Im buying an ENGL Savage 120 Soon, The ENGL z7 Midi Interface, ROcktron Xpression, Rocktron Midi Mate. I was wondering if using this equipment i will be able to save amp settings and Rocktron Patch Settings and switch them both using one button on the Midi Board.

For Example i use Chorus and Delay on my cleans, so i set up the amp write it to bank 1 on the ENGL z7 set up my effects patch on the Rocktron save that to bank 1 on the rocktron, and then using the MIDI board set Button one to switch to that clean sound i created, on both the rocktron and ENGL???

How will i have to wire all this??

Really confused about all this midi stuff ! Need some serious help !

Thanks guys.
My Gear

Ibanez J Custom RG8570Z-BX - BKP Warpigs
ESP Eclipse II Full Thickness - BKP Nailbombs
Fender Mexican Strat - BKP Trilogy Suites.

Axe FX II - Matrix GT1000FX - Rocktron All Access.

Stinnett M7 in the works
An Engl savage is way too good of an amp for you to even bother with midi bull****.

If you really really need a chorus and delay, just buy two boss pedals and put them in the effects loop.

Are you in pink floyd? If not, you don't need midi ****.
The gods you worship are Steel
At the altar of Rock N Roll you kneel
A slave who forever Rocks
Is chained in the Devil's locks
AND SLAIN BY THE BLOODY AXE I WHAIL!
I use quite a lot of effects, and lots of different channels, i use about 8 different channels and effects settings in general, all different banks of effects and channels on the amp, so i just need to able to switch all of them at once as it would be one hell of a tap dance !

Like i use light chorus on my crunch sound, but i have different chorus when i switch to clean? + always delay on my cleans, i use no delay on my crunch sound, but light delay on all my leads and heavy delay on slow wailing leads, so its quite important for me to be able to switch all this stuff ! I would end up having to buy a pedal board for the ENGL and one for the rackmount anyway, so one pedal board to control both would be better !!!
My Gear

Stinnett M7 in the works
Quote by DeathMask
An Engl savage is way too good of an amp for you to even bother with midi bull****.

If you really really need a chorus and delay, just buy two boss pedals and put them in the effects loop.

Are you in pink floyd? If not, you don't need midi ****.

Um, since when did having a nice amp make it dumb to use midi switched effects?

Last time I checked the people with the midi switching systems are often some of the people with the NICEST amps.

He also said he needed DIFFERENT levels of chorus and delay. I suppose this means he should buy 3 delay pedals, and 3 chorus pedals, and set them each differently, and when he wants to switch from clean to lead he has to shut off his clean chorus and clean delay, then turn on the lead chorus, and lead delay?

Smart.

Anyway dude,

I think in theory, provided that all of your effects are out of those mentioned systems, and not pedals (because obviously you can't use them with midi) you should have no problem doing that, though, unfortunately, I couldn't tell you how.
I'm Joel. I play guitar. I am a student. I look at the cost of tuition, not in a dollar value, but in the guitars I'm sacrificing now, to be able to buy later.
Last edited by echo_4190 at Feb 22, 2009,
yeah, it should work the way you want. I don't know the specific commands on your gear, but both midi devices, the Savage w/Z7 and Xpression, will have a store/write feature. Set both the Savage and Xpression to the settings you want to use for your first preset. When you hit the store/write command on the Savage and Xpression, they will sit waiting for a midi command from your midi mate.

Your midi mate is the actual controller that's sending instructions. So, preset one, it's sends out a midi command.

While both the savage and Xpression are waiting for a midi command to store, you hit whatever midi mate button you want to use for the first preset. It sends out it's specific midi command for that button, and both the Savage and Xpression see that command. You then hit the store/write command again on the savage and xpression, and they will store that midi command associated with all the settings you currently are running.

Any time the Savage w/Z7 or Xpression see that midi command now, they will revert back to the settings you had saved for that preset. Pretty simple.

Doesn't matter which device you go to first. Midi out from the Midi mate, to the midi in port of one of your devices. Whichever device you decided to connect to first, you connect the next device using it's midi in, connected to the Midi Thru on the first device. This way it relays the same midi command to both devices.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
Last edited by Erock503 at Feb 22, 2009,
just bear in mind, i don't think the MIDI will save the amp's knob settings...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
^This is true. I think you may need an Engl Z7 interface for this doing, but I am not 100% sure on that.
Thanks guys ! I understand how it works now, all i need to do is get the rocktron 7 PIN midi cable connect the midi mate to the xpression via that, then run a cable from the xpressions midi thru to the input on the z7 then get to work writing my presets.

Yeah i know about not being able to change the EQ settings on the front of the amp using Midi but this is fine, the main problem is channel switching + the switching of other functions on the amp + changing about 3-4 effects at once all in one button press!

Midi is very important to me because of the way i use effects so thanks a bunch guys for the help !
My Gear

Stinnett M7 in the works
no worries, just making sure you realised that, because when i started looking into engls i thought the MIDI let you switch the EQ and gain settings etc. too, which it doesn't. I just use normal footswitches because of that (because of cheaping out, mainly).

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?