If you are already able to read sheet music I would start with some easy classical pieces. Moonlight sonata first movement is a popular one.
Learn to read sheet music. Your possibilities will become endless.

And the Moonlight Sonata is by NO means an easy piece for a novice. The dynamics, key signature, the accidentals and subtle motifs- definitely not for somebody who's just starting out.

I've taken classical piano training for 11 years, so hear me out on this one. If you're serious about playing piano, then you are NOT above getting children's music theory books. This doesn't mean you have to start with book one (hopefully, you know more music theory than THAT), but the same principle applies.

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE
Quote by MusicalMinority
Learn to read sheet music. Your possibilities will become endless.

And the Moonlight Sonata is by NO means an easy piece for a novice. The dynamics, key signature, the accidentals and subtle motifs- definitely not for somebody who's just starting out.

I've taken classical piano training for 11 years, so hear me out on this one. If you're serious about playing piano, then you are NOT above getting children's music theory books. This doesn't mean you have to start with book one (hopefully, you know more music theory than THAT), but the same principle applies.

You know I'm talking about the first movement right? And I said IF you can already read sheet music, which would imply you can read key signatures and accidentals. Moonlight Sonata is pretty easy imo, its the second or third song I learned on piano.
Quote by blueriver
You know I'm talking about the first movement right? And I said IF you can already read sheet music, which would imply you can read key signatures and accidentals. Moonlight Sonata is pretty easy imo, its the second or third song I learned on piano.

The first movement is not easy, and the multitude of terrible interpretations of the piece is a testament to that fact. The fact that the first movement is slow does not make it easy. If all someone is worried about is hitting the right notes, then they could probably manage it quite easily as a beginner, but if you want to play it well, you need quite a large amount of skill with the instrument.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Last edited by Archeo Avis at Feb 22, 2009,
Quote by blueriver

Yeah, I know you're talking about the first movement. It's not hard to play... But it's extremely difficult to play it WELL.

Most people butcher the song to the point where I cannot listen to it without cringing. The tempo, ideally, should be dramatically slower than what all the YouTube stars play it as. The passages need to flow and blend into one another. The dynamics are extreme- it takes precision control of the fingers to be able to play that softly, but clearly. Many complain that the Moonlight Sonata has no real melody- that is simply not true. The melody is contained within the pinky of the right hand for 90% of the song, but all of the other four fingers on the right hand need to be playing at different volumes. It is also difficult to balance the left hand masterfully. The song is very emotional, piercingly sad.

That said, I cannot consider the Moonlight Sonata to be a novice piece. Fur Elise, sure. Sonata in G? At a stretch, but yes.

But if you feel differently, I respect your opinion, and wish that we agree to disagree.

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE
Quote by Archeo Avis
The first movement is not easy, and the multitude of terrible interpretations of the piece is a testament to that fact. The fact that the first movement is slow does not make it easy. If all someone is worried about is hitting the right notes, then they could probably manage it quite easily as a beginner, but if you want to play it well, you need quite a large amount of skill with the instrument.

Sorry for the double post, but I felt the need to do this...

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE
Quote by MusicalMinority
Yeah, I know you're talking about the first movement. It's not hard to play... But it's extremely difficult to play it WELL.

Most people butcher the song to the point where I cannot listen to it without cringing. The tempo, ideally, should be dramatically slower than what all the YouTube stars play it as. The passages need to flow and blend into one another. The dynamics are extreme- it takes precision control of the fingers to be able to play that softly, but clearly. Many complain that the Moonlight Sonata has no real melody- that is simply not true. The melody is contained within the pinky of the right hand for 90% of the song, but all of the other four fingers on the right hand need to be playing at different volumes. It is also difficult to balance the left hand masterfully. The song is very emotional, piercingly sad.

However badly people play the first movement, it still can't hold a candle to the third. The third movement is so widely played terribly that even most professional pianists can barely manage a competent interpretation. I have only ever heard a single performance of the piece in my entire life that didn't make me want to slap the performer.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Quote by Archeo Avis
However badly people play the first movement, it still can't hold a candle to the third. The third movement is so widely played terribly that even most professional pianists can barely manage a competent interpretation. I have only ever heard a single performance of the piece in my entire life that didn't make me want to slap the performer.

I've heard maybe two. I'm not going to lie, I fail miserably at playing the third movement.

And yes, Fur Elise is fairly easy if you learn to read sheet music. The Moonlight is definitely not.

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE
How about an easy version of Beethoveen's 9th?

E E F G G F E D C C D E E D D

E E F G G F E D C C D E D CC

Most people butcher the song to the point where I cannot listen to it without cringing. The tempo, ideally, should be dramatically slower than what all the YouTube stars play it as.

Adagio Sostenuto yes, but it's written alle breve, if you play it at the tempo your grandmother plays it the meter becomes like that of common time.

EDIT --> The Bach inventions and some of the easier scriabin op 11 and chopin op 28 preludes are excellent places to start.
Last edited by Erc at Feb 23, 2009,