Poll: Has "selling out" become acceptable/expected?
Poll Options
View poll results: Has "selling out" become acceptable/expected?
yes
57 39%
no
88 61%
Voters: 145.
Page 1 of 3
With news of Iggy Pop selling car insurance (link ), a man who's entire career has been about being counterculture to society, I have to ask have we reached that point where we feel its ok, if not expected for artists to eventually grab that big bag of cash they preached against ?

Bob Dylan, Johnny Rotten etc. I felt were above this. Real Musicians were talking here. (not black eyed peas or bands that are clearly in it for the money)

Its gotten incredibly bad and pathetic if you ask me, the Submarines song "You, Me, and the Bourgeoisie" is anti-consumerism song yet they let Apple use it in their commercials!

Your thoughts on this? Would you do the same?

I personally believe that as an artist you accept that it is your job and sole purpose to make the most beautiful art as possible. Once/If you achieve a position of fame and glory you are to use your power to sway people away from consumerism and focus on real issues like poverty, political injustice, greed etc. etc.

The art that was once music has become tainted by the very thing it set out to destroy and perhaps thats why music today is so freakin bad.

I guess people believe its better to sellout then fade away...
Last edited by tands at Feb 22, 2009,
I don't really care.

EDIT: What I mean by that is that at the end of the day, it all comes down to the music they produce rather than all the little frills surrounding it, so advertising Country Life butter isn't really a big issue.
Quote by duncang
maybe it's because i secrely agree that tracedin inymballsackistheb best album ever

he's got the fire and the fury,
at his command
well you don't have to worry,
if you hold onto jesus' hand
Last edited by CTFOD at Feb 22, 2009,
If it were expected and accepted, we wouldn't be disgusted whenever someone did.
Quote by Teh Forest King
A kid took a fetal pig during pig dissection, put a napkin on it as a cape, wrote "super pig" on it, then threw it out the window onto the greenhouse below, yelling "super pig, blast off!". He failed the pig lab
It always has, if the price is right. Money has the power to make people do things that they don't want to do.
AL
1. I don't really care, and you said some very silly things in that post.

2. If Iggy Pop is all about being contrary to expectations, isn't something like this really the most contrary thing he could do? He's doing exactly what no one thought he would do.
Quote by CTFOD
I don't really care.

me too.
who cares?
Gibson Les Paul Custom Black Beauty
Tokai LC53 Les Paul Custom
Tokai ALS48 Love Rock Les Paul Standard
Marshall DSL-50 Head
Marshall 1936 2x12 Cabinet
i would make music i like but, eventually i would sell out to get some money so, when people stop listening to my music im not stuck and poor with no skills that would get me a job.

just to support my musicaly career i would; after that it's straight back to the stuff i love.

EDIT:my post makes more sense
Last edited by -tempest- at Feb 22, 2009,
yes and no.
selling out a show is fine
sellnig out as in like
high school musicial and go beyond shirts and hats as merch.
then its like there on waffles, no joke, they have HSM waffles, and pens and glasses, etc.
ಠ_ಠ
- Yes, My name is actually Terran -
- Not just a Starcraft fan -

Terran > Zerg and Protoss
Quote by Johnny Trash
me too.
who cares?

cause when someone sings about how much they hate (insert idea or company) and then end up promoting that very thing it takes away from the original artistic statement and it is no longer art
Who cares. I wouldn't change my style of music to appeal to people, but if I was making a shit ton of money for making music I like, I'll do it in a heart beat, even if that means "selling out."
Write your own lyrics or poetry? Post them HERE for a crit.
Follow me on Twitter
God I hate those adverts

I never want to get inscurance from swift cover.. or go on compare the market.. cos that meerkat is piss annoying.
"You're a twat!"- That dude in morrisons

"You Ugly git!" - That girl in the restaurant

"You Were a Mistake!" - Mum

just a few of my fans..

Yeah, most people don't see selling out as selling out. In a band I joined a while back they were talking about playing the kind of music that's popular right now, and I found it irritating that that's what some people aim to do, before they even establish themselves.
If music was the food of love I'd be a fat romantic slob.
Quote by tands
as you can see by the posts above you, some people do seem to accept it
Fair point, but it varies from person to person, just like everything else opinionated.

You made this thread, indicating you don't expect it. The above posters don't care, insinuating, possibly, that they have.

Personally, I don't really expect it. When I saw the Pepsi commercial using Bob Dylan's "Forever Young", I was pretty upset. At the same time, though, I wasn't too surprised. I guess you can say I'm on the fence.
Quote by Teh Forest King
A kid took a fetal pig during pig dissection, put a napkin on it as a cape, wrote "super pig" on it, then threw it out the window onto the greenhouse below, yelling "super pig, blast off!". He failed the pig lab
I never put any stock in the term "selling out" anyway, 99% of people just use it when someone does something they don't like.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
I don't care if they sell out or not, if the music is good I'll listen to it. If not, I won't.

I'm not a 12 year old Rage Against The Machine fan.
Who cares? being a musician is a job whether people admit it or not and who's going to say theyre going to turn down more money for doing the same job as they are now?
yeah...
Originally Posted by Chromeproguitar
they make horrible noises in the middle of the night (is it sex?)

Quote by CliffIsAngry
I guess she's pretty hot if you're into that "having a good music video, but not better than Beyonce's" kind of thing...
Honestly, Iggy Pop never really had a political message.

I think selling out is going to piss people off, simple as that. People don't get the difference between selling out and getting bigger though.

For example, Against Me sold out. They had anarchist ideals, were signed to small labels, and part of a small scene. They jumped to a major label which completely contradicts their anarchist ideals and gave no explanation, that's selling out. If they gave an explanation and simply state that they changed their views, then that's fine with me. They're getting older, it's kind of expected. The thing that annoys me is they won't explain it and they deny all there old fans and say they're unloyal if they are mad at them.

Most bands accused of selling out didn't sell out though. That's only when you contradict your music or message to become more popular.
I'm the same as I was when I was six years old
And oh my god I feel so damn old
I don't really feel anything
Last edited by StreetLight3989 at Feb 22, 2009,
as long as the music is still good, as long as the band is still having fun and not turning in to fags, it's all good
Rig:
Ibanez RG270
Crate BV-120
Quote by Bearded_Seth
That's probably one of the most insightful things I've ever read in the Pit.
Grats, TS

Bastard Chain UG profile - Here
Nothing wrong with gaining more popularity and getting more money. Isnt that what people strive to do with bands nowadays?
I wasn't sure which to choose, so i said yes, which is only half right. Its expected but in no way acceptable.
Quote by duncang
If Varg had any sense of humour, he'd open the album with a cover of Superstition.
Quote by lefthandman9876
no i detest bands that sell out, kings of leon, franz ferdinand, snow patrol, muse all sold out and now suck balls because they make "music for the radio" which is for the morons who read NME and like this kinda crap.

How do you know they aren't making music they like? It just so happens that the radio likes the music too? You can't judge them selling out because their stuff is on the radio.

You can't justify they wrote it for the money, rather because they like it.
Follow me on Twitter
Quote by lefthandman9876
no i detest bands that sell out, kings of leon, franz ferdinand, snow patrol, muse all sold out and now suck balls because they make "music for the radio" which is for the morons who read NME and like this kinda crap.

How dare they change their musical direction without consulting the fans!

For god's sake man, you have no idea why they changed their music so shut the hell up. People like you are the reason I hate the term "sollout".

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by tands
cause when someone sings about how much they hate (insert idea or company) and then end up promoting that very thing it takes away from the original artistic statement and it is no longer art

I'm sorry, can you give me your definition of art please?

As far as I'm concerned, if something has real aesthetic value, it won't lose it just because the artist does something hypocritical. For example, The Who sang 'Hope I die before I get old'. The fact that Roger Daltrey is still alive doesn't stop 'My Generation' being a great song and a culturally significant piece of 'art'.
TO = used for expressing motion or direction toward a point, person, place, or thing approached and reached, as opposed to from

TWO = the number 2

TOO = in addition; also; furthermore; to an excessive extent or degree
Who cares? Making music for money is no more or less legitimate than making it because you enjoy it (or any other reason). Why does it matter in the slightest?
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
We have a backwards society. Why is it that an artist makes crappy music to make money and not the other way around?

I don't care if an artist does a commercial or two as long as the music is still good. You have to remember the music business is a competition, and these guys deserve money for a house and food too. But it seems to correlate (the longer you've played + the bigger you are= Crappy Music) Like Metallica for example my favorite album of theirs is Ride The Lightning. Now they have a Guitar Hero Game and Death Magnetic sucks. Coincidence? I think not.
"A sense of purpose overrides reason."- Terry Goodkind

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace."-Jimi Hendrix

\,,/GETCHA PULL!!!\,,/
- the late and ever-loved "Dimebag" Darrell Lance Abbott
Last edited by atlasguitar at Feb 22, 2009,
Quote by atlasguitar
We have a backwards society. Why is it that an artist makes crappy music to make money and not the other way around?

I don't care if an artist does a commercial or two as long as the music is still good. But it seems to correlate (the longer you've played + the bigger you are= Crappy Music) Like Metallica for example my favorite album of theirs is Ride The Lightning. Now they have a Guitar Hero Game and Death Magnetic sucks. Coincidence? I think not.

Maybe you think it sucks because they got so big.

And for music to get "big", it has to appeal to someone. Just because it doesn't appeal to you or me, doesn't mean it's not good.
Follow me on Twitter
Define selling out?

If by chance I were to become suddenly huge with the music I make now and some big heartless record company gave me a ****load of cash to sign on their label and do promotional work but I continued to make and perform political roots reggae, would it still be selling out?
"We must become members of a new race, overcoming petty prejudice, owing our ultimate allegiance not to nations, but to our fellow men within the human community."
- H.I.M Haile Selassie I
Accepted? no
Expected? yes

if it was accepted, there would be no need for articles on it
Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds.
Quote by atlasguitar

I don't care if an artist does a commercial or two as long as the music is still good. You have to remember the music business is a competition, and these guys deserve money for a house and food too. But it seems to correlate (the longer you've played + the bigger you are= Crappy Music) Like Metallica for example my favorite album of theirs is Ride The Lightning. Now they have a Guitar Hero Game and Death Magnetic sucks. Coincidence? I think not.

Or it could be because they're getting on a bit and don't have the same youthful energy they once did, not to mention the myriad problems they've faced along the way...

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Quote by brandon369852
Maybe you think it sucks because they got so big.

And for music to get "big", it has to appeal to someone. Just because it doesn't appeal to you or me, doesn't mean it's not good.

No I like AC/DC's new album and they are know around the world. If you listen to the album it sucks. It is unimaginative and the worst part is the mixing. They could have just turned down the snare and it would have been 10x more listenable. I still can't listen to it though.

Edit: Also Metallica were probably the biggest when Black Album came out and that is a great album.

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace."-Jimi Hendrix

\,,/GETCHA PULL!!!\,,/
Last edited by atlasguitar at Feb 22, 2009,
Quote by IDread
Define selling out?

If by chance I were to become suddenly huge with the music I make now and some big heartless record company gave me a ****load of cash to sign on their label and do promotional work but I continued to make and perform political roots reggae, would it still be selling out?

Yes, because you're still making money from it.

Quote by atlasguitar
No I like AC/DC's new album and they are know around the world. If you listen to the album it sucks. It is unimaginative and the worst part is the mixing. They could have just turned down the snare and it would have been 10x more listenable. I still can't listen to it though.

Neither can I, but I was never into them. They still attracted millions of people with this album, so they must be doing something right.
Follow me on Twitter
Last edited by brandon369852 at Feb 22, 2009,
I think people should just get over it..
Her friends are gazing on her,
And on her gaudy bier,
And weep!-oh! to dishonor
Dead beauty with a tear!
They loved her for her wealth-
And they hated her for her pride-
But she grew in feeble health,
And they love her-that she died.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Or it could be because they're getting on a bit and don't have the same youthful energy they once did, not to mention the myriad problems they've faced along the way...

And that is what I meant by "the longer you've played" They probably just don't have it in them anymore.

\,,/GETCHA PULL!!!\,,/
Page 1 of 3