Please reccomend a few. Nothing involving shred, may include a solo of any instrument, not too hard of a drum part. We play hard rock, classic rock, alternative, progressive, and some punk
My Albums

TALKING LIKE A JERK EXCEPT
YOU ARE AN ACTUAL JERK
AND LIVING PROOF THAT

SOMETIMES FRIENDS ARE MEAN

last.fm
tumblr
if you're playing gigs, you should have original songs.

a lot of venues dislike covers where i am. You can get away with one during a set of 6 songs, but no more than that
My Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Epiphone AJ
Ibanez Strat Copy

Amps:
Orange Tiny Terror Head
Old beaten up Peavey cab
Marshall MG30DFX
Always good to play "Panama" by Van Halen. Did it, and the crowd went freakin' NUTS. Try that one! Oh, and any Alter Bridge song is a good opener.
If you're into it, Rapid Hope Loss by Dashboard Confessional. Me and my band used to use this as our opening track, and it worked.
Gear:
Ibanez SZ320 -> Höfner Analouge Delay -> MXR GT-OD -> Laney GH50L -> T.C.Electronics GMajor -> Line6 4x12 w/ Celestion G12T-75

My Lyrics and Poems

"with golden hair and perfect eyes,

with hollow words and empty lies."
Smells Like Teen Spirit-Nirvana
everyone knows that song and it has a really simple solo too.
In order to live, you must be ready to die

R.I.P. DIO

FUCK JUSTIN BIEBER

Quote by Metallica_AC/DC
a mental asylum called Mike

Quote by Masamune
That's cuz you mad...Mike.

Sorry, had to get my corniness out of the way.
Play a song that the croud can get into for example "Shout" theyll all sing-a-long with "Ya make me wanna Shout", "Hey hey hey OOOO" (after you sing that they respond saying it themselfves) and also the "A little bit lower now" and "a little bit louder now" parts
This thread thus far has been fail. Don't do any of that cliche suggested crap

Open with something powerful, gutsy, and strong, something semi-well known but not over played.

Might I suggest Jailbreak by Thin Lizzy ? A popular but underplayed song. Another good one would be Thunderstruck by AC/DC
If possible open with an original unless you are just getting into a scene
The guy who said "Your own song" is correct.

There is no reason to play more than one cover, let alone let it be your first song. I'd rather listen to a mediocre band that plays thier own songs, than a ****ing really really good band just playing some song I've heard a million times.
The gods you worship are Steel
At the altar of Rock N Roll you kneel
A slave who forever Rocks
Is chained in the Devil's locks
AND SLAIN BY THE BLOODY AXE I WHAIL!
Quote by DeathMask
The guy who said "Your own song" is correct.

There is no reason to play more than one cover, let alone let it be your first song. I'd rather listen to a mediocre band that plays thier own songs, than a ****ing really really good band just playing some song I've heard a million times.

Id rather see a band play a good song, original or cover, than play some below average. Opening with a cover can be a good idea to get people to take notice.

Black Night by Deep Purple? Or Millionare by QOTSA? Id defintly agree with the people who say not to go with somethign thats been done to death or is to cliched.
Take note of This^^^ guy. Unless covers are frowned upon, do one and the suggestions of aq couple of Thin Lizzie numbers is a good one. I'm imagining your set to be what in UK is called pub rock, so you leave the absolute classics for the end (crowd remembers that you were fun and entertaining if you end with stuff the drunks can boogie to.) Keep the prog for mid-set as its not everyone's taste, depending on the venue, of course.
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

All Right Now - Free?

Idk, it just starts and punches the air out of everyone in the room on the first note so yeah.

Schools Out - Alice Cooper can go over well, or No More Mr. Nice Guy.
The Family Guy theme song

Are You Ready: by Creed

or, If you have a female lead singer- Going Under: by Evanescence
I reckon Nightrain - Guns N' Roses would be awesome. Hitting and holding that opening chord would be amazing.
Quote by Dem0nHunter
Party Hard- Andrew W.K.

I hate that man with a fiery passion

Might I just Breakerfall by Pearl Jam
Quote by cakeandpiemofo
Of course I don't wanna go in the woods. There's bears in there.

Quote by Deliriumbassist
Jeff Ament is a sexy sexy beast.

Quote by Karvid
Yes. Chest hair = automatic awesome. Even if you're a woman.
Quote by cuscus97
I reckon Nightrain - Guns N' Roses would be awesome. Hitting and holding that opening chord would be amazing.

Wow, I just thought of that in school today :P

Rocket Queen by them could be good too - it has a sort of atmospheric beginning, then grooving riff, and the last 3 minutes could have an awesome sort of stadium vibe if you get everyone clapping in time to the beat.
Quote by JakdOnCrack
Jump - Van Halen
Crazy Train - Ozzy Osbourne
Welcome Home - Coheed & Cambria
Enter Sandman - Metallica
Dirty Reggae - The Aggrolites
Killing In The Name - Rage Against the Machine
Too Many Puppies - Primus

besides these i would try Paraniod by black sabbath
Hot for teacher by Van Halen
Kryptonite by 3 doors down
master of puppets by metallica
Opening with your own song is best.

For the love of god, do NOT open with Teen Spirit.

Any musicians and music lovers will automatically think 'FAIL'.