What is the cheapest way to record your guitar to the computer? Besides using a mic to the amp. Editing Software? Free? Just wondering.
audacity, then an adapter for guitar cable to computer mic imput.
Quote by boreamor
Ah very good point. Charlie__flynn, you've out smarted me

People
should
smile
more

crit4crit on 'acoustic 1 (with piano)' here

Rate my playing skills please.
Im sorry but audacity sucks ass for nearly every purpose. Not supporting VST-s is a huge downside. What use is being able to record stuff with it if you cant use the industry standard effects? Without at least a speaker sim a guitar signal into computer will sound terrible.
Cassette recorder in the middle of the room. You can find tapes really cheap.
AL
audacity or reaper.
+
guitar->standard 1/4 cable -> 1/4 to 1/8 adapter -> line in / mic in port on computer
=
Wow that sounds bad but at least i have it recorded.

-Ryan
Quote by 1337void
Im sorry but audacity sucks ass for nearly every purpose. Not supporting VST-s is a huge downside. What use is being able to record stuff with it if you cant use the industry standard effects? Without at least a speaker sim a guitar signal into computer will sound terrible.

He asked for the cheapest way, not the best, or even decent.
There is poetry in despair.
Quote by fridge_raider
He asked for the cheapest way, not the best, or even decent.
if price is an issue, warez will likely be used anyway, in which case you can do way better than audacity without spending more money.
before you buy an adapter to your pc, download a demo of a program and check if you have ASIO, if not, your soundcard MOST LIKELY suck.
Quote by 1337void
if price is an issue, warez will likely be used anyway, in which case you can do way better than audacity without spending more money.

Except they might not, because not everyone is willing to steal software.
Quote by GisleAune
before you buy an adapter to your pc, download a demo of a program and check if you have ASIO, if not, your soundcard MOST LIKELY suck.

that's pretty much a given unless he owns a mac. But you can get passable demo quality stuff with most modern soundcards, even the cheap inbuilt ones.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Last edited by Kid_Thorazine at Feb 24, 2009,
Quote by Jared R. Boyd
audacity or reaper.
+
guitar->standard 1/4 cable -> 1/4 to 1/8 adapter -> line in / mic in port on computer
=
Wow that sounds bad but at least i have it recorded.

-Ryan

This.
WONGA!
Quote by StringAssassin
I would be angry too if there were turds on my head.
I use Audacity and the Rock band mic for my stuff,Its not the greatest sounding stuff out there but its very passable.I've got two examples in my profile,You can get decent results if you spend the time tinkering around.
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
that's pretty much a given unless he owns a mac...

I own a Mac and also a Vista PC - the Mac is HEAVEN to record with - the stock sound chip in the G5 Imac I have allows me to use a cheap mini adapter on my guitar cord and I plug into my LINE IN (not MIC IN) on the Imac. Sounds FAT and RICH without any interface at all and NO LATENCY ISSUES. My PC sounds like AZZ that way - I'd have to spend $$$$ to get any decent sound and the latency is terrible too.

Get a Mac - you'll be amazed at what you're missing.
Now running an Eleven Rack with Pro Tools 10.3.3 - it's amazing and I'm having ball with it - worth every penny. PT 10 is tops IMO and the Eleven Rack is a work of art!
Well for the price of the Mac he could have a good PC and interface, and probably a mic.
Quote by fridge_raider
Well for the price of the Mac he could have a good PC and interface, and probably a mic.

I have to agree with this, Macs are good for audio, but not worth it unless you really want a Mac for other stuff too, at the consumer level PCs can do the same things Macs can for less money. Mac Pros can outperform PCs, but they start out at over 2 grand for the bare bones configuration.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Last edited by Kid_Thorazine at Feb 26, 2009,