so yesterday, I was looking on craigslist and I saw an ad saying "rythm guitarist wanting to play" or something like that, and he claimed he was good, and wanted to play in a band and all that. So I gave him a call, and invited him to come down to my house and jam for a while. When we spoke on the phone he sounded like he knew what he was talking about...so I thought he was going to be quite good.

So today, when he stoped by, I was quite shocked. He was absolutly terrible! He didnt know his major chords or any for that matter, he only knew 2 songs and his technique was just so bad. It was as if he was only playing for 2 days! But when he first stopped by, he asked if I knew any Skynyrd, so I asked if he wanted to play Sweet home Alabama, he said sure. so I told him D, Cadd9, G..and he was totally confused. Didnt even know a D chord! Then he tried to explain to me plenty of good guitarists dont know their chords. I immediatly just let him play his crap, and just walked around my house as if he wasnt even there, until his ride got here.

Anybody have any simalar experiences?
that was me, thanks for tellin everyone on internet....

it wasnt me
Gear:
Jackson DK2 Trans Black

Peavey 6505
Marshall 1960AV
Quote by StratPlayer15
so yesterday, I was looking on craigslist and I saw an ad saying "rythm guitarist wanting to play" or something like that, and he claimed he was good, and wanted to play in a band and all that. So I gave him a call, and invited him to come down to my house and jam for a while. When we spoke on the phone he sounded like he knew what he was talking about...so I thought he was going to be quite good.

So today, when he stoped by, I was quite shocked. He was absolutly terrible! He didnt know his major chords or any for that matter, he only knew 2 songs and his technique was just so bad. It was as if he was only playing for 2 days! But when he first stopped by, he asked if I knew any Skynyrd, so I asked if he wanted to play Sweet home Alabama, he said sure. so I told him D, Cadd9, G..and he was totally confused. Didnt even know a D chord! Then he tried to explain to me plenty of good guitarists dont know their chords. I immediatly just let him play his crap, and just walked around my house as if he wasnt even there, until his ride got here.

Anybody have any simalar experiences?

nah never had that experiance... i only ever play with people i meet normaly.... i dont go searching in the classified for people to be friends and play with me
I've experienced this every single time I've tried to find a band or new band member. I also hate it when potential band members turn up not having learned the 2 songs I asked them to learn before hand... without even letting me know! It's not like it's much trouble!

It's incredibly annoying playing with people who lack theory. I've played with a bassist who asked if we could play 12 bar blues and he didn't know how many bars to play the chords for. I've played with people who change keys randomly. I've even played with a guitarist who was confused when I told him to just play the blues scale if he didn't know anything else.

I wouldn't mind but it's not like I'm a master of theory, these people are just terrible terrible musician's who later brag about how good they are in the pub. I hate them!

I played with a drummer just 2 days ago who thought 12 bar blues ment he should play a certain 3/4 beat and nothing else. He argue'd with me and we fell out. It's a shame because he was a nice person!
Quote by Karmaface
I've experienced this every single time I've tried to find a band or new band member. I also hate it when potential band members turn up not having learned the 2 songs I asked them to learn before hand... without even letting me know! It's not like it's much trouble!

It's incredibly annoying playing with people who lack theory. I've played with a bassist who asked if we could play 12 bar blues and he didn't know how many bars to play the chords for. I've played with people who change keys randomly. I've even played with a guitarist who was confused when I told him to just play the blues scale if he didn't know anything else.

I wouldn't mind but it's not like I'm a master of theory, these people are just terrible terrible musician's who later brag about how good they are in the pub. I hate them!

I played with a drummer just 2 days ago who thought 12 bar blues ment he should play a certain 3/4 beat and nothing else. He argue'd with me and we fell out. It's a shame because he was a nice person!

Exactly!
But theres no way youve ever played with someone who lacks theory as much as the guy i played with today!
I actually was invited to play with a band... We were supposed to play Crust. That's really basic, fast power chords in simple progressions. The guitarist actually sat down, counted to four, and started playing the chords, one stroke every beat, one chord per bar. That sure didn't sound right. After four rehearsals, I stopped showing up.
Maruszczyk Jake X Redburst
Woodo B5x Aboyna Burl
Ashdown MAG300H + Ashdown 1x15 (Eminence Delta 15)

Believing Carlos!
OP; by some people's standard, I'm guessing you aren't good.
Call me Batman.
Not being good is fine...it's ignorance that sucks. People who aren't good but still listen are just fine to play with since you can teach them what you want them to play.
Quote by one vision
I love how people get defensive all of a sudden.

Do you have to know the name of a chord? No.

Does it help to know it? Yes.

Yea, i dont want to have to waste my time telling him the fingering. And, if he wants me to play anything of his, hes going to need to tell me the chords, i dont want to waste time figuring them out myself.