Okay, so I haven't found out what to do for the city-wide Science Fair that our school forces us to go into.
I thought about doing something along the lines of making ear plugs that enhance clarity with some kind of passive built-in 1 band EQ, but then I'm just making a hearing aid/in-ear monitor type thing.
And I doubt there would be some sort of rubbery material that increases clarity on its on that I could make these out of.
So on that note, I need something to research, experiment, or invent to do with hearing protection, ears, signal processing, guitar-related effects, etc.
(If you can think of something cool outside those areas then throw it out there too)

It'd be nice if it'd be something crazy original so I could win a hundred or two to
go towards guitar stuff.

Anyone have any ideas?

E-cookies and cool points to all who contribute.
100w Peavey Valveking Head
Mesa Rectifier 4x12 Standard Cab
Ibanez RG 321
Boss DD-7
iSP Decimator x2
BBE Boosta Grande
Modded Crybaby
MXR Blue Box
Numark Power Conditioner
Korg DTR-1000
Last edited by Faux~Affliction at Feb 22, 2009,
Quote by Faux~Affliction

E-cookies and cool points to all who contribute

We deserve dat cold hard cash if we help you win.
Goodness gracious me!
Quote by Bizarro
We deserve dat cold hard cash if we help you win.

Deal.
Ibanez RG 321
Boss DD-7
iSP Decimator x2
BBE Boosta Grande
Modded Crybaby
MXR Blue Box
Numark Power Conditioner
Korg DTR-1000
the hearing aid industry has been spending decades trying to do what you are doing, they haven't had a lot of success, I suppose you could design a chip that blocks out white noise, but it would be very difficult to do that without blocking everything else out as well.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Well, there already exists white noise emitters which create 'anti-wave' of a particular sound, but it's mainly used in places where the sound is consitent and the db level can harm hearing.
I'm that dude with the fro.
Quote by angus fan16
Long story short, a whale flew out of the ocean, landed next to me and shot like a wall of water straight into my face.
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
the hearing aid industry has been spending decades trying to do what you are doing, they haven't had a lot of success, I suppose you could design a chip that blocks out white noise, but it would be very difficult to do that without blocking everything else out as well.

Hm, I thought it'd be relatively easy to do, I just thought that had already been done.
And as for the white noise chip, I could just figure out how noise suppressing pedals work and do it from there.
I mean it could end up being a huge 'prototype' of the real thing that would barely fit in your hands, let alone your ear, but it'd still work for the fair.

What I'm thinking is (as a visual for how it'd work)
Microphone > 1-2 band passive EQ > (And/or) Noise suppressor > speaker

And for the EQ, I could find out what frequencies specifically are linked to clarity (mids?) and make a tiny EQ to boost them slightly.
Ibanez RG 321
Boss DD-7
iSP Decimator x2
BBE Boosta Grande
Modded Crybaby
MXR Blue Box
Numark Power Conditioner
Korg DTR-1000
Quote by Faux~Affliction
Hm, I thought it'd be relatively easy to do, I just thought that had already been done.
And as for the white noise chip, I could just figure out how noise suppressing pedals work and do it from there.
I mean it could end up being a huge 'prototype' of the real thing that would barely fit in your hands, let alone your ear, but it'd still work for the fair.

What I'm thinking is (as a visual for how it'd work)
Microphone > 1-2 band passive EQ > (And/or) Noise suppressor > speaker

And for the EQ, I could find out what frequencies specifically are linked to clarity (mids?) and make a tiny EQ to boost them slightly.

the problem is that white noise is all audible frequencies over an even volume level, the trick is to cancel that out without cancelling out other things. A normal noise supressor wouldn't be practical because it would kill all sounds under a certain volume, and the passive EQ would block/reduce certain frequencies.

There aren't really any frequencies linked to clarity really, whats important is even order harmonics and not having two sounds of the same frequency overlap.

Last.fm
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
the problem is that white noise is all audible frequencies over an even volume level, the trick is to cancel that out without cancelling out other things. A normal noise supressor wouldn't be practical because it would kill all sounds under a certain volume, and the passive EQ would block/reduce certain frequencies.

There aren't really any frequencies linked to clarity really, whats important is even order harmonics and not having two sounds of the same frequency overlap.

Agh, yeah this is kinda why I ditched the idea, I ran into alot of problems.
If those damn Hear-O's/musician earplugs hadn't been invented I could make something like that, that don't cut lows and highs like generic orange earplugs do.
Any other ideas? Making earplugs that reduce more than the 15-20 dB that mostly every earplug does, something to do with the idea that "over the ear headphones protect your ears better because they stop the bones around your ear from vibrating"
etc.?
Ibanez RG 321
Boss DD-7
iSP Decimator x2
BBE Boosta Grande
Modded Crybaby
MXR Blue Box
Numark Power Conditioner
Korg DTR-1000
you could try to develop active filtering software to filter out odd order harmonics, if you could figure out a way to miniturize that no only would you win your sience fair thing but you'd become pretty well off from selling to a pro audio company.

Last.fm
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
you could try to develop active filtering software to filter out odd order harmonics, if you could figure out a way to miniturize that no only would you win your sience fair thing but you'd become pretty well off from selling to a pro audio company.

To develop software I'd have to spend alot of time + money on programs though amiright?
Do you mind if you briefly explained the odd order harmonics though?
I understand that harmonics are ordered multiples of frequencies, so an odd
order would be?
Any way I could do a really basic form of all that?
I've got 2-3 months, and a maximum of 40 dollars to spend on materials.

Also, LOL at ThyCosmic ;D
Ibanez RG 321
Boss DD-7
iSP Decimator x2
BBE Boosta Grande
Modded Crybaby
MXR Blue Box
Numark Power Conditioner
Korg DTR-1000
Last edited by Faux~Affliction at Feb 22, 2009,
Apologetic bump.
Ibanez RG 321
Boss DD-7
iSP Decimator x2
BBE Boosta Grande
Modded Crybaby
MXR Blue Box
Numark Power Conditioner
Korg DTR-1000
I am sorry to tell you this, but you are waaay in over your head with this. Make a hamster run a maze or something.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE SINE WAVE SURFER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']Boss pedals may be built like tanks but I would rather buy a cardboard box that is on my side than pay for a tank that is working against me.
Quote by Faux~Affliction
To develop software I'd have to spend alot of time + money on programs though amiright?
Do you mind if you briefly explained the odd order harmonics though?
I understand that harmonics are ordered multiples of frequencies, so an odd
order would be?
Any way I could do a really basic form of all that?
I've got 2-3 months, and a maximum of 40 dollars to spend on materials.

Also, LOL at ThyCosmic ;D

basically they are harmonics that cause dissonance.

Last.fm