Well, I was surprised to find there was no Barenaked Ladies thread when I searched.

So, I'll start one!

My favorite song.......there are too many! As of right now, my favorite album is "Maybe You Should Drive".

Anyone else want to discuss all that which is the Barenaked Ladies?

http://www.youtube.com/user/bnlmusic
Last edited by Skierinanutshel at Feb 22, 2009,
The Barenaked Ladies were my first favorite band, and their greatest hits was the first CD i bought when I was a kid. I love them.
I think my current fav BNL song would be a toss up between "What a Good Boy", "Alternative Girlfriend" and "It's Only Me (The Wizard of Magicland)".
Quote by TheAmericanRuse
The Barenaked Ladies were my first favorite band, and their greatest hits was the first CD i bought when I was a kid. I love them.
I think my current fav BNL song would be a toss up between "What a Good Boy", "Alternative Girlfriend" and "It's Only Me (The Wizard of Magicland)".

and we all know what that song is about
I knew them before they were famous. Back then they got a gig at Toronto's city hall and people were protesting their name, they got in the news and were soon famous.
The Ladies are one of the many Canadian bands I would buy a "greatest hits" compilation, but I'm not interested enough in them to really make an effort to track down the rest of their work. They're a solid band, but a bit schticky for my tastes. Still do covers of their work with the band, though, because people can't get enough of 'em.
BnL were really good live.

Like, the concept of a sit down concert is not something I'm fond of but they made it work.

Steven had lots to do with that.
My old manager used to play their CDs all the time. What those guys would do with a million dollars is etched on my mind forever...
Quote by WithoutPurpose
And now this thread is kind of moot, because the band is no more. Sad, really; but I guess nothing gold can stay.

also according to the bands website ( www.bnlmusic.com ), kev, ed, tyler, and jim are still recording and touring.....so not a technical break up, just steve is going solo (and also to do some acting i believe). i'm hoping they dont bring anyone new in, it just wont feel the same.
Quote by Skierinanutshel
also according to the bands website ( www.bnlmusic.com ), kev, ed, tyler, and jim are still recording and touring.....so not a technical break up, just steve is going solo (and also to do some acting i believe). i'm hoping they dont bring anyone new in, it just wont feel the same.

Agreed; BNL is one of those bands that just won't be the same band we've been listening to for the last 20 years if they change the lineup at all, especially if they replace one of the keynote singers/songwriters. I would actually be happier if the band hung up the towel at this point, rather than trying to continue on in a new incarnation. It's been the death knell of a lot of bands in the past, and I'd rather see these guys go out with a bang than a whimper.
I have to say, I was raised up on them, so I can't help but love them.
They are a pretty good band though.
it's all just coming back
it's all coming back

it's all coming back to me
Quote by WithoutPurpose
Agreed; BNL is one of those bands that just won't be the same band we've been listening to for the last 20 years if they change the lineup at all, especially if they replace one of the keynote singers/songwriters. I would actually be happier if the band hung up the towel at this point, rather than trying to continue on in a new incarnation. It's been the death knell of a lot of bands in the past, and I'd rather see these guys go out with a bang than a whimper.

I agree, I think they should move on under a different name. To me, they are just one of those bands where the two singers/songwriters are the ones who really make this band what they are. Without one, it just won't feel the same.

I do wish them luck though, they deserve it.
tremendous live performers when i saw them a couple years ago, boundless energy. it's a shame steven's left, i can't really consider them BNL anymore
I have liked/known of the ladies for as long as I can remember, I would suggest checking out bathroom sessions on youtube. Its the lad singer and huis guitar in the bathroom playing their hits. Some really good guitar on some of these, like in the song "some fantastic" and "wind it up"
"Anyone who doesn't look at their fretboard while playing is just showing off"
I saw Steven Page at Hamilton's festival of friends 2 days ago, and he kicked some MAJOR ass. His solo stuff is actually quite inspirational. combined with a couple BNL songs that he played means one hell of a show!
This was my first favorite band, the reason I got into music, first cassette I owned was theirs (lol cassettes), the first CD I ever bought was theirs (the ones that looks like the Pepsi logo).

I just started listening to them again, and I didn't understand it back then but these guys are kind of dark, most of it's about breaking up.