I started my first band several months ago, and things have gone great. We've covered quite a few songs, and have a few originals. We've gigged twice, and recently lined up alot more. But with this blessing comes a problem: I don't have a decent rig, and have needed to upgrade for awhile. This means amp, guitar/s, and pedal.

The rig needs to be:
Relatively inexpensive
Big enough for a 100-person gig, but not much bigger
Suited for Alternative, Indie, Punk Rock, Pop Punk, and Pop

I currently have:
Epiphone: LP-100
Ibanez: AEL10E
Yamaha: FG730S
Line 6: Spider III 75W
Kay: Archkraft

Guitar Requirements:
Either a humbucker or P-90 in the bridge
Either a hardtail or tune-o-matic/stop tail bridge
Relatively light
Budget: $300

Amp Requirements:
Needs to be a combo
Built in gain, distortion, and reverb
Decent cleans
Footswitch capability
Budget: $350

Pedals:
Chorus
Delay
Tuner
Budget: $250 total

I'm looking to spend as little as possible without buying complete crap.
If you could make a recommendation or tell me my current gear would suffice in one category or all of them, I would greatly appreciate it.
Thanks,
Jeremy

P.S. - Please don't bash the Spider. I know it sucks.
'64 Fender Telecaster
'08 Epiphone Prophecy EM-2
'06 Epiphone Les Paul-100
'08 Squier Strat Mini
'03 Ibanez AEG10
'90 Yamaha FG730S
'31 Kay Archkraft
Instead of spending a crapload of money on pedals, why don't you get a good modeling amp such as a Peavey Vypyr or a Roland Cube? Then, use the extra money you save on that and get a better guitar.
I say spend most of your budget on an amp and a pedal or two. Than worry about the guitar later when you have more money. Because all that budget will get you is mediocre equipment that you will be upgrading again fairly soon.
Originally posted by arrrgg
When my grandpa comes over to visit, after his shower, he walks around naked to dry off
i'd put all of your budget towards your amp....im not totally familair with the LP100, but usually epi's can get through.
look for a used mesa boogie f-series combo perhaps? quite versatile, i know a guy who used one for alt, it sounds great for him
EDIT; viper is probably an awesome idea too.
Paul Reed Smith CE22
Fender Spalted Maple HH Tele
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Korg Pitchblack
Boss GE-8 Graphic EQ
Dunlop ZW Wah
BBE Two Timer
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV Combo
Mesa/Boogie Rectifier 212

www.myspace.com/shapesofgrey
Last edited by wyldeshredder at Feb 22, 2009,
Alright, first off I know me and my fellow GG&A lurkers are going to tell you put most of the money that you have lined up towards an amp? Do you need the chorus and delay right now? If not, save up for them later. What about guitar? If the one you have now will suffice until you can save later, then by all means invest almost entirely in an amp.

Ok you have about $900 of gear lined up. Take out like $100 for a tuner because frankly, you will need that more than anything after the guitar and amp.

Down to $800. I know a lot of people would recommend the Peavey Classic and they are great amps for what you need. The Crate V and Palomino series would be better if you don't mind "cheaping out" a little. They are great for the price, but with a budget of $800 you can do better. Also look used!!! There have been quite a few Marshall JCM900s on ebay and craigslist (look locally of course) for as low as $400 by me and up to $650.

There is also the option of getting a decent clean amp like Fender HRD and running dirt pedals through it like the Big Muff and what not.

That is all I can really think of right now, but if I think of anything else I'll post.

Oh! And for decent guitars on a budget, look here http://www.rondomusic.com/electricguitar.html from the ~$200ish range and up...
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
Could you push your budget by selling some the gear you have how?

I don't know much about guitars in that range, but I think the 100 level Epiphones are the cheapest ones right? From what I've played (if I was right on that) they have tuning issues. Maybe a higher level Epiphone Les Paul would do you well for an electric, the acoustics you have will be alright though, certainly. But if you're happy with the epi and you feel it gets good enough tone, then by all means stick with it, and apply that 300 into your amp.

Amps? If you sold the spider you could maybe bring yourself up to 500 on your amp and 300 for pedals, in which case for the amp... well. At 500 maybe look at some used traynors? they're pretty good and versatile amps. (You can find them floating around here for as low as 400 CAD sometimes, mind you, maybe more now, that was a few months ago) If you were happy with your guitars though, and wanted to apply that money to an amp too, then you'd be looking at 800, which if you're willing to go used, gets you a heck of a lot of amp, but I'll let other people get into that, I still don't know tonnes on amps. But I stand by the reccomendation of a traynor.

Pedals:
Tuner: Korg Pitchblack
Chorus: Small Clone perhaps?
Delay: A boss digital delay would be a descent bet, or the MXR Carbon Copy if you wanted more of an analog sound. Both are good pedals

Also, thanks for all the details you included in your post. It was pretty easy to look at what you had, and what you needed.
I'm Joel. I play guitar. I am a student. I look at the cost of tuition, not in a dollar value, but in the guitars I'm sacrificing now, to be able to buy later.
I reckon you should keep the epiphone and maybe upgrade the pickups, unless you like the stock ones. Sell one of the acoustics because i think you can get a fair amount of cash for that. Then get a Vox Valvetronix - i reckon the 50 watt version (I have played one and they are great). Personally i wouldn't get a chorus pedal and i'd get a Boss DD-3 delay. Then finally get a Korg pitchblack tuner and a Distortion/overdrive for an extra tone.
Quote by ch0
I once trapped my left testicle in a vice. I have no left testicle.
I would look into a Vox AD60vtx, it has a pre-amp in it, partial tubes. You can get one of them for around 200-250 used. And then look into the Vox Pedal Board (I think its called Tonelab or something I am not to sure) this is totally optional, but is really nifty to have. These are great amps. I have one, I use it as a back up for my Vibrolux Reverb. It does everything from Metal to blues. It has all the effects you would ever want, a built in tuner, and, its cheap. Like everyone else said I would stick with the guitar if it gives out a good sound. These are just my opinions. Good Luck.

*Edit*
Here are some of the specs

AMP MODELS: 16 types
EFFECTS: 21 types (Drive: 10 types, Modulation: 5 types, Delay: 3 types, Reverb: 3 types)
PROGRAMS: 32 (8 Bank x 4 Channel)
IN/OUTPUTS: 2 x Guitar Input (High, Low), Loop Return, 1 x Headphone, Line Out, External
Speaker Out 1 x Foot Controller
SPEAKER: 1x12 Celestion NeoDog driver
POWER OUTPUT: 60W RMS@8ohm
TUNER: Auto Chromatic Tuner [Measurement range: 27.5 Hz-2,093 Hz (A0-C7), Calib. A=438-445 Hz]
DIMENSIONS: 530(W) x 267(D) x 559(H) mm /20.87(W) x 10.51(D) x 22(H)
WEIGHT: 19.6kg / 43.21lbs
OPTIONS: VC-4 & VC-12 VOX FOOT CONTROLLER
Last edited by WheelsofFire at Mar 2, 2009,