Recently I've been wanting to replace the stock pickups on my yamaha rgx121s which are pretty dull and i came up with wilkinson pickups that seem to pretty affordable, and all their products get great reviews at harmony central, so i just wanted to know if anybody is familiar with these or any other cheap goodsounding pickups (spectacular is not necessary, just something better than what i have now).

P.S: I can't afford di marzios, seymour duncans, cause a pair of humbuckers cost more than what i make monthly as a legal intern.
those seem nice, problem is i live in Venezuela so we don't get that much variety over here you see some very bad pickups and then there are the di marzio, seymour duncan, emg kind where you also won't find a lot to choose from. What i'm looking for is something better than stock so i as wondering if these could do the job
the 'WMSHN' and 'WMSHB' pickups are great, really creamy, smooth pickups. they sound quite similar to dimarzio super distortions imo

"The mind is its own place, and in itself

Can make a Heav'n of Hell, a Hell of Heav'n"

- John Milton, Paradise Lost
They are good .Some professionals use them here in preference to others .Tonerider are another very good pickup .I have used both and they are good .I base my judgement on does a guitar sound good with them ,not will it sound better than a boutique custom which may hit a specific tome you are after.The more expensive but still cheap Wilkingsons are Alnico and sound better than the very basic ceramics .
Quote by raul693
Recently I've been wanting to replace the stock pickups on my yamaha rgx121s which are pretty dull and i came up with wilkinson pickups that seem to pretty affordable, and all their products get great reviews at harmony central, so i just wanted to know if anybody is familiar with these or any other cheap goodsounding pickups (spectacular is not necessary, just something better than what i have now).

Two of my rules:

Never buy anything because it's getting great reviews at Harmony Central. That's like getting rave reviews on your singing from the Deaf Institute.

Never judge on price. But sometimes cheap stuff is just cheap and sometimes you get what you pay for.
I have a Fret-King Super 60HB, which has Wilkinson pickups, stock.

They're definitely good enough: they deliver EXACTLY what you'd expect out of a guitar like that. But they're not going to win any real contest for standing out in a crowd. They're good, serviceable pickups, but nothing truly special.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Please check the original date before posting, this thread is almost five years old.