I am starting to have a chance to do something I always wanted to do and that is play with a group? I actually played guitar for over twenty years but most of that was playing for the fun of it. But, I've had the opportunity to play with a group of guys the last couple of years. We actually started in a learning process but now we've actually learned enough that we're wanting to have opportunities to play in front of a crowd.

We mainly play classic rock. But, what would you all recommend to learn so that not only will we enjoy what were doing but the crowd we play in front of will also enjoy the music? In other words, I'm sure to get some recognition you have to play music that people can relate too even if it is not you favorite.

Thanks for any advice,

Smiledoc
Led Zepplin
Megadeth > Metallica
Gibson > Fender
Randy Rhoads > Everybody

Quote by gamenerd323
451f you sig is the truest thing in the world

My sig > Yours
the beatles, anything and everything by them
Quote by soXlittleXtimeX
^
shanchett, you get an E for Effort

Quote by CodChick

ROFLLOBSTER
Walk This Way.
Fender '72 Telecaster Deluxe Reissue -> Korg Pitchblack Tuner -> Boss PS-5 -> EHX Big Muff -> MXR EVH Phase 90 -> Menatone Pleasure Trem 5000 -> Line 6 Verbzilla -> MXR Carbon Copy -> Boss RC-2 -> Peavey Classic 50
Down on the Corner...basically any song by CCR is simple, yet sounds great and is fun to play.
His death, which happen'd in his berth,
At forty-odd befell:
They went and told the sexton, and
The sexton toll'd the bell
Thank you for your responses. All of them are definitely from rock groups that I like to listen too. If all I ever learned was from these type of groups this would be fine to me. The question I have is do we need to learn some songs from more "pop-rock" groups so that those people who are watching us know what we're playing or can dance to it. What about songs from the '80's because there is actually not that much I like from this decade and this was the time I was growing up in my teenage years.
Thanks again,
Shane
Quote by smiledoc
Thank you for your responses. All of them are definitely from rock groups that I like to listen too. If all I ever learned was from these type of groups this would be fine to me. The question I have is do we need to learn some songs from more "pop-rock" groups so that those people who are watching us know what we're playing or can dance to it. What about songs from the '80's because there is actually not that much I like from this decade and this was the time I was growing up in my teenage years.
Thanks again,
Shane

Just do whatever you wanna do. I take it you've all been to see bands? I take it you also all have your favourites? So between you, just come up with a set that you would like to see another band play. (all pick 5 songs and throw 'em in the hat) After all, music is just a case of personal preference so your opinions are just as valuable as anyone elses.

Get yourselves a set together and play it at gigs a few times, after a while you'll start to notice that some songs don't go down as well as others, so drop those songs and replace them with something else. If it goes down well it stays, if it doesn't, it goes.
Keep repeating the exercise and what will happen is that you will get a good rep for constantly changing your set and thus not becoming boring to those that have seen you before (namely you're hardcore audience) and also your set should naturaly improve as you go along.