Here's the back story. I have a phonic powerpod 620 pa because I'm primarily a vocalist, but I also have been dabbling in strings for about 10 years (READ: still a beginner) My strings section is as follows: Ibanez Art100 electric, peavey millennium 4 ac bpx bass, a fender stratacoustic, and a dean zen acoustic. My gear chain for the guitars is: guitar - metal muff - crap 10w ss amp i got when I first started.

My new years resolution is to become the guitar player I set out to be when I was 16. I have the determination, time instruments, and got Learn and Master Guitar instructional suite to round it all out.

So the crap amp is now dead. Here comes the question. I've decided to just use the pa as an amp. I am thinking all i need is a sansamp (probably the ParaDriver di), and The pa should be adequate for what I want. I know I should, and want get a nice tube amp, (been looking at blackstar's , valvekings, kustom defender, and kranks) but I just bought a house so what I want will have to wait and for now I'll settle for pretty close.

Will the sansamp be aqequate for this situation or does anyone have any other sugestions?

I'm all over with my musical interests (mostly metal, but I also like blues, alternative, classic rock, pretty much anything but country, teeny bopper ****e, and easy listening)
I have plugged in my guitar through PA before. Obviously, it isn't going to sound as good as with an amp, but it will definitely work. PA's are built to handle a wide range of frequencies so you're fine there.

Although I don't have direct experience with a preamp into the PA, I would imagine that the SansAmp or anything along those lines will sound good. I know there are people who run things like Pods straight into PA.
All of our days are numbered
I’ve taken some comfort
In knowing the wave has crested
Knowing I don’t have to be an exception
I have plugged into the pa with the metal muff in between and it does sound ok, I'm wondering if the sansamp will make it more appropriate for strings and a bit less sterile?
you should look into a pod xt live or pod x3 live. you can get an amp sim out of almost any pedal, but the speakers in an cab or combo play a huge role in the tone of a guitar, so a speaker sim is very important. Get a pedal with amp & cab sims and you'll be set for a PA.
I'm putting my GAS on hold
for a couple months in order to pimp my ride.

Don't judge me.
Quote by kalel3914
I have plugged into the pa with the metal muff in between and it does sound ok, I'm wondering if the sansamp will make it more appropriate for strings and a bit less sterile?

I would imagine it would, since the SansAmp behaves as a pre-amp, I believe.
All of our days are numbered
I’ve taken some comfort
In knowing the wave has crested
Knowing I don’t have to be an exception
Cool beans! Ordering the sansamp now. Prefer it because it's analog as opposed to the digital of the pod and other emulators. Never was a fan of digital emulation, and it doesn't have all the crap effects i don't want/need, and it works well with anything you want to run through it (including vocals, or so says every review I've read thus far). Thanks all for the help and have a great day!!!
Last edited by kalel3914 at Feb 22, 2009,