ok i got asked 2 play the break at this bar .like when the main band is taking a break and its march 7th and i dont know what i should play. any suggestions
MIM Fender Strat
Ibanez AE series acoustic
Washburn Semi Hollow loaded with Di-Marzios
Main Street LP
Tama drum set
Marshall Blues-breaker 2
VOX V847 Wah
Fender Princeton chorus
no like i know a couple songs but i think they just want me to go up and play some licks and riffs and things like that
MIM Fender Strat
Main Street LP
Tama drum set
Marshall Blues-breaker 2
VOX V847 Wah
Fender Princeton chorus
What style of music do you play? How long will you be playing?
WARNING:This post contains explicit portrayals of violence; sex; violent sex; sexual violence; clowns and violent scenes of violent excess, which are definitely not suitable for all audiences.
i play metel/rock that sortta stuff and i think it will rang from 5-20 mins most likly or just 1 song so i wana have some material ready
MIM Fender Strat
Main Street LP
Tama drum set
Marshall Blues-breaker 2
VOX V847 Wah
Fender Princeton chorus
Let me get this straight: The band is playing a bar, and will be doing more than 1 set. In between sets, they want you to get up there and entertain the crowd. Correct?
Now, who asked you to play, the bar owner/manager, or the band? What kind of bar is it? What kind of crowd do they attract? Is it a cover band or an original band?
Because quite frankly, and this isn't personal, there is nothing more boring and irritating than a guitarist just spitting out 'licks and riffs.' If I were the bar owner, I'd get you the hell off the stage if you were just noodling around, because the noise would probably scare away business. So unless you're either a) doing quiet, bluesy solo guitar that will just be background noise while people drink and converse, or b) playing and singing, I wouldn't bother. Unless the bar owner specifically wants to hear your just spitting out riffs and licks, do NOT play that. I'm a guitarist, and that would bore me to tears and probably cause me to go out for a smoke until the band came back on. Imagine what that would do to non-musicians.
Quote by koslack
Let me get this straight: The band is playing a bar, and will be doing more than 1 set. In between sets, they want you to get up there and entertain the crowd. Correct?
Now, who asked you to play, the bar owner/manager, or the band? What kind of bar is it? What kind of crowd do they attract? Is it a cover band or an original band?
Because quite frankly, and this isn't personal, there is nothing more boring and irritating than a guitarist just spitting out 'licks and riffs.' If I were the bar owner, I'd get you the hell off the stage if you were just noodling around, because the noise would probably scare away business. So unless you're either a) doing quiet, bluesy solo guitar that will just be background noise while people drink and converse, or b) playing and singing, I wouldn't bother. Unless the bar owner specifically wants to hear your just spitting out riffs and licks, do NOT play that. I'm a guitarist, and that would bore me to tears and probably cause me to go out for a smoke until the band came back on. Imagine what that would do to non-musicians.

Agreed.
And if you are just going to do a couple of songs accompanying yourself on guitar, I would also advise you to use an accoustic or semi-acoustic rather than an electric and stay away from solos unless you have some sort of backing.

Quote by JordantheAxe
If you don't have material ready, don't play the gig.

I'm not sure if I agree with that. I know I'm always one of the first people to say that you should always have material prepared before you accept a gig but that's really more in a 'band' situation.
This is just a couple of songs, probably three or four at the most, there's no band to get up to speed, it's just a little solo spot and in my opinion any decent guitarist who can also sing should be able to come up with something suitable.
It's also an exercise that helps to build confidence because after getting up on your own, playing in a band will seem like a doddle.
Put it this way, most of the guitarist/singers that I know can pick up an acoustic at a party and keep the place entertained for at least half an hour at the drop of a hat.
Now that's a good useful ability to have as a musician, (imagine you're playing a gig and the drummer's bass drum peddle falls apart, wouldn't it be good if you could keep the audience entertained while the drummer mended or replaced his peddle rather than all standing around like wallies until it's sorted?) but you only gain that ability from experience, and a booking like this is part of that experience.
Last edited by SlackerBabbath at Feb 24, 2009,
If I saw someone playing lead guitar with no backing, in a bar, I don't think I'd go outside.

I'd start heckling.

Seriously, there's very little more boring for a non-guitarist (and for a lot of guitarists) than someone thinking they're soloing like Steve Vai on their own.
i can solo alright and its a rock setting like fast hard rock. and i can play a couple songs and guna learn like 1-3 more before the gig
MIM Fender Strat
Main Street LP
Tama drum set
Marshall Blues-breaker 2
VOX V847 Wah
Fender Princeton chorus
If you can sing and play at the same time, do that. Otherwise just don't do it. You''ll be boring. Even if you play to a backing track, I personally think it would be the instrumental equivalent to Karaoke.
Eyes
Quote by woodenbandman
My dear man, I must petition you for photographic evidence, or the described events cannot be verified, and will be written off as fallacy.
i got sum songs lined up that i can play pretty much perfectly
house of the rising sun
i want to hold your hand
santa monica by everclear

and sumwheres between or something a origonal by me
MIM Fender Strat
Main Street LP
Tama drum set
Marshall Blues-breaker 2
VOX V847 Wah
Fender Princeton chorus
wtf i dont uderstand what ure askin
MIM Fender Strat
Main Street LP
Tama drum set
Marshall Blues-breaker 2
VOX V847 Wah
Fender Princeton chorus
Do You Play And Sing At The Same Time?

Will You Be Doing The Lead, Or Rhythm Of The Songs You Know?

If It Is Only Lead Are You Using A Backing Track?
Eyes
Quote by woodenbandman
My dear man, I must petition you for photographic evidence, or the described events cannot be verified, and will be written off as fallacy.
Okay, I'm not going to get mean because you're only 13, and like any of us when we were 13, we didn't know sh!t either.

But I am going to tell it to you like it is, because you clearly need that. I know this because you've gotten great advice, and you're not listening.

1. You were asked if you were singing and playing. You haven't answered. Are you? Because if you're not, then you're one guy getting up there with an electric guitar and wanking. Nobody cares how good you are. It's f-ing boring. None of us guitarists want to hear it. What makes you think any non-musician is going to want to?

2. The three songs you suggested are all great songs. But you'll bore the F** out of people if you're just there jamming out chords and riffs and stuff like that. And if, as you say, it is a fast hard rock kinda place, the audience won't be interested in that classic/top-40 stuff.

3. You're 13. How good are you really? I mean... really. Better than all your friends? In the bigger picture, that doesn't count for sh!t. People are paying money to be there. It ain't Tiny Talent Time. So... how good are you, really? If they're giving you a chance to play, you owe it to them to play something that they will at least not mind listening to. People want to hear songs... not riffs and chords. Not solos. Not unless you're Nuno Bettencourt or something. No, I don't mean that you kinda play like him. I mean that to say that you are *actually* him. Or can play well enough that you'd kick his ass. Even at that - most non musicians will leave after two songs.

4. You say 5-20 minutes. Surely you don't plan on milking one song for ten minutes or something do you.

5. You've got a week and you're sitting there saying "I'm going to learn a couple more before the gig?" Unless you're already pretty accomplished - which I have *never* met anyone who matches that description by age 13 - getting two songs down from scratch to 'gig ready' is a pretty demanding task. (learn the vocal, learn the guitar, and be able to play the two parts together from memory) For someone accomplished, it's fine, but for a rookie... no.

You need to establish how you are going to make whoever is letting you up there happy. By extension... how you're going to make the audience happy. If you can't get your head around that, you are miles away.... miles.... from being ready to show your face in public with a guitar. (except for maybe a middle-school talent show or something....but nowhere in the 'real' world.)

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Last edited by axemanchris at Feb 27, 2009,
i cant sing for 1 and i can play better than my friends but it doesnt really matter much ri now and i can play other songs but those are the ones i know most and thats what my guitar teacher suggested 2 me. i can learn songs pretty fast and get um down. i learned i want to hold ure hand pretty much perfect in an hour-2hours. the main band almost always finishes a set with a slow song and i dont plan on one sone lasting 10minutes i dont think they will backtrack. and thanks for that advice in that form
MIM Fender Strat
Main Street LP
Tama drum set
Marshall Blues-breaker 2
VOX V847 Wah
Fender Princeton chorus
So you're going to get up and play I wanna hold your hand.... just the guitar?

CT

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

most likey house of ther rising son. i can play it perfect from memory and pretty much everybody knows the song
MIM Fender Strat
Main Street LP
Tama drum set
Marshall Blues-breaker 2
VOX V847 Wah
Fender Princeton chorus
...just the guitar?

And what do you figure the audience will think of this?

CT

idk wat to say, go for it then if its ur burning passion
We can dance if we want to
We can leave your friends behind
'Cause your friends don't dance and if they don't dance
Well they're no friends of mine
Last edited by Tojo62 at Feb 27, 2009,
Quote by 3hta_bryce
and i can play better than my friends

ha u keep thinkin that, lol
We can dance if we want to
We can leave your friends behind
'Cause your friends don't dance and if they don't dance
Well they're no friends of mine
Man, I am not trying to be a jerk, and I am just being straight with you. Don't do this 'gig' if it is only you, playing JUST the guitar part. The people will not entertained in any way really. I understand wanting to do this. I did it myself when I was your age, and it went terribly. Just trying to save you some embarrassment.
Eyes
Quote by woodenbandman
dude - if it's your burning passion or what have you, you dont want to look like **** than never be invited to come back right? You sound like you really like to play and all but you aren't getting the simple fact that just becuase you feel so amazing about something doesn't mean other people give a ****. Especially if its just some teenager punk playing house of the rising sun solo on electric.