Page 1 of 2
So I am at the local music shop grabbing a handful of picks, when from across the room, I see a Dean Cadillac, which looks coolish to me simply because I am not turned off by pointy head stocks like, well, everyone here. So I grab the thing off the rack, and its a piece of trash, no joke. Sharp edges, finish blotches (where you could actually find finish), ****ty hardware, crap tone, and just a general cheap feeling. Such a disappointment...

So what I am asking you guys is, are there any guitars you have drooled over only to be violently dissatisfied by the quality of the instrument once you actually get a chance to sit down with the thing?
[quote="'[VictorinoX"]']You know what? We ARE convincing him to buy an MG Stack. I mean, who wouldn't want the CRUSHING OVERDRIVE, BRUTAL DISTORTION, BRUTALLY CRUSHING OVERDRIVE, and CRUSHINGLY BRUTAL DISTORTION, with built in digital effects!?
It was a Dean *shrug*.

I was dissatisfied by their razorbacks. Still think it's a cool design, but ****e quality.
Sadly,I've had similar experiences with several Gibson LP's.They look amazing then when I play them they have high action,poor feel,and noticeable finish flaws.Just another reason why you should always hand select the Gibby you buy and never trust them sight unseen.

WARNING!: THIS USER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO BE AN OPINIONATED ASS. ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN READING POSTS AND NEVER USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

Quote by Mazzakazza
It was a Dean *shrug*.

I was dissatisfied by their razorbacks. Still think it's a cool design, but ****e quality.

+1

My Deans are all pretty good, but Razorbacks could have been alot better.
Megadeth > Metallica
Gibson > Fender
Randy Rhoads > Everybody

Quote by gamenerd323
451f you sig is the truest thing in the world

My sig > Yours
Yeah, I'm having a hard time deciding whether or not Dean is a viable guitar brand because the sheer lack of quality I have seen. Is it any different on their more expensive models?
[quote="'[VictorinoX"]']You know what? We ARE convincing him to buy an MG Stack. I mean, who wouldn't want the CRUSHING OVERDRIVE, BRUTAL DISTORTION, BRUTALLY CRUSHING OVERDRIVE, and CRUSHINGLY BRUTAL DISTORTION, with built in digital effects!?
Quote by Pac_man0123
Well i didn't drool over it but the Dean from Hell i tried played like sh*t.

Also, the c-1 hellraiser. Looked great on paper, did not like the neck too much.

I've had the same experiences with schecters
theres been some amps I was pumped for and was dissapointed in when i played then
*coughegnaterrebel cough*
Quote by guitardude34875
be the music, not the scene
Quote by ShredGod George
theres been some amps I was pumped for and was dissapointed in when i played then

Are...are American made guitars (other than Gibson) bad?

Because I don't know anymore.
Quote by Pac_man0123
Well... Schecter isn't MIA if that's what you're getting at.

And even Gibson has some bad eggs.

Really? Where is Schecter made?
Quote by ShredGod George

aw i hope the schecter ultra classic isnt an upset im drooling over that havnt had a chance to play one tho.
Epiphone les paul studio
Traynor YCS50
vox wah V847
Fulltone Full-Drive 2
squire strat- currently in process of getting custom finish!

gassing for warmoth build
I was going crazy over an Alexi-600 (Didnt like it for its sig, I didnt want the sig, I like the shape) and when I actually got to playing one...
Sounded like ****, the pin strips looked like they ran off on the bevel, and I was really irritated due to no tone knob and 1 pickup. This was before the Blackouts were added mind you.

Hoping it was just a lemon, but since then I found the Edwards SV which has 2 pickups, so Im more inclined to buy that one instead.
Quote by SonOfSanguinus
I believe in the "personal opinion" school of thought, I doubt you've heard of it. Now, go waste your time on something that doesn't annoy me

---

Female guitarist
You want to check my profile. Do it.

Flickr
I saw a White Gibson Flying V in guitar center. Needless to say, i quickly went over to it so I can intake all the creamy goodness while a tech fixed my valveking. Words could not describe the disappointment
Quote by Beebaboo
I saw a White Gibson Flying V in guitar center. Needless to say, i quickly went over to it so I can intake all the creamy goodness while a tech fixed my valveking. Words could not describe the disappointment

What was the matter, good sir?
Quote by KiraIBZ
I was going crazy over an Alexi-600 (Didnt like it for its sig, I didnt want the sig, I like the shape) and when I actually got to playing one...
Sounded like ****, the pin strips looked like they ran off on the bevel, and I was really irritated due to no tone knob and 1 pickup. This was before the Blackouts were added mind you.

Hoping it was just a lemon, but since then I found the Edwards SV which has 2 pickups, so Im more inclined to buy that one instead.

Mine is great - the build quality is outstanding, and the paint job is neatly done. LTD really knows what they're doing.

I have an early 2008 model with the SD Blackout and OFR, and the high gain sounds are top notch.

Also, there are actually benefits to having only 1 pickup and no tone knob . There is less routing, so the wood can resonate more. It adds to sustain and tone.

I have been told that the lack of a tone pot allows the pickup to run with slightly higher output as well (I'm not sure about this).

Back on topic, I was really disappointed with Schecter's 7 string models. The tone was muddy, and they felt cheap. Their 6 string guitars are a great value, but no company seems to make a quality, inexpensive 7 string guitar.
~3.6 billion years of evolutionary progress have led to this post~
Last edited by Reds3031 at Feb 22, 2009,
Quote by Reds3031
Mine is great - the build quality is outstanding, and the paint job is neatly done. LTD really knows what they're doing.

I have an early 2008 model with the SD Blackout and OFR, and the high gain sounds are top notch.

Also, there are actually benefits to having only 1 pickup and no tone knob . There is less routing, so the wood can resonate more. It adds to sustain and tone.

I have been told that the lack of a tone pot allows the pickup to run with slightly higher output as well (I'm not sure about this).

Yeah but... lack of versatility. I also use my tone knob...
Quote by SonOfSanguinus
I believe in the "personal opinion" school of thought, I doubt you've heard of it. Now, go waste your time on something that doesn't annoy me

---

Female guitarist
You want to check my profile. Do it.

Flickr
Quote by KiraIBZ
Yeah but... lack of versatility. I also use my tone knob...

I understand - it really is a guitar made just for teh br00talz.
~3.6 billion years of evolutionary progress have led to this post~
Of the Dean's i've played, the 79 series play much better and have the best feel and quality. I've never played a high end model, but guitars like low end razorbacks and Dime MLs don't feel nearly as good, although of a similar price. I also wan't at all impressed with the Alexi 200, although sound was good, the neck felt awkward and too flat, although that's how alot of metal players like it, i prefer something that I can feel in the palm of my hand, but it's really all down to personal taste.
Well, at guitar center with my friend, we asked to play an Explorer, and it played WORSE than a Dean.And I hate deans. Deans make me want to make a giant catapult, make a ball made out of cute little puppies, light it on fire, and launch it at an elderly home. Yes, I hate Deans.
There's this local guitar shop near me... it's awful. Quiet nice guitars on display, jaguars, ibanez, strats, jacksons, telecasters... but when you have a go on them, oh my... the action is piss poor, the strings feel like generic stock strings and sound oh so sh*t through the amps. I don't understand why anyone would buy a guitar from there.
i've not really had this happen, except a modded fender american telecaster which had EMGs and had been set up for brootalz which played and sounded like absolute wank.

i've also seen a hot girl who play a dean ML (thus making the dean look good!), then when i played her guitar i thought it felt a bit cheap and wasn't set up nice. but it smelt good
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Gibson Explorer, cmon Gibson, make more quality gear. (hope it wasn't a lemon)
Quote by chip46
"I'm discontinuing production on the Timmy now as well. It might come back into production at some point down the road, but probably not because people will just clone it anyway cause they're stupid jerk face doo doo heads. -Paul C."
Low end deans, like Vendettas ect. suck. But their middle and upper tier guitars are pretty good once you get them set up. Deans USA models however are out-****ing-standing. Best looking/worst playing guitars Ive run into have been Gibsons at GC. For some reason every SG and Explorer Ive ever picked up there just sounded and played like ass.
Guitars > Pedals > Amps > Sabbath >
Every Dean Ive ever played that didnt cost 2000 dollars.
Complete garbage, over priced, just fail.

EXAMPLE
I paid 650 for a Black Gold ML, no name pups, string thru, grovers, WORST NUT EVER, burr in saddle, set neck, etc...
When I turned down...
A BC Rich NJ series Mockingbird (think that was it), with a OFR, 2 Rockfields, every switch Ill ever need, neck thru body..... For 600 even.

I screwed up.
Laguna.

They look so cool, their maple tops are gorgeous and they are so reasonably priced, but man. They feel like toys.
-Instruments-
Squier frankenbass
LTD Deluxe EC-1000 in Vintage Black
1960's Banjuke
Well, I was somewhat dissapointed with my friend's dad's MIA Fender Strat. I was dissapointed because the only difference I found between the Fender and my Squier was the maple fretboard on the Fender (feel-wise, not tone wise). I guess I just have a good guitar (minus the pickups).
I've played a few deans. I hated the Caddy. Gross looking and sounded like utter ****.

And there on the wall, $100 cheaper, hung a real shadow (because the guitar right above it was black, but an ML). I found guitar numero two. Dean DBD T. For the very low price tag, I expected far worse. After fiddling around with the pickups and the... dime-o-tone, I found out this guitar sounds best on the bridge pickup, both volume knobs on 10 (I LOVE having two volume knobs) and Dime-o-tone on 10. Of course, not for cleans. Dime-o-tone goes down to about 4.

The tone of this guitar is utter crap. But I can't see myself selling this guitar. I love it. I'm planning on changing the pups though. If I swapped out the ones I had for the JB/'59 combo, it wouldn't look any different. No lie!

But a guitar I thought looked nice from far away and then crap up close... The Dean DFH. The lighting and blue looked awesome from far away... and then up close looked print screened. It looked like the design was a picture on the computer, but waaaaaaaay stretched out.
Quote by kranoscorp
Laguna.

They look so cool, their maple tops are gorgeous and they are so reasonably priced, but man. They feel like toys.

Uggghhh, I was wating for these at the local GC. I had $500 to pay for a new guitar and I waited for the le24 or whatever it was. It was such a dissapointment, they should get rid of the company in full.
Quote by LuthierofTexas
You have no experience with racks??? What kind of guy are you?
I was looking for a new amp about a year ago. Became very interested in the marshall dsl40. Read many reviews and info about it. Came close to ordering one but luckily someone had told me they had seen a brand new dsl40 combo in the local shop so I went and had an employee take it to the sound proof room for me to try it out, I warm up, plug in and hear the most medicore and weak sounding amp I would ever expect to hear for 1000$+. I eq it a few different ways, try cranking it a bit, it helps alil bit still very disappointing. I try out a mesa boogie express 5:25 combo and the amp sounds huge at any volume... I purchased the boogie on the spot. Blew away every other amp I had tried out in the price range.

But about the marshall to this day I am still very untrusting of their products because of how poorly the dsl40 performed.
1st Schecter 8er? in UG's 7 String Legion
Conklin GT-7
Hartke Hydrive 210C
Digitech Screamin' Blues
Bugera 1990 Head
Dunlop wah
Saxon snakeskin 1x12 cab
I Nouni
For me it was Schecter.

I've always loved the guitars for the looks. Always wanted to try a C-1 .. anykind.

When I was in the market for a guitar, I was stoked to pull down the schecters and give them a shot. Out of the five I tried, all of 'em were complete garbage. Didn't play smoothly and was a huge ****in dissapointment

I ended out getting an Ibanez that time. I bought a schecter off of CL a while back and ended out selling it. But that one played nicely so I assume it was just a ****ty setup on the ones I tried. Turned me completely off from Schecters though...
yeah that has definitely happened before...with a Dean! they had a cool acoustic bass I wanted and looked badass but I tried it and the quality was so shnitty- it buzzed a ton and the action was horrible. but yea, it was a dean *shrug*
Quote by MetalHead916
For me it was Schecter.

I've always loved the guitars for the looks. Always wanted to try a C-1 .. anykind.

When I was in the market for a guitar, I was stoked to pull down the schecters and give them a shot. Out of the five I tried, all of 'em were complete garbage. Didn't play smoothly and was a huge ****in dissapointment

I ended out getting an Ibanez that time. I bought a schecter off of CL a while back and ended out selling it. But that one played nicely so I assume it was just a ****ty setup on the ones I tried. Turned me completely off from Schecters though...

yea they were probably either set up horrible or low end schecters. My Classic is the exact opposite of what you described.
Schecter C-1 Classic Raven RG20 + Digitech RP50

Man, I could go for a 7 right now...
Quote by kranoscorp
Laguna.

Really? I played a Laguna LE322 at the nearest Guitar Center to me and loved it. It was really easy to move around the fretboard and sounded beautiful with a Line 6 Spider 3 (yes, I know, but I like em) metal distortion.

On-Topic: Definitely Dean Razorbacks. They look so sexy but when you sit down with them they feel like a $100 toy guitar.
Page 1 of 2