So I got Dimarzio D-Activators. When I first installed em they didn't work at all. But I fixed the grounding issue I think. But now only the neck pickup I think it is works. The other one doesn't make sound. And the neck pickup when I'm using it has a very trebly nasty sound. What could the problem be?
My my your helpful . Yes it's more economical and I potted my old pickups and put em back in last time no problem. It's just my old soldering gun was really sloppy so I got a new one just now and am wondering what the problem could be so I could fix it snippity snap.
bad wiring
see if you can find the problem, if not take it to a store to get it fixed
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
This thread is a dumping ground for bad grammar and spelling, apparently.
Fighting the good fight since 'ought-diggity.

My Gear

"When you think of it, a really good effect should not mean that your search is over; it should mean that your journey is just getting started."
They've already established that you ****ed up the wiring, what do you want us to do? Come wire it for you?
Better, Faster, Stronger

Kansas City Chiefs

Kansas State Wildcats
Quote by airbrendie
Hey guys in the last 3 weeks I ****ed all the girls in this picture, what do you think?

Quote by WtrPlyr
^If that fixes his problem I don't think he's gonna say no to that

Indeed haha.

Of course I don't want you to wire it for me. Just quit attacking me for nothing. Or spamming up the thread.
Quote by maggot2011
So I got Dimarzio D-Activators. When I first installed em they didn't work at all. But I fixed the grounding issue I think. But now only the neck pickup I think it is works. The other one doesn't make sound. And the neck pickup when I'm using it has a very trebly nasty sound. What could the problem be?

Go over your diagram again and start trouble shooting, start at point "A" and work your way through the connections. I had a problem when I did my first p-up swap and it turned out to be a selector switch issue........
Epi Les Paul-APH1/Mean 90
MIM Strat

Korg DTR1000
ADA MP-1
Mesa/Boogie Quad Pre
Mesa/Boogie Midi Matrix
<power amp>

Quote by rhcp_freak
If you're EQ'd loose, you'll sound loose anyway.
Quote by maggot2011
Indeed haha.

Of course I don't want you to wire it for me. Just quit attacking me for nothing. Or spamming up the thread.

You're right, sorry. Just FedEx the guitar and wiring diagram to me and I'll do it for ya.

Just walk through every step of the wiring, check the soldering points, and if that still doesn't work, de-solder it and try again. If that doesn't work, maybe the pickups or wiring are faulty.
Fighting the good fight since 'ought-diggity.

My Gear

"When you think of it, a really good effect should not mean that your search is over; it should mean that your journey is just getting started."
Well I redid it at my drummer's house since we had practice today. I got the neck pickup working but the bridge no matter how we resoldered it it wouldn't work. So he called his dad and his dad has been working on guitars for years stops by. He could get some output out of it but hardly any so he said the wires for the pickup selector were probably old or just done since it couldn't be the ones from the pickup if I just bought em. Can I go to GC and just ask for a rewiring kit for like $20 or something?
Are you sure you used the correct color coding? With Dimarzio, you need to solder the white and black together, than tape them off. Green and bare go to ground, and red is your hot.

Also, make sure all of our solder joints are round and shiny. Deformed and dull ones ones are no good. Don't blow on the joints to cool them down.
Exactly what I did. It's okay if I wind together the bare and green and solder them together then to ground right?

I think all my joints were shiny and smooth, not dull and rough.
Yep. The neck pickup sounds just as it should. Also made me realize how muddy my old pickups were. These have as much if not more definition than the old bridge pickup. Maybe the bridge pickup is out of phase?

I left everything with the drummer's dad. He said to go get a rewiring kit from Guitarcenter and he'd fix it for me asap. Dude is crazy supportive of our music.
No idea either. I'll see if I can go pickup my stuff tomorrow and check it out. How much would that cost? How can I check what exactly is wrong. I need my guitar functioning ASAP since we've got a show coming up in a month and we need to get our singer ready.
photograph every step along te way and review if you messed up. youll see what happened.
Jackson RR5 ivory w/ EMG 81/85
Jackson DX6 w/ SD Distortion & Dimarzio Super Distortion
Fender Starcaster Sunburst
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
What kind am I looking for? I guess I'm replacing the pickup selector one (one hot, one ground, two for the pickups?) and if nothing works the bridge pickup is defective and Dimarzio owes me lol.
So I can just use seperate wires for each of the controls? I'm sure I don't have to replace the wires coming out of the pickups because that'd suck big ones. They don't but I scanned it so I'll upload it to photobucket and shoot it your way. Give me a minute.

Diagram:
http://s163.photobucket.com/albums/t308/darkguitarist93/?action=view&current=02-22-2009105218AM.jpg
And for giggles:
Last edited by maggot2011 at Feb 23, 2009,
Make sure you didn't ground your hot signal, by checking and double checking how you wired your volume control and if there are any short circuits.

With a multimeter, check for continuity between the lugs of the volume control, and from the volume control to the switch.

Your problem lies there.

Check the D.C. Resistance of youe bridge humbucker by measuring across the hot to the ground connection. If you get a reasonable reading (I think the D-Activators have a D.C. Resistance greater than 15K) then your pick functions fine.