any suggestions for a rock blues and maybe metal on Wednesday player, im looking for a nice solid state to run my pedals through now i have a valve junior but i dont really like it..
Roland JC120.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE SINE WAVE SURFER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']Boss pedals may be built like tanks but I would rather buy a cardboard box that is on my side than pay for a tank that is working against me.
Are you basing the decision to go solid state solely on the sound of your Valve Junior? If so, I'd recommend checking out other tube amps in the same price range as the only decent solid states you'll get.

Tube amps to check out:

Peavey Classic 30
Fender Blues Junior
Orange Tiny Terror
Vox AC15

Solid states that take pedals well, that I like:

Roland Jazz Chorus
Sunn Beta Lead

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE ARCHITECT σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

drone/doom/post-metal: http://theygrieve.bandcamp.com
Quote by Dr.Pain-MD
Roland JC120.

+1

budget?
I'm putting my GAS on hold
for a couple months in order to pimp my ride.

Don't judge me.
Just buy a better tube amp.
Main Gear:

ESP Eclipse CTM I
Dean 'Shards' Razorback
Chapman Guitars ML-1
Ibanez AEL40SE Acoustic
Blackstar HT-5 Mini Stack
EHX Metal Muff
EHX Small Clone
Quote by greennblue10
Get a better tube amp. Most solid states are horrible.

jesus, check the bandwagoning at the door.

you obviously have no experience with a JC or Beta Lead. Better than many tube amps, IMO.

Don't judge me.
Quote by theoreticmusic
jesus, check the bandwagoning at the door.

you obviously have no experience with a JC or Beta Lead. Better than many tube amps, IMO.

This. Sunns are godly amplifiers. There is a local band here where both guitarists use Sunn amps (not sure of the models) and they sound gorgeous.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE SINE WAVE SURFER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']Boss pedals may be built like tanks but I would rather buy a cardboard box that is on my side than pay for a tank that is working against me.
check out the kustom double barrel. 30w 2x12 and a nice clean tone. Takes pedals like a champ and you can eq it it get a very warm sound due to the big speakers.
The Kustom Quad Jr has a wonderful clean channel that, in my personal opinion, rivals a jc120. Plus the Kustom is way cheaper. Had a quad100 in high school and didn't have any problems with it.
Quote by Birchall17
Just buy a better tube amp.

coming from a guy that has a MG
i love the way the valve jr sounds with pedals.. if you need more tone tweaking options.. you could always try an EQ pedal to go along with whatever pedals you're using.
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
haha alot of hostility so early in the thread

anyways ts...i d say if you REALLY want a solid state amp....roland jc120.

BUT no matter what your motivation for tone, tube will always be the "safer" bet....for cleans you cant really beat the roland jc120 but i dont really get what you mean by pedals...if you want to use nice bootique od pedals, you wont get anything out of a solid state....if all your pedals are fx pedals i dont really see WHY you d want a solid state as they d do the exact same thing on a tube amp....:S if its metal distortion pedals...you d be better of selling your pedals and your amp and buy a hi gain tube amp.

so yeah either elaborate on what you re looking for otherwise you wont get much help from here.
Using pedals to boost the signal and push the amp is a valid point with amps where the preamp will distort the signal when the level is high enough.

The point is moot with a JC-120 though. Boosting the signal level will only make it louder. The preamp in the JC-120 simply isn't designed to distort the signal (although there is a built-in distortion circuit in channel 2, but nobody in their right mind uses that anyway).

If you want a pedal to create a distorted sound, then the JC-120 is great, because it will amplify the signal without "coloring" the signal. This is the crux of "JC-120 takes pedals really well". It will amplify whatever signal you give it and REPLICATE it. If you depend on coloration of your signal or distortion from a certain type of preamp, then surely your pedal will sound different.
Martin D-15
Gibson LP Std. Faded HB
Fender MIA HWY1 Strat, 3 color SB, RW fretboard
BOSS GT-10
Roland JC-120
Honestly it depends on how much you want to spend. Are you wanting a practice sized amp like a peavey bandit which would work well? Or are you wanting a bigger amp? Peavey classic is a great choice if you will go tube. Honestly a tube amp is going to sound better than most solid states you are going to play. Although there are solid states that sound good I just can't get into them. Honestly it just can't match the warmth of tubes no matter how good it is. And yes I've played on vetta's and plenty of high end solid state amps and they still sound like toys to me.

And people are suggesting the vetta but really I don't think the vetta is the best amp to take pedals. Modeling amps never take pedals as well as others although it can work. Theres no real reason to use pedals on them.

I'd get a tube 60 watt vypyr. You won't need pedals for one because it has virtually every stompbox and rack effect you'd want. You'll be able to play it at very low volumes and sound great or turn it up and sound great. You'll get that warmth from the tube power section. Theres one tube in the pre amp section. But most of us fall in love with tube amps due to the power section. That's what gives it the loud warm sound.
I agree with this gentleman. It's so wonderful to push a power section hard and hear the wonderful sparkle that comes out of it!
Quote by hcsn2008

And people are suggesting the vetta but really I don't think the vetta is the best amp to take pedals. Modeling amps never take pedals as well as others although it can work. Theres no real reason to use pedals on them.

+1

Don't judge me.
Roland JC120 can't be beat.
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
*fellow LEO feel free to give a shout out