i am not sure if im turning the amp on right. I turn on the standby at let it warmup for 2 minutes then i turn the on switch on and keep the standby on?
You turn the ON switch on first for 2 min. then turn the STANDBY switch on and the amp will be warmed up.
Fender 50th Anniversary Strat
ESP KH-2
Gibson SG Standard
Marshall JVM210H
Marshall DSL50
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange 4x12 w/ Vintage 30s

Quote by druz15_UG
LPDave wins the internet!!!
Quote by LPDave
You turn the ON switch on first for 2 min. then turn the STANDBY switch on and the amp will be warmed up.

**** lol, ive been doing it wrong for the past week, i hope this wont damage my amp
just the tubes, will give you an excuse to put better tubes in it in 8 months
Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Gibson Explorer New Century
Gibson RD Artist
Fender American Standard Telecaster

Amps:

Framus Cobra
Marshall JCM800 2203 - 1960A

Pedals:

Crybaby 535Q
Rockbox Boiling Point Overdrive
Won't have done too much damage, unless you've been playing for hours and hours on end every day. Just make sure you look after your amp!
HOWAYA LUV ;D

BUGERA USERS MILITIA
If you're using the tube rectifier, don't worry about how you're turning it on. Using the standby function is not really necessary. If you're using the SS diode rectifier, make sure to leave it on standby for say... 20-30 seconds. That is usually sufficient.
you've got it backwards. good thing you asked us though, if you kept this going your tubes would be dead in a matter of months.

Quote by al112987
If you're using the tube rectifier, don't worry about how you're turning it on. Using the standby function is not really necessary. If you're using the SS diode rectifier, make sure to leave it on standby for say... 20-30 seconds. That is usually sufficient.

so wait, suppose i was using a mesa rectifier (example), i wouldnt have to leave it on standby? wow, never knew that
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
Quote by nutinpwnsgibson

so wait, suppose i was using a mesa rectifier (example), i wouldnt have to leave it on standby? wow, never knew that

It depends if you're using the solid state rectifier or tube rectifier. For a tube rectifier, you don't really need to bother with the standby. It depends, most people I know who use Mesa Rectifier amps are metal players who don't use tube rectifiers (which causes response to be too loose and saggy for high gain tones and faster styles), in which case you would need to use the the standby for solid state rectifiers.
Quote by al112987

Wow, I didn't know that either! Question for ya then....How come, if I turn the standby switch on too fast, it still takes time before the sound starts coming out...set on Tube setting............
Because, the entire purpose of the standby is to turn on the heater filaments in the tube to warm it up before you send several hundred DC volts of B+ to the tube, and it's no different for a tube rectified amp. All the rectifier does is turn the AC voltage from the wall to DC voltage that powers the amplifier, but tube rectifiers need to heat up themselves before they become functional, and by the time that they are working, your preamp and power amp tubes are already sufficiently heated. Solid state rectifiers don't need to heat up, they work efficiently, so if you're not using standby in that case, you're pretty much nuking cold tubes with high voltage.

Edit: A Rectifier is not an amplifier. It's a component in every amplifier. It's always a pet peeve of mine when people say "Mesa rectifier" when referring to a line of amps (even though I'm guilty of it as well). They are named that because the single rectifier has a single solid state rectifier, dual and triple rectifiers have multiple rectifiers and rectification options and modes, etc.
Last edited by al112987 at Feb 22, 2009,
damn thats why my tubes dies in 7 months. i just would flip on both switched at the same time
(Main)Gear-v
Jackson Dinky DKMGT
PRS SE Paul Allender
Peavey 6505+ 112
Quote by seizetheday1103
damn thats why my tubes dies in 7 months. i just would flip on both switched at the same time

My gear:
PRS SE custom
~!~--Peavey XXX super 40 EFX --~!~
Peavey VK 112

===WGS Vet30
===JJ power tubes

---Pedals:
-ISP Decimator
-Digitech Bad Monkey
-Crybaby wah
-Korg Pitchblack
-Danelectro FnC EQ