I've played trumpet for about four years; so I know all the rhythms, notes, time signatures, and I understand how a major scale is constructed.

But I know there is much more I have to learn. What other things should I learn and in what order?
probably scales and stuff like that.. i dont really have much to tell ya haha sorry
learn the notes on the fretboard, otherwise you're trying to learn to spell without knowing the alphabet.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
...harmony?

I'm currently on that road, and I must say, I need some piano lessons, and I'm a guitarist.
If you play guitar, please don't waste your time in The Pit, and please instead educate yourself in the Musician Talk forum, where you can be missing out on valuable info.
Quote by DiminishedFifth
It's like you read my mind!

I got meself a self-approving sig. Kick. Ass.
Quote by steven seagull
learn the notes on the fretboard, otherwise you're trying to learn to spell without knowing the alphabet.

This.

Learn how to construct Triads (or chords in general) by using the major scale.

Learn the other major (minor, pentonic, etc.) scales. /yah that sentence sounded funny...

I'm going to assume you know the A A# B C C# D D# E F F# G G# A (etc.) so from there it's just a matter of learning the fretboard (REMEMBER IT CHANGES BY TUNING)

I suggest learning and memorizing Standard Tuning:
eBGDAE
Easter bunny gets drunk at easter | going from high e to low E

How to change tunings by using relative positions (?) (eg; you can go to drop D by fretting 12 on the Low E string and tuning the E string (fretted down at 12) with the open D string)

Chord Progressions as well, almost left that out....
Last edited by Invokke_Havokk at Feb 22, 2009,
Basics
- -Note names/chromatic scale
- -intervals
- -major scale
- -minor scale
- -circle of fifths
- -basic triad construction
- -inversions
- -basic seventh chord construction
- -inversions
- -basic extended chord, add chord, sus chord, and altered chord construction
- -harmonizing major and minor scales (keeping it diatonic)

Harmonic Theory
- -Root movement (progression, regression, succession)
- -Basic chord progressions (vamp, three chord trick, four chord trick)
- -Harmonic function in chord progressions
- -Diatonic chord substitution (chord families)
- -Cadences
- -Harmonic Minor - function (touch on melodic minor)
- -Tonicization secondary dominants
- -Borrowing chords
- -Elaborating and decorating harmonies (Direct substitution and using extended, altered, sus and add chords)
- -Harmonizing melodies
- -More chord progressions (cycle of fourths, cycle of fifths, ascending and descending bass lines etc)
- -Modulation/Key changes

Melodic theory
- -Countour
- -Note choice - using chord tones
- -arpeggios
- -Note choice - using sequences
- -Note choice - motifs
- -Decorating melodies (passing tones, neighbouring tones etc)
- -Phrasing
- -Approaching and exiting melodic leaps
- -Revisit Melodic Minor scale
- -Using Motion (similar motion, oblique motion, contrary motion)
- -Using Dynamics
- -Note Choice - using non chord tones, extended chord tones etc.

I'm sure I've missed a ton of stuff. Music theory is a broad topic. You can vary the order too. You can learn Harmonic and Melodic theory at the same time.

It's also great to learn how to analyze songs properly. You want to learn song structure and how to transition between parts well to make a song sound like it goes together even though the parts might have a strong contrast with each other.

If you can find a good book that analyzes the theory behind the music you like it will help make sense of lots of things and you can see how the theory works in actual songs.

Listen to songs and make notes about what happens.

Make notes on your own playing and your own observations about what works.

Just make sure you do ear training and when you learn something don't move on until you have understood the concepts well on your instrument. Some things might take you ten minutes to learn and understand. Some things might take you a month or more.

Best of Luck
Si
Last edited by 20Tigers at Feb 22, 2009,