Im gonna buy an elec guitar soon and just wanted to know what people out there used to teach them selves bascis n what not. im sure this sounds like a newb question. thanks
I used a Strat copy.

I didn't get to pick it out, it was a hand-me-down.

It worked fine enough for me, but I would have prefered an Epiphone SG Special.
Quote by user_nameless
You can go ahead and sponge my bob.

/notfunnyatalljoke.

Quote by halo43
When you date a vegetarian, you're the only meat they'll ever eat.
Got to love the unhelpful jerks on forums.

Personally my Dad just bought me a small little "beginners bundle" with a starter amp, a Fender Starcaster, and a music book (which I went to UG and went through their lessons because I couldn't stand reading sheet music back then....and most of the tabs+lessons here use tabs)

I still use that guitar every now and then, when I'm not using my grandpa's Kramer Classic II...(aka; when I feel like bringing my guitar to school) but now I have my Yamaha Acoustic so I can bring that instead.

EDIT:

@Birchall

Hmm... I guess you wouldn't expect a place like Ultimate-Guitar to know anything about starting guitars. I mean... afterall... we were all born like godlike guitarists.

Please add me if as a friend I helped! (I like to think I'm a friendly person)
Last edited by Invokke_Havokk at Feb 22, 2009,
Well i was asking what people use because there are so many things out there on the internet i wanted to know the best people used that was the most helpful but thanks for telling me to use google cause i would of never have figured that one out....
And im not asking what kinda gear to get i already decided what i wanted to get that works with my budget, thanks for the tips on that tho
Last edited by Aldoviz at Feb 22, 2009,
Also, nearly any guitar will do. But you're just a beginner and many beginners don't end up "sticking with it" so why go waste money on a $1150 guitar that you may play 4 months and give up on?

My Dad got me a $175 kit that came with the amp, book, guitar, and this other thing I forget....that way if I lost interest, it wouldn't have been a huge dent in the wallet, because we could always sell the guitar/amp to someone, and make at least 1/3 back.

Please add me if as a friend I helped! (I like to think I'm a friendly person)
I bought an Austin 733 with a bass/guitar amp (it was on special), and I used this site to teach me a few things. But most of my learning came from learning songs that challenged me.
I'm that dude with the fro.
Quote by angus fan16
Long story short, a whale flew out of the ocean, landed next to me and shot like a wall of water straight into my face.
my first guitar was a Peavey Raptor Plus EXP. its cheap (got mine for $150) and it plays great. been playing 2 n a half yrs and i still use it alot
Hmm, well I learned from both my Guild Mark II Vintage '69 (it's beaten up, but it sounds beautiful) and a Squier Stratocaster (which I still have and is a really good guitar surprisingly from Squier).

To learn the basics, I didn't use any materials, only my ear. Purely self-taught. I have learned other stringed instruments before and seen people play guitar, so I already knew how it worked for the most part. I would just listen to music and try to figure it out on the guitar. I got from notes to power chords, to find out whole chords and then to discover certain licks that sounded good in progression, and slowly over about 4 years of my 5, I already knew how to basically play any rhythm part and I had figured out the pattern of 12 bar blues. Over the last year I focused more on learning how to solo and by using a little bit of tab, I believe I've become a very long way since then and am actually treated as one of the best guitarists in my school that didn't take lessons
My Gear:
Guitars:
Paul Reed Smith Custom 24 in Charcoal Burst

Amps:
ENGL Powerball I V2

Pedals:
Ibanez Jemini
Vintage '70s Thomas Organ Crybaby Wah
Boss DD-6
Quote by Aldoviz
Im gonna buy an elec guitar soon and just wanted to know what people out there used to teach them selves bascis n what not. im sure this sounds like a newb question. thanks

My first guitar was a Mexican-made Squier Strat. I taught myself primarily using two books, The Guitarists Handbook and The Complete Guitarist.
Hi, I'm Peter
My first guitar was an Epiphone G310. Kind of ironic considering that it can't do any of the genres I listen to very well, but it was tolerable.
Quote by Sopheydood
My first guitar was an Epiphone G310. Kind of ironic considering that it can't do any of the genres I listen to very well, but it was tolerable.

That was my 2nd guitar. I generally liked it.
Hi, I'm Peter
Somthing called a starmaker, not suprisingly it looked like a strat.

But in terms of learning basic theory? I think UG is a great place to start, it's free and theres alot of info to be found.
Tabbs, lessons, forums...
You can't go wrong mate.

Quote by Karl Pilkington
Jellyfish are 97% water or something, so how much are they doing? Just give them another 3% and make them water. It's more useful."
wow now thats some advice i was looking for thanks for all the input folks.

It worked fine enough for me, but I would have prefered an Epiphone SG Special.

Dont ever say that.....EVER
1987 Ibanez Jem 777LNG #124
2012 Herc Fede PMC Jem
1987 Ibanez RG550 Road Flare Red-R
Marshall JCM-1 W/Lead 12 Cab.
Wampler, Ibanez, MXR, Morley Pedals
Last edited by BlackIce87 at Feb 22, 2009,
Personally, I'd get a Squier Affinity Fat Strat and a Peavy Vypyr 15 watt amp.
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
I bought an Ibanez Jumpstart pack. Came with the basic stuff and an instructional DVD with Paul Gilbert. It's enough to get you started. For self teaching stuff, get the Chord Wheel. That little item owns. It will have you writing your own stuff in no time.
Quote by Birchall17
I used a site called www.google.com and also, you wouldn't expect it from the name www.ultimate-guitar.com

Don't be such a dick, I suggest you read the rules of this section before posting any more smart arse remarks, may I draw your attention to this in particular, copied and pasted from the forum rules thread, especialy the bit that say's 'this is a newbie forum'.

No Flaming
- Be nice to each other. We will not tolerate excessive name calling or hateful comments directed towards other users, bands, moderators or anyone else. - Just remember, this is a newbie forum. Everyone began playing guitar once, and what may seem like a simple question to you, may not be to the thread starter.
I wish I had tallent and ability.

Squier Vintage Modified Strat, Black with laquered 70s neck
Farida FLP-26
Vox VT20+
Ampkit for iPod
Jamvox (not impressed)
Quote by Taxivader
Hi Aldoviz,

I found www.justinguitar.com really helpful for teaching the basics (and beyond).

Enjoy it & practise often

Justinguitar is very good and free.

Farida FLP-26
Vox VT20+
Ampkit for iPod
Jamvox (not impressed)
Quote by Invokke_Havokk
Got to love the unhelpful jerks on forums.

Personally my Dad just bought me a small little "beginners bundle" with a starter amp, a Fender Starcaster, and a music book (which I went to UG and went through their lessons because I couldn't stand reading sheet music back then....and most of the tabs+lessons here use tabs)

I still use that guitar every now and then, when I'm not using my grandpa's Kramer Classic II...(aka; when I feel like bringing my guitar to school) but now I have my Yamaha Acoustic so I can bring that instead.

EDIT:

@Birchall

Hmm... I guess you wouldn't expect a place like Ultimate-Guitar to know anything about starting guitars. I mean... afterall... we were all born like godlike guitarists.

I was being serious, I DID use those sites to learn guitar, I just threw in some sarcasm just because I could.
Main Gear:

ESP Eclipse CTM I
Dean 'Shards' Razorback
Chapman Guitars ML-1
Ibanez AEL40SE Acoustic
Blackstar HT-5 Mini Stack
EHX Metal Muff
EHX Small Clone
Quote by Andy Jarvis
Don't be such a dick, I suggest you read the rules of this section before posting any more smart arse remarks, may I draw your attention to this in particular, copied and pasted from the forum rules thread, especialy the bit that say's 'this is a newbie forum'.

No Flaming
- Be nice to each other. We will not tolerate excessive name calling or hateful comments directed towards other users, bands, moderators or anyone else. - Just remember, this is a newbie forum. Everyone began playing guitar once, and what may seem like a simple question to you, may not be to the thread starter.

This I love unhelpful people on forums, if you spent as much time insulting the TS as you did helping this would be a much better topic

Anyway TS I was self taught for about a year and a half but I got stuck so I started taking lessons and my playing has been improving a lot quicker ever since. When I was self taught though I used a dvd called rock method I cant remember which but it was very infomative and helped alot. He goes through like basic chords and rhytms first then later teaches some basic riffs and at the end a full rhytm and lead you can use.
Ibanez RG7321
Jackson Randy Rhoads V with Floyd Rose
Peavey Valveking 112
Digitech RP70 Guitar Processor
Quote by Lethal Dosage
This I love unhelpful people on forums, if you spent as much time insulting the TS as you did helping this would be a much better topic

Why?
I didn't come on a forum and demand that people tell me what websites to go to in order to "teach myself" the guitar. Like Birchall said, that's exactly what I used to learn.
Google, and Youtube.
Google led me here and to many other useful sites, and all at the click of a button.
People are just lazy, and you people just enable that vice.
BTW, how was my (or Birchall's) post flaming? Because we are sarcastic? That is a common tool of the English language, and if you don't like it, then good luck to you.
In my opinion, this thread is no more than spam. A simple search on UG forums, will yield many similar threads, and a search on google, will provide many useful resources, and also many crappy ones. You can be the judge of which is which yourself.
███████████████████████████████████
Last edited by tona_107 at Feb 24, 2009,
Quote by tona_107
Why?
I didn't come on a forum and demand that people tell me what websites to go to in order to "teach myself" the guitar. Like Birchall said, that's exactly what I used to learn.
Google, and Youtube.
Google led me here and to many other useful sites, and all at the click of a button.
People are just lazy, and you people just enable that vice.
BTW, how was my (or Birchall's) post flaming? Because we are sarcastic? That is a common tool of the English language, and if you don't like it, then good luck to you.
In my opinion, this thread is no more than spam. A simple search on UG forums, will yield many similar threads, and a search on google, will provide many useful resources, and also many crappy ones. You can be the judge of which is which yourself.

This is a newbie forum, regardless of whether or not you feel the thread is justified, there is no need for sarcasm, if you feel he subject has been covered before then post a link to that thread and mark this a 'Reported' it's not rocket science,the final decision on whether the tread is relevant or not lies with the moderators. using a newbies mistake as an excuse to be sarcastic is nothing short of abusive behaviour, did you not make mistakes when you first joined a forum.

Farida FLP-26
Vox VT20+
Ampkit for iPod
Jamvox (not impressed)
Quote by Andy Jarvis
This is a newbie forum, regardless of whether or not you feel the thread is justified, there is no need for sarcasm, if you feel he subject has been covered before then post a link to that thread and mark this a 'Reported' it's not rocket science,the final decision on whether the tread is relevant or not lies with the moderators. using a newbies mistake as an excuse to be sarcastic is nothing short of abusive behaviour, did you not make mistakes when you first joined a forum.

I'm sure I did, and I'm sure this is how I learned, by people telling me I made a mistake, not by people sitting back and pretending like they're following forum rules. Misinformation is abuse. Sarcasm is not. It is a literary form of ironic speech used to make a point.
I also feel that you insulting my intelligence by regarding it as "not rocket science" abuse. The mod's don't need to be bothered AGAIN, every time some dolt makes a thread that has been covered repeatedly over the history of UG forums.
I wish I had "Tallent" too.
Reported.
Well I basically looked up UG tabs and scales to keep myself busy. If you want to learn alot more, it's probably best for an instructor ( I learned most from that way).
Quote by tona_107
Reported.

TBH, you're wrong, andy_jarvis is right.
It doesnt matter how many times different people ask similar questions, each question is different to the person posting it.

Your "sarcasm" posts didnt help at all.
So if your not going to post an actual link to a real learning resource then leave.

Comprende?
Been away, am back
Quote by Logz
TBH, you're wrong, andy_jarvis is right.
It doesnt matter how many times different people ask similar questions, each question is different to the person posting it.

Your "sarcasm" posts didnt help at all.
So if your not going to post an actual link to a real learning resource then leave.

Comprende?

I honestly think that www.youtube.com is a great learning resource...that's why I provided it. You can find lessons, and covers, and plenty of other things that may be of use to beginners and experts alike.
I don't want to recommend you a particular guitar type.
What I will recommend for you is to go to your local music store and just try out the guitars in your price range.
Even if you don't know how to play one, try it out as if you were going to play it.
Get hold of it, sit down with it and see if it's the correct weight and size that makes you feel comfortable.
I started playing guitar with a Fender Stratocaster but if I would have experimented like this a bit more with different guitars, I'm pretty sure I would have gone with something else like one of those Jackson Randy Rhoads or King V guitars.