I'm deciding whether to get a Phaser or a Flanger? Can you ecplain to me the differences? I mainly play Prog-Metal or Neoclassical stuff and mainly just any metal or sometimes blues/jazz.

I've heard thhe Phase 90 is the best Phaser out there, but what is a good flanger for a reasonable price (>$150)

Thanks in advance
Aint talkin bout love by van halen is phaser, unchained by van halen is flanger. They're two means to end up with a similar result. Try a bunch out and see which you prefer.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
When you think Van Halen tone, that's flanging. It is a type of phasing, but most phasers are associated more with a more pronounced "swirly" sound.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

VOLUME SWELLING OCTAVE MONGER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote by BaffAttack
When you think Van Halen tone, that's flanging. It is a type of phasing, but most phasers are associated more with a more pronounced "swirly" sound.

EVH uses both.
Quote by Kevin Saale
Aint talkin bout love by van halen is phaser, unchained by van halen is flanger. They're two means to end up with a similar result. Try a bunch out and see which you prefer.

Holy crap, Aint Talking Bout Love is phaser? I've always thought that was flange, too. Learn something new everyday.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote by BaffAttack
Holy crap, Aint Talking Bout Love is phaser? I've always thought that was flange, too. Learn something new everyday.

Yeah, so is eruption. Atomic punk is a phaser as well, I believe the first album is pretty much all phaser. Unchained and the cradle will rock are flangers.
Quote by DiSTuRBeD -26-

but what is a good flanger for a reasonable price (>$150)

Thanks in advance

I think you mean <$150
███████████████████████████████████
i was always under the impression that a flanger was like a phaser with a slight chorus effect to it as well, or something like that.

i dunno, i can tell the difference between the two when i hear them, but its extremely hard for me to describe the difference between them.
Quote by wlcm2themachine
Does this rag smell like chloroform to you?

Quote by ChemicalFire
You sir, are a god amongst men

MY GEAR:
...apparently, i have too much. i cant list it without going over the character limit.
Try the marshall regenerator, it has it all and sounds very good!
Why not listen to my songs on my profile?
Quote by Necrotic
a flanger is just a type of phaser. Id go with the phaser

I can't believe that nobody pointed out how wrong this is. A phaser achieves the sound by altering the phase of the signal whereas a flanger adds a a very slightly delayed signal that detunes over time (same principle as chorus, but shorter delay time). I would say for your needs get a phaser. Take a look at the Subdecay Quasar - one of the best phasers out there.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE SINE WAVE SURFER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']Boss pedals may be built like tanks but I would rather buy a cardboard box that is on my side than pay for a tank that is working against me.
Quote by Kevin Saale
Yeah, so is eruption. Atomic punk is a phaser as well, I believe the first album is pretty much all phaser. Unchained and the cradle will rock are flangers.

Well there goes about 5 points from my credibility meter.

That leaves me at about -410 credibility.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote by Kevin Saale

Kev, you know I love ya, but I'm pretty certain that Ain't Talkin bout Love is flanger. There may be some phaser in the dubbed solo (& yes, most of that record's solos had some phaser), but the intro/verse/chorus is subtle flanger on the wet side channel.
The effects on the whole tone are more subtle than most of us get because he was using mixed wet/dry rig. I prefer a phaser tone myself for solos & stuff, because flangers tend to get muddier more easily because of the delayed pitch decay on the one part of the flanger signal (like Dr Pain stated above-they ARE different), & the phaser yields a predictable tone than can be used to your advantage when soloing if you keep time with the sweep of the phaser (that's what I try to do w/ those VH-type solos in my profile), & accent the notes you want to at various points in the sweep/frequency ranges.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard
There's no point apologising for your feet smelling when there's a 300lb gorilla in the room taking a crap on the couch.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2011
Last edited by riffhog at Feb 22, 2009,
Just get both at different times. I guess I would get a flanger first, and then phaser. Phase 90's are indeed great phaser pedals. And I've heard Boss BF-3 and BF-2 flanger pedals are great. I've only tried them one time and I liked it when I did.
Quote by riffhog
Kev, you know I love ya, but I'm pretty certain that Ain't Talkin bout Love is flanger. There may be some phaser in the dubbed solo (& yes, most of that record's solos had some phaser), but the intro/verse/chorus is subtle flanger on the wet side channel.
The effects on the whole tone are more subtle than most of us get because he was using mixed wet/dry rig. I prefer a phaser tone myself for solos & stuff, because flangers tend to get muddier more easily because of the delayed pitch decay on the one part of the flanger signal (like Dr Pain stated above-they ARE different), & the phaser yields a predictable tone than can be used to your advantage when soloing if you keep time with the sweep of the phaser (that's what I try to do w/ those VH-type solos in my profile), & accent the notes you want to at various points in the sweep/frequency ranges.

You're such a VH addict, I love it

I prefer a phaser, more of a nice subtle touch
Quote by patbuck2
Just get both at different times. I guess I would get a flanger first, and then phaser. Phase 90's are indeed great phaser pedals. And I've heard Boss BF-3 and BF-2 flanger pedals are great. I've only tried them one time and I liked it when I did.

Phase 90s are good, as well as Small Stones. The only good boss flanger is the BF-2... the BF-3 is a tone sucking monstrosity.

EDIT: Oh and phaser >>> flanger imo.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Solder fume huffer σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Electronic Audio Experiments
Last edited by stradivari310 at Feb 22, 2009,
Just to set the record straight, EVH uses a phaser ALL of the time.
Even if you can't hear it very well, he has a phaser BEFORE his distortion on literally every song.

Source:http://www.amptone.com/eddievanhalenrig.htm
Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list
Quote by handbanana
wiliscool is just plain dumb
Quote by wiliscool
Just to set the record straight, EVH uses a phaser ALL of the time.
Even if you can't hear it very well, he has a phaser BEFORE his distortion on literally every song.

Source:http://www.amptone.com/eddievanhalenrig.htm

I read that article years ago. He does NOT use a phaser ALL THE TIME.
Just because the phaser was THERE all of the time, does not mean it was ON all of the time. I've been doing VH covers since they came out in 1978, & I seriously doubt there's phaser in most of Ain't Talkin bout Love. I've duplicated the VH tone pretty accurately, (although the Ain't Talkin bout Love clips in my profile were done w/ a 5150 III instead of my main VH setup, a re-amped Mojave Scorpion). If there's any phase on that track (original VH) at all, it's mixed WAYYYYYYY down to the point of being un-noticeable, because I can't hear a phaser there, & on most of the tracks, it's obvious where the phaser is on or off. Listen to it closely, & you'll know what I mean.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard
There's no point apologising for your feet smelling when there's a 300lb gorilla in the room taking a crap on the couch.

Quote by riffhog
Just because the phaser was THERE all of the time, does not mean it was ON all of the time. I've been doing VH covers since they came out in 1978, & I seriously doubt there's phaser in most of Ain't Talkin bout Love. I've duplicated the VH tone pretty accurately, (although the Ain't Talkin bout Love clips in my profile were done w/ a 5150 III instead of my main VH setup, a re-amped Mojave Scorpion). If there's any phase on that track (original VH) at all, it's mixed WAYYYYYYY down to the point of being un-noticeable, because I can't hear a phaser there, & on most of the tracks, it's obvious where the phaser is on or off. Listen to it closely, & you'll know what I mean.

zing!

just to prove, you dont mess with the (EVH) boss.
Quote by Skierinanutshel
zing!

just to prove, you dont mess with the (EVH) boss.

Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard

Huh. I could've sworn. Hrm. Well atomic punk is still a phaser right?

You know what's strange? In the manual for the EVH phase 90 it has a setting for aint talkin bout love that works very well. It just goes to show, flanger and phaser are very similar, at least to me.
Quote by riffhog

I ain't arguin with that

What I took away from reading it was exactly what you said, that is is VERY subtle, and I can't hear it most of the time anyways.
Quote by handbanana
phaser first man. so much more of a useful effect. its really good for lead passages if you can get one with a subtle notch effect. mxr evh phase 90 is the way to go in my opinion. it has a script logo function for more subtle 70's phasing, which is great for lead passages, and a block logo in your face phase sound. i love mine. if you can get a script logo phase 90, or a boss ph1 phaser these are also good. i have an original 1979 japanese made PH1 and it just adds such a nice subtle phase to lead passages with neck pickups.

i always had a flanger as a party trick effect, which is nice, but i would definitely go with a phaser if i had a choice. love the mxr evh flanger as well.
A Phaser is a swirly effect. A Flanger is more of a chugging effect.

To get off EVH as an example. Listen to the intro to Joker and the Thief by Wolfmother. He turns on a phaser during that.
Listen to the rhythm guitar in Are you gonna go my way? by Lenny Kravitz, before the guitar solo. It has a flanger on there.

Pretty easy huh?

You must note though, MXR phasers and flangers are made to sink into your tone, not take the whole spotlight. So, while you might like the sound of Tom Morello's phaser when they play the intro to Killing in the Name live, thats not what the MXR Phase 90 will give. Phase 90 is more of a swirly swishy sound (technical, aren't I?). So you can leave it on for a rock song and it wont completely distract from your playing.

I have both the MXR Flanger and the EVH Phase 90. I love them both. If you can get your hands on both....DO IT.

I agree that getting the EVH Phase 90 isn't worth it. I bought mine because it was the cheapest at the time and I adore EVH's paint work.
But the EVH Button, doesn't do much. So its just the paint job and blue LED light that your paying for =]

Hope that helps.....or made sense
"if i were you I wouldn't fiddle with the feet etc. as that nullifies warranty but yeh, just get up in digitech's grill and demand they make you a custom whammy that is purple and gold and fires rockets when you bend +2 octaves"
Quote by wiliscool
I ain't arguin with that

What I took away from reading it was exactly what you said, that is is VERY subtle, and I can't hear it most of the time anyways.

Yeah, the phaser could be there on Ain't Talkin bout Love, but I personally can't hear it. The flanger is also fairly subtle, but can be easily identified. That's part of the beauty of wet/dry rigs. You can manipulate FX to do exactly the touches you want & blend everything to perfection. I have an old MXR flanger that gets a bit noisy on its own, but sounds pretty good in the wet/dry setup. I use a new EVH Phase 90 also, always set to the script setting at the 9:00 position. I find the phase effect a bit too dramatic for for my taste, but it gives a good VH feel, & has one of the best sounds available.

Kevin-I never even read the Phase 90 manual. I know EVH almost always had the thing set around the 9:00 position, so I just set it there & left it !
I still think the effect would be too dramatic for Ain't Talkin bout Love in most people's rigs though, but that's just me .

To the TS- I hope some of these suggestions help. Good luck!
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard

Last edited by riffhog at Feb 23, 2009,
Quote by riffhog

DAMN! i thought i was a van halen fan, and i was just put to SHAME!

you sir, have my undying respect!
Quote by wlcm2themachine
Does this rag smell like chloroform to you?

Quote by ChemicalFire
You sir, are a god amongst men

MY GEAR:
...apparently, i have too much. i cant list it without going over the character limit.
Well then I just leave this here.
Quote by handbanana