i put heavier gauge strings on my guitar a long while ago and never thought about adjusting it or anything. well, now i want to lower the action and i'm wonder if i should use the truss rod or file the saddle. there does seem to be a very slight bow in the neck too. what would you guys suggest i do first?
The truss rod is NEVER for adjusting action. It is for adjusting bow only.

What you need to do first is file down the bottom of the saddle. After that, the truss rod needs to be adjusted(if necessary). There should always be a slight forward bow.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
Quote by captivate
The truss rod is NEVER for adjusting action. It is for adjusting bow only.

This is generally true, but having too much bow in one way or another can most certainly put the strings too high or low. Its always good to sight down the length of the neck to see if there's adjustment needed.
Quote by captivate
What you need to do first is file down the bottom of the saddle. After that, the truss rod needs to be adjusted(if necessary). There should always be a slight forward bow.

I'd suggest making sure the neck is in check before before grinding away at the saddle. Its easy to adjust neck bow, but if you sand away at the saddle and then straighten out the neck, bad things are bound to happen.

And I'd guess, assuming the action was good before the heavy strings were put on, that the truss rod just needs a bit more tension to compensate.
Last edited by GC Shred Off at Feb 22, 2009,
^ Correct on all counts. Also, remember that the truss won't effect the action at or above the 12th fret, nor will it have an effect at the 1st fret. Those are the stationary ends of the truss rod, if you want to think of it that way. In between those two points, yes, the truss has an effect in the action height, which is why it should be sorted out before the saddle is addressed. Each has an effect on the other to a degree, so that their adjustments overlap slightly.
The TS stated that he has some bow to the neck. But which way? And is it sufficient to prevent buzzing should he lower the action at the saddle? Figure this out before making the saddle adjustment, as GC said.
Last edited by LeftyDave at Feb 23, 2009,
My bad.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
yeah, there's a slight backwards bow. i'll take care of that. thanks guys