anyone know what grade knights of cydonia by muse would be?
i have to play a grade 6 standard piece at school soon, would this qualify?

and yeah, on guitar
Last edited by timahhh at Feb 22, 2009,
Typically, only classical and jazz pieces are graded.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Its not super easy, but not grade 6. Though the tremolo picking does take some endurance.
Sorry dude not grade 6 , try the Groove by Muse , thats alot harder.
I don't mean to jack your thread, but how does this grade scale work?
How does one 'grade' a song?
Quote by SteveHouse
This thread is officially about sucking Sleaze off for a sig.

Quote by tayroar
Hey Sleaze I'll give you a blowjob if you sig me. Maybe even some nudey photos?

Quote by crazy8rgood

Sleaze, that made me lulz in my pants.

Quote by 36mikeyb36
hahaha Sleaze i'd give you my mom for that one.
Quote by axemanchris
Typically, only classical and jazz pieces are graded.

CT

Even though a lot consider you some sort of a god... again your not listened to enough XD
Are you performing it or is it just to the teacher for a grade? Cos if its the latter its probably a lot easier to just pick an actual grade 6 piece imho
Quote by pandora_grunt
Even though a lot consider you some sort of a god... again your not listened to enough XD

Thanks, man. I was starting to wonder if maybe I missed something..... like maybe they actually *do* grade pop music stuff now. (unless they're talking about that 'rock school' thing, but that doesn't really hold any credibility when it comes to serious academic grading)

I'm imagining showing up for a university audition where they require you play Grade 9 and 10 pieces and showing up playing a couple selections from Malmsteen and then something by Satriani.

CT

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Last edited by axemanchris at Feb 23, 2009,
Quote by Sleaze Disease
I don't mean to jack your thread, but how does this grade scale work?
How does one 'grade' a song?

Typically, and by that I mean in 'established academic circles' like Royal Conservatory and what not, there will be a team of people who will review the current syllabus and add new material determining the grade level of each piece. These people will be people who often have performance degrees in music and a highly in-depth knowledge of repertoire.

I believe the way it works is that there are certain 'bench mark' pieces that other pieces are compared to in terms of difficulty. For example, Sor's Theme and Variations on Mozart's Magic Flute is Grade 10. John Dowland's Allemande is Grade 8. So, if a piece is (though, yes, it can be a bit subjective) a bit harder than the Allemande, but not as difficult as the Theme and Variations, then it would be a Grade 9 piece.

As far as subjectivity goes, you will find from time to time that, using those bench-mark pieces, one group of reviewers for a syllabus will move something, so a piece that used to be grade 6 is now actually considered grade 5 or whatever.

CT

Rock School goes up to grade 8, with 8 containing an Iron Maiden-esque piece and grade 5 a Black album era Metallica piece.
Call me Batman.
Quote by Kroaton
Sorry dude not grade 6 , try the Groove by Muse , thats alot harder.

Technically it's not that hard but to make it sound very tight is very hard indeed
Quote by razorback91
Im sorry, I just don't see how you could argue that hardcore isn't metal. That just seems arrogant to me.

Yes, its its own kind of metal, but its still metal.