it with the singer, so she really wants to do it, as does the other guitarist. The bassist said she'd do it, the keyboardist and drummer i haven't been able to ask.
Last edited by NinjaLamppost at Feb 22, 2009,