I'm currently practicing triplets, or galloping as some call it. I can't seem to get it! Every time i try to do them, the pick gets stuck on the string or i can't to it evenly and it sounds horrible. Any tips?
Quote by Macabre_Turtle
Your guitar will be infinite. Far over 9000.

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v647/oXiDe2030/fnmetal.jpg[/IMG]
What gauge strings are you using.
You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
Out on parole, any more instances of plum text and I get put back in...
practice a lot

it can take years to get really good at it (machine gunning)
Last edited by supralightning at Feb 22, 2009,
Well, I learned to do triplets, and am still learning.

But, I found that palm muting while practicing kinda helped me. From there, I gradually learned to release the mute and can triplet fine now, muted or not.
Quote by biga29
What gauge strings are you using.

not sure.. i know they are D'Addario Super lights

Also yeah i was thinking about it after i posted and realized wait galloping is different haha. sorry guys.
Quote by Macabre_Turtle

a gallop is 2 16th notes and 1 8th

so its kinda like

-|-|---|-

if you get that ^

i found them very easy
Just call me Julius, J, etc.
Taking an Internet break for a while, will come on when I can.
Quote by BeastTheBand
not sure.. i know they are D'Addario Super lights

Also yeah i was thinking about it after i posted and realized wait galloping is different haha. sorry guys.

If your using super-lights that could be one of your problems. A thicker gauge string will be tighter and wont bend as much when the pick hits the string, and since the string wont bend, the pick just goes right over real easy. Basically the the thicker the strings the easier it is to do them.
You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
Quote by biga29

If your using super-lights that could be one of your problems. A thicker gauge string will be tighter and wont bend as much when the pick hits the string, and since the string wont bend, the pick just goes right over real easy. Basically the the thicker the strings the easier it is to do them.

So any suggestions for a thicker string and brand?

Also yeah i get that little tab-like explaination lol those seem easier than triplets (by looking at it)
Quote by Macabre_Turtle

Quote by BeastTheBand

What tuning are you in normally?
You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
Quote by BeastTheBand

Also yeah i get that little tab-like explaination lol those seem easier than triplets (by looking at it)

D'addario .10-.46

standard thickness
Standard and rarely drop d but im just a beginner so i havent really used different tunings
Quote by Macabre_Turtle

Quote by BeastTheBand
Standard and rarely drop d but im just a beginner so i havent really used different tunings

to me it seemed like you were scared to get another gauge

it isnt the best to start with extra/light strings as a begginer...
Quote by BeastTheBand

Ok, if I were you I'd get Ernie Ball Skinny Top, Heavy Bottoms. They're .10-.52's

Basically the top 3 strings(lower three) are .11's and the bottom 3 (higher strings) are 10's.

The low e string will be good for Triplets, while the G,b, and e strings will be easier to solo and bend with.

That probably made no sense...

tl:dr: get these...http://www.ernieball.com/products/category-916-Nickel-Wound#/product/Skinny-Top-Heavy-Bottom-Nickel-Wound-010---052-Red-pack
You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
Quote by nowa90
a gallop is 2 16th notes and 1 8th

so its kinda like

-|-|---|-

if you get that ^

i found them very easy

It appears that you have it backwards. A gallop is an 8th and 2 16ths, a reverse gallop is 2 16ths and an eighth, and a triplet is 3 notes (at, say, 16ths for example) isolated by anything longer than a 16th.
I'm that dude with the fro.
Quote by angus fan16
Long story short, a whale flew out of the ocean, landed next to me and shot like a wall of water straight into my face.
it made perfect sense lol dont worry. Also to nowa90: Yeah I don't know my friend suggested em so i tried em.
Quote by Macabre_Turtle

Quote by BeastTheBand
it made perfect sense lol dont worry. Also to nowa90: Yeah I don't know my friend suggested em so i tried em.

Oh yeh, one more thing, a thicker pick will also make it easier and sound better. maybe like 1.15 milliter or something...
You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
Quote by DespisedIcon
Triplets =/= Galloping

I really thought someone would catch it before this.
7-String Legion
Quote by TheJem
Justice4AllOne pretty much mentioned all of my ideas so yeah...pointless pun post.

Quote by MightySumo
Thanks fer settin me straight on that Justice

Quote by oneblackened
I was thinking that too, Justice usually seems like a pretty knowledgeable guy.
Strings shouldn't be your problem, i play w/ super EB Super slinky's and i play alot of lamb of god, and machine gun style riffs. As with anything with guitar (and almost evrything in life) it's practice, practice, and practice some more. they say practice makes perfect, that BS. Practice makes a habit, you need to get in the habit of practicing perfectly if you want to get good. Sorry for the rant on practicing. I didn't read the whole thread, so I don't know if it's already been said; but practicing/learning Lamb of god songs will really help you learn triplets ( or at least that's how i learned...

EDIT:: If you want a good song try Hourglass - Lamb of God.. and if you think you're getting good, play the whole song up-tempo (except for the Vomit Riff; thats fast enough as it is)

EDIT2x:: Hourglass - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WZgLi_jQyhY
Last edited by Killedelphia19 at Feb 22, 2009,
Quote by Killedelphia19
Strings shouldn't be your problem, i play w/ super EB Super slinky's and i play alot of lamb of god, and machine gun style riffs. As with anything with guitar (and almost evrything in life) it's practice, practice, and practice some more. they say practice makes perfect, that BS. Practice makes a habit, you need to get in the habit of practicing perfectly if you want to get good. Sorry for the rant on practicing. I didn't read the whole thread, so I don't know if it's already been said; but practicing/learning Lamb of god songs will really help you learn triplets ( or at least that's how i learned...

Not saying strings are his problem, but trying to learn how to play triplets on super lights would be crazy difficult. Heavier strings definitely make it easier.
You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
Quote by biga29
Not saying strings are his problem, but trying to learn how to play triplets on super lights would be crazy difficult. Heavier strings definitely make it easier.

Yeah, i've always been known to do things in the most difficult way possible
I justify it by saying it builds character
Quote by Killedelphia19
Yeah, i've always been known to do things in the most difficult way possible
I justify it by saying it builds character

Nice...

Quote by bangoodcharlote
Sig.

What?
You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
Quote by biga29

What?

There's a link to how to play a gallop in his sig. But i do believe we've already cleared up the fact that Galloping =/= Triplets
Quote by bangoodcharlote
Please read the lesson on the gallop in my sig.

Oh, ok dude i didn't see that one.
You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
Quote by bangoodcharlote
Please read the lesson on the gallop in my sig.

Oh and by the way..., Is your name supposed to be

"ban Good Charlotte"

"band Good Charlotte"

or "bang Good Charlotte"

The meanings of each are so different and im confused...
You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
2 things to work on... and unfortunately they're blatently obvious...

1. If you can't alternate pick, you can't pick triplets. I would practice picking constantly with 16ths at about 100-160 depending on how well your doing. Be strict with it. If you don't stay strict with yourself you won't improve.

2. Controlling your right hand. Know the spacing of the pattern you need to play. Dont overdo it with speed and sloppiness, but stay tight and keep it in time. There aren't any shortcuts to make you suddenly be able to play triplets. When I wanted to learn them I started off with a straight 16th picking pattern and got the pause in there, next thing I knew I was playing them correctly.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Well thanks all for the insight. I've been doing a bit better i can hit them ohhh id say 60% of the time now. To MESAexplorer: Yeah thats what i started doing actually (in reference to #2) and now im trying to add in the pause. so thanks! I found this song "puritania" by dimmu borgir to practice without the pause. they sound like 16ths anyways lol. Excuse my newbieness! Also I am DEFINITELY trying the song hourglass right now!
Quote by Macabre_Turtle

a good way to add in the pause is to do a "lift," so your picking pattern is Down-rest-down-up-Down-rest-down-up-Down etc. it also makes the note on the beat a downpick which should be easier to accent or give it some extra kick.
Last edited by black_box at Feb 23, 2009,
Quote by BeastTheBand
"puritania"
Wicked tune I need to go learn that one....
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
If you really wanna get good at it, get a tab of "The Coming Curse" by Iced Earth.

Practice it over and over
quick solution. turn the pick sideways or slightly sideways.
Being a Bass player is pretty LOW i.m.o...
My Gear:
squier strat HSS
(coming soon) hand built superstrat style.
(coming soon) hand built mahogany spruce top acoustic.
Fender Mustang I 20w
Line 6 FLoor POD (standard)