hey guys in the market for a used Fender stratocaster. There are so many models to choose from but I was thinking a used Fender MIM Strat off eBay for around $300. My price range is around $300-$400 because I also want to get a new amp in the future, probably before I get the new guitar. I've seen many good deals on Ebay that may look too good to be true, but I think many of those guitars are real and in decent condition.
So MIM Strat? I read on the forums that the high end Squires are better than them...
Has to be sunburst
Some of the MIM Strats have a slightly dirtier tone than the US ones and can have a sound that I actually perfer. Personally, I think it is a step up from the Squires, even though others have had some great success hod rodding their squires.
My 2008 MIM Strat SSH is an amazing guitar. Got it off of Musiciansfriend for about $400. I'm adding a DiMarzio fast track 2 ($65)to get more versatility.

I'd recommend the MIM strats; if mine was run over by a car or otherwise demolished I'd get another in a heartbeat.

Otherwise the lower-mid range Ibanezs' and ESPs' I've played sound good for "heavier" kinds of music.
I can vouch for the MiM strats, I got the arctic white W/ maple fretboard, the pictures never do them justice. I dropped some '69 CS pups in mine, but the stock pickups don't sound too bad.
Quote by ElliotTW2K6
You can get a New MIM Strat for $350, dont get a squire, they are ****.

Not true.The classic vibe series is on par with lower end fenders in a lot of cases.Don't assume the entire brand is made up of affinity and bullet models.

WARNING!: THIS USER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO BE AN OPINIONATED ASS. ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN READING POSTS AND NEVER USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

Used MIA. Check eBay--there are tons of them.
1999 Gibson LP R9
2006 Tele John Cruz Masterbuilt
2007 MIA Strat Sunburst
2008 PRS SC-J Thinline Black Cherry/Bigsby (for sale)
2009 Zerberus Hydra II
2009 Custom Red Strat

Traynor YCV-50 Blue
i friend of mine has a MIM strat in the sunburst finish and its a very good guitar, has some nice sounds to it, looks gorgeous. plus strats are easy to put new pickups in
MIJ is a far better guitar than MIM, should just about get one on your budget
Fender Roadhouse Deluxe Strat
Vintage Acoustic
Home-made 18 Watt all valve Marshall clone
Talent: zero (but trying)
Quote by mockinbyrd
The standard strats are decent but they sound like s**t with the tone off.

I'm sure most guitars sound like that, with the tone off. Do you mean the tone knob rolled off or what?

TS, MIM Strats are excellent value for the money. You can probably find something that will suit you. Heck, if you go used, you could save a couple hundred bucks maybe, and swap pickups.

EDIT: On eBay or Craig's List, Kajiji, etc. I have seen them go for $175-$300ish but I never took a second look on the condition of the instrument or whatever.
Last edited by XxGibsonSGxX at Feb 23, 2009,