For those of you in bands who jam really loud what do you use for hearing protection? I just use a set of in-ear earphones that I use with my MP3 player but I kind of want something different because these seem to cut the highs quite a bit. Any tried any of the hi-fidelity ear plugs designed for musicians?
Founder of the EHX Users Guild
My Photography

Quote by Kyle-Rehm
Please don't tell me I'm the only one that clicked this thread thinking I would learn how to make my guitar sound like a grizzly bear.
I just use those squishy orange things.. they work well enough. Playing my amp anything louder than 6 still makes my ears ring though (in all fairness it's probably rated at around 160w tube).

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE ARCHITECT σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

drone/doom/post-metal: http://theygrieve.bandcamp.com
I use either the squishy and foamy earplugs used by construction workers or the bigass earmuffs also used by construction workers. Both sound great to me and give a pretty good frequency balance if you know how to wear them right.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE SINE WAVE SURFER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']Boss pedals may be built like tanks but I would rather buy a cardboard box that is on my side than pay for a tank that is working against me.
Quote by silversoulcage
Nothing. If I go deaf, **** it.

There's a great mentality. "I love music so much that I hope I don't get to hear it!"
Hi, I'm Peter
Quote by Dirk Gently
There's a great mentality. "I love music so much that I hope I don't get to hear it!"

haha, my band doesn't jam loud enough for me to go deaf. If we ever played that loud then yea I would probably get some kind of ear plugs or something.
i do the same thing as you. when i play drums i have these nifty over the ear phones that cancel 26 decibels of noise. tames everything really well.
I highly doubt that your band doesn't jam loud enough. If you have a drummer, then that is already a path to killing your ears.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']Boss pedals may be built like tanks but I would rather buy a cardboard box that is on my side than pay for a tank that is working against me.
I really don't play loud enough to need them. Seeing as i'm home most of the time.
If I do jam with friends, I just wear standard plugs.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Quote by Dr.Pain-MD
I highly doubt that your band doesn't jam loud enough. If you have a drummer, then that is already a path to killing your ears.

I highly doubt that you're ever their and would even know. It doesn't hurt, my ears never ring and I never get that weird feeling like after you leave a bar show.

I'm fine. k thx?

Ass hole.
Quote by silversoulcage
I highly doubt that you're ever their and would even know. It doesn't hurt, my ears never ring and I never get that weird feeling like after you leave a bar show.

I'm fine. k thx?

Ass hole.

What? WHAT???

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Quote by silversoulcage

I'm fine. k thx?

Ass hole.

That was unnecessary. And he's right. Hearing loss is usually an aggregate thing.
Hi, I'm Peter
That's true. It's a gradual process, until it's too late.

They sell earplugs at Sam Ash and Guitar Center. Buy those, they're cheap
Quote by Dirk Gently
That was unnecessary. And he's right. Hearing loss is usually an aggregate thing.

Well I've been doing it for quite awhile and my ears are just as good as they were to begin with. And we really don't jam that loud, combo amps and our drummer doesn't beat the hell out of his set.
I don't play loud enough to need them, I feel. Whenever I start playing shows at volume from stage (soon, I has no PA to mic stuff and blast out front with) I'll probably need earplugs.
http://www.vater.com/newproducts/product.cfm?M=287
I use these
They are phenomenal. They do cut more highs, but they're WAY better than the little orangeys.

Use them in practice with the band and when I play drums in my basement. On stage, unless we're playing more than a half hour, I don't, so that I can better hear the rest of the band.
I'm Joel. I play guitar. I am a student. I look at the cost of tuition, not in a dollar value, but in the guitars I'm sacrificing now, to be able to buy later.
Just regular construction ear plugs. Go to home depot and pick em up for like 3 bucks.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
I've never played loud enough to pose a risk to my hearing.

At work I wear those rubber, yellow, three bowls stacked looking earplugs with the blue tie between them.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
get in ear earphones tat act as monitors. it sounds like **** if it's muffled by something. i dont use anything, but i dont play loud enough to hurt myself so,..
Jackson RR5 ivory w/ EMG 81/85
Jackson DX6 w/ SD Distortion & Dimarzio Super Distortion
Fender Starcaster Sunburst
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
nothing, ya i know stupid considering whats in my sig and yes we play ****ing LOUD on stage or off..... i probly should start wearing ear plugs, and too all the people who think they don`t need it, an amp builder i talked too, told me since he never wore anything to protect his ears, they now ring 24/7/365, and he said he knows other guys with the same problem, so ya, i gotta get some ear plugs, at least for practice. and now we`re running 2 JCM 900`s so it`s alot louder then when the other guy had a spider II.
Quote by soul_power
For those of you in bands who jam really loud what do you use for hearing protection? I just use a set of in-ear earphones that I use with my MP3 player but I kind of want something different because these seem to cut the highs quite a bit. Any tried any of the hi-fidelity ear plugs designed for musicians?

HUH?
i either use those little squishy ones that come in various colors or a pair of those big, blue earmuffs that construction dudes wear. i've just gotten used to the loss of highs. i occasionally take them off for one song to hear what we actually sound like. i like that i can hear myself sing with earplugs in, too.
main rig:
MIM Tele->VP Jr.->CryBaby->Fuzz Factory->TS808->Carbon Copy->Phase 90->TU-3->Vox AC30CCH+Avatar 212 and Peavey VTM60+Marshall 1960A

Quote by necrosis1193
Fuzz...It's wonderful and horrible and beautiful and repulsive and so many things all at once.
Quote by silversoulcage
Well I've been doing it for quite awhile and my ears are just as good as they were to begin with. And we really don't jam that loud, combo amps and our drummer doesn't beat the hell out of his set.

what are all you guys in your 20's or something. To think that even low volumes don't do any damage to your ears, you guys are idiots.
I'm 40, been playing for a long time, not using ear plugs until recently (ok, call me the idiot) and i have a nice ringing in the ears. Don't think you are fine, because next thing you know, your AREN'T
Quote by silversoulcage

Its because you are losing it gradually. You can't compare your hearing now to what it was...
"if i were you I wouldn't fiddle with the feet etc. as that nullifies warranty but yeh, just get up in digitech's grill and demand they make you a custom whammy that is purple and gold and fires rockets when you bend +2 octaves"