I've been playing on my acoustic guitar for nearly 3months and I've been struggling to learn something new on my guitar. I only know how to play Time of your life by Greenday, I know how awesome that song but I think I wanna try playing something more indie/rock songs. I was wondering If anyone would recommend any songs that are easy but also will help me improve on my guitar.
under the bridge by rhcp is good played acoustic
I sat next to a nun on the bus once, she said hi

Twitter: @Pikey_P - wise words right there.
Never to Late by Three Days Grace

Although I don't think its played on an acoustic, it still sounds nice:

Kryptonite by Three Doors Down

some song by Three word another word /joke

Also both are very easy to learn
Karma Police by Radiohead sounds really nice on an acoustic, there is an excellent video lesson here on this very site. Its one of the songs I am most pleased to have learned.

Also, Waltz #2 by Elliot smith is worthwhile learning. Interesting chords and interesting rhythm

Im also aiming for Tiger Mountain Peasant Song by Fleet Foxes but thats a looooong way of perfection at my current noob-skill level. Sounds great though!
FYI, if your object is to get better at your acoustic guitar, then don't just practice songs. Practice scales, theory and exercises as well, to the point where you can comfortably write your own material. That is the most rewarding aspect of an Acoustic guitar IMO. Writing your own progressions and melodies. Practicing other stuff does help, but nowhere near as fast as learning some theory and practicing exercises and THEN going to learn more songs.
Quote by GuitarDTO
FYI, if your object is to get better at your acoustic guitar, then don't just practice songs. Practice scales, theory and exercises as well, to the point where you can comfortably write your own material. That is the most rewarding aspect of an Acoustic guitar IMO. Writing your own progressions and melodies. Practicing other stuff does help, but nowhere near as fast as learning some theory and practicing exercises and THEN going to learn more songs.

Dude, you don't need to learn theory and scales to write your own music. I find it more fun and rewarding by changing about chords, finding something that sounds different but good and then writing a song using that. Although Theory and scales would probably make it easier.
"If God exists, there's no way he is French" - Andrea Pirlo

S A D B O Y S
Quote by I.O.T.M
Dude, you don't need to learn theory and scales to write your own music. I find it more fun and rewarding by changing about chords, finding something that sounds different but good and then writing a song using that. Although Theory and scales would probably make it easier.

You just said it, it makes it easier. When I was learning, I took about 3-4 months where I studied some basic theory, literally stuff like Fretboard Logic, Music Theory for dummies, etc, and now everything makes some sense and it makes writing your own stuff very simple. Yes, you can do that without theory, but my point was just learning songs isnt necessarily the best way to get there quickly. Before I knew what playing in the key of G meant, it would have taken awhile for me to figure out something that sounds good together, whereas now I can lay down a chord progression and a melody on top of it just by tinkering with the chords in the key of G (much like you were just suggesting).
first song i ever learned my older brother taught to me... Wonderwall by Oasis. pretty simple and very fun to play and great if u have a small group of people in a singalong settup. i remember i started playing that at camp over the summer and 4 of my buddies were sitting with me and we all started singing and pretty soon like 5 more people showed up and sang along it was that purely contagious magic of guitar i guess...

so yea wonderwall, also.....

-slide and iris by goo goo dolls
-free fallin, american girl, or mary janes last dance by tom petty

also the small riff from What I Got by Sublime... the one right after "I can play the guitar like a mother f***ing riot!" it comes up a few times in the song. its short and a little difficult to pick up at first but if u get the hang of it its a very fun riff to play.
Def cab for cutie- i'll follow you into the dark.
Thats a nice song to learn.
Oh, and here without you- 3 doors down.

Quote by Karl Pilkington
Jellyfish are 97% water or something, so how much are they doing? Just give them another 3% and make them water. It's more useful."