Page 1 of 2
So I happened to find this article which appears to demonstrate the effects of music on people. Its not really conclusive obviously, but its pretty interesting and my favorite part is where mouse having listened to anthrax for 24 hours all kill each other.

http://cognitive-psychology.suite101.com/article.cfm/psychology_of_heavy_metal_music

Theres the link, pretty interesting read

So my question is, although this has been done a million times, do you think rock music has any effect on people psychologically? Or how does each specific genre affect people etc. Discuss (if you want )
I used to have a cockatiel named Rosie, and she loved Dream Theater, especially Octavarium, but she died a few months ago.
I seriously killed this kids brand new white rat once while I was jamming.
I was doing some tapping licks with my amp cranked and it had a seizure on this dude's shoulder and fell of and died.
Everybody just stared at me for like 2 minutes...then everybody gave me a high five haha.
It's my proudest moment.
Quote by SteveHouse
This thread is officially about sucking Sleaze off for a sig.

Quote by tayroar
Hey Sleaze I'll give you a blowjob if you sig me. Maybe even some nudey photos?

Quote by crazy8rgood

Sleaze, that made me lulz in my pants.

Quote by 36mikeyb36
hahaha Sleaze i'd give you my mom for that one.
TS: Couldn't that relate to how authorities torture inmates with music as an interrogation method?
Effect on Animals

A student named David Merrill subjected mice to the music of a heavy metal band called Anthrax 24-hours a day to discover how it would affect their ability to learn new things, but instead of completing Merrill’s maze, the heavy metal mice all killed one another.

In a subsequent experiment in which the mice listened to heavy metal music for 10 hours each day, they did not become homicidal, but they did grow worse at solving the maze than they had been when they first encountered it. But research indicates that reactions to music are shaped by whether or not it is the genre of choice, and it's highly unlikely that if the mice had a musical preference at all, it would have been Anthrax.

I have no opinion on this matter.
Bah, most of these studies are looking at effects, not causes. Heavy metal doesn't cause low grades or depression; kids who are depressed or stupid tend to listen to heavy metal.
Quote by HuckIt
My weirdest dream would have to be when I dreamed that I met this chick I really liked and wanted to practice sex, so I practiced on some guy I met at a gas station...that was pretty screwed up.
A student named David Merrill subjected mice to the music of a heavy metal band called Anthrax 24-hours a day to discover how it would affect their ability to learn new things, but instead of completing Merrill’s maze, the heavy metal mice all killed one another.

Quote by frottage
I used to have a cockatiel named Rosie, and she loved Dream Theater, especially Octavarium, but she died a few months ago.

My brother has a female cockatiel that wants to fornicate with me when she sees me. Now I just gotta level up and my powers will work on real women some day
My dog lays down next to my stereo a lot.
Quote by guitar-godfrey
when i grow up i wanna have blackandsilver's babies!

Quote by angusfan16

Quote by Scowmoo
HOLY HELL.

nice discovery, sir.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Last edited by coryklok : Today at 01:10 PM.
This whole article is bull. Not one bit of conclusive evidence. Everything ended with a "but"
Quote by GuitarGod_92
I feel like I should pay you in sexual favors for that truly fapic story.

Quote by esther_mouse
Aww thank you sweetie Made my day a little bit brighter.

^that post and others like it made mine a Lot brighter.
My cat likes it when I play metal. But she can certainly tell when it's polished and when it's not :P. When I'm learning a new tune or something, and it doesn't sound good, she'll turn her head away and tuck it under the rest of her.
Quote by metaldud536

My brother has a female cockatiel that wants to fornicate with me when she sees me. Now I just gotta level up and my powers will work on real women some day

Does she make weird chirping sounds and rub up against her cage?

That's what mine did. She had sex with the side of her cage, and then she'd lay an egg a few days later. xD
We also had to clean her mirror every three or four days. She always kissed herself in the mirror, and got so dirty that you couldn't see in it at all.
Heavy metal mice
1. Open My Computer.
2. Open C:
3. Click on WINDOWS.
4. Open the folder "Media."
5. Click on the file "onestop."
6. Listen.
My turtle flips a shit every time he hears and kind of metal or hard rock. He kind of sways to the beat of the music when he hears lighter rock.
At the Justice Tour:
Guy in audience: Libertyville represent!
Tom Morello: Yes. Libertyville…represent.

Quote by IDread
Damn. You got insanely lucky when it comes to manly surnames.

Ai æm eɪ prəpoʊnənt ʌv eɪ kəmplitli fənɛtɪk ælfəbɛt. Spɛl ɛvriθɪŋ wɪθ ðə AɪPiEɪ.
Quote by frottage
Does she make weird chirping sounds and rub up against her cage?

That's what mine did. She had sex with the side of her cage, and then she'd lay an egg a few days later. xD
We also had to clean her mirror every three or four days. She always kissed herself in the mirror, and got so dirty that you couldn't see in it at all.

Nah she doesn't hump the cage. Though we keep all 4 in one cage, the mirrors I'd put in there would get incredibly dirty.

What she does is that when my brother takes her out, her feathers would go down, starts chirping, and tries to get real close to my face. I stand there wondering "Is this the best I can do?"

Also, female cockatiels can lay random eggs like chickens?
Last edited by metaldud536 at Feb 22, 2009,
I've always wondered how they actually go about DOING these studies.

Do they like, find sad people, put them in a room, and say "Cheer up, bitch" and blare Iron Maiden or something like that?
Quote by ZAxel
My turtle flips a shit every time he hears and kind of metal or hard rock. He kind of sways to the beat of the music when he hears lighter rock.

How exactly does a turtle flip a ****?
1. Open My Computer.
2. Open C:
3. Click on WINDOWS.
4. Open the folder "Media."
5. Click on the file "onestop."
6. Listen.
Quote by Mockstairwell
How exactly does a turtle flip a ****?

He's a water turtle, so he's actually pretty fast. So when he hears heavy music, he jumps to the bottom of his tank (off of his dock), spins around in a circle really with his head in his shell, completely hides in his shell, etc. Basically, he just gets scared and freaks out.
At the Justice Tour:
Guy in audience: Libertyville represent!
Tom Morello: Yes. Libertyville…represent.

Quote by IDread
Damn. You got insanely lucky when it comes to manly surnames.

Ai æm eɪ prəpoʊnənt ʌv eɪ kəmplitli fənɛtɪk ælfəbɛt. Spɛl ɛvriθɪŋ wɪθ ðə AɪPiEɪ.
Last edited by ZAxel at Feb 22, 2009,
Quote by metaldud536
Nah she doesn't hump the cage. Though we keep all 4 in one cage, the mirrors I'd put in there would get incredibly dirty.

What she does is that when my brother takes her out, her feathers would go down, starts sqeaking, and tries to get real close to my face. I stand there wondering "Is this the best I can do?"

Also, female cockatiels can lay random eggs like chickens?

I guess, she didn't do it every time she made love to the cage, but she did do it pretty often when she made love. My friend has a cocktiel too, and he's pretty sure it's insane. He's not shy like mine was, he'll attempt to whistle whenever said friend's mom does piano lessons, and occasionally you can get him to say "pretty bird" or "peek-a-boo" or something, but he does some weird stuff. He has a mirror that hangs out side of his cage, and he'll hit it so it swings back and forth and he'll start running a couple steps sideways back and forth and keep looking in the mirror. He also has a little thing of water for him to wash himself in, but he just poops in it and then starts drinking it. Never washes himself either. Also, he'll bury his head into his food as far as he can, and start squawking really loud like someone's trying to kill him. He's pretty weird.
in animals maybe music has some effects. people is so, SO much more complex than animals that the effects of one determined track in one guy almost always isn't going to be the same with any other...
Quote by FatalGear41
When you break a bass string, that snapping sound is the sound of six dollars going down the crapper.

Sterling Ray 35
Hartke Ha3500 head - Gallien Krueger 212MBE cab
Tech 21 VT Bass
Zoom b2
Quote by frottage
I guess, she didn't do it every time she made love to the cage, but she did do it pretty often when she made love. My friend has a cocktiel too, and he's pretty sure it's insane. He's not shy like mine was, he'll attempt to whistle whenever said friend's mom does piano lessons, and occasionally you can get him to say "pretty bird" or "peek-a-boo" or something, but he does some weird stuff. He has a mirror that hangs out side of his cage, and he'll hit it so it swings back and forth and he'll start running a couple steps sideways back and forth and keep looking in the mirror. He also has a little thing of water for him to wash himself in, but he just poops in it and then starts drinking it. Never washes himself either. Also, he'll bury his head into his food as far as he can, and start squawking really loud like someone's trying to kill him. He's pretty weird.

That's disgusting. That's a pretty crazed cockatiel. I only have 1 male out of the four. He whistles at dogs, when I bark at him, or when I hold something weird in my hand like a cellphone or a stuffed animal. But he can't talk. He tries

I want to breed some to sell. >_> I've done it before and only made $20.
Last edited by metaldud536 at Feb 22, 2009,
Quote by metaldud536
That's disgusting. That's a pretty crazed cockatiel. I only have 1 male out of the four. He whistles at dogs, when I bark at him, or when I hold something weird in my hand like a cellphone or a stuffed animal. But he can't talk. He tries

I want to breed some to sell. >_> I've done it before and only made $20.

Jeez. I don't know how much they go for, but I know it's more than that. Was it because you just bred them on your own and you're not like some 1337 professional breeder, or you just didn't know how much they went for or whatever?
Quote by frottage
Jeez. I don't know how much they go for, but I know it's more than that. Was it because you just bred them on your own and you're not like some 1337 professional breeder, or you just didn't know how much they went for or whatever?

No it's because my parents wanted to give them away for free to friends. But one lady who came to pick one up handed me $20 when my parents weren't looking I knew they go around for like $40-$70
Quote by metaldud536
No it's because my parents wanted to give them away for free to friends. But one lady who came to pick one up handed me $20 when my parents weren't looking I know they go around for like $40-$70

Haha nice. I'd try breeding them and selling them when I move out, but it would suck to have no one buy them and then be stuck with like twenty cockatiels. Even just four like you have seems like it would get pretty annoying. Are they all loud? I remember when I was eighth grade, my girlfriend had a bird; not sure what he was, but he was a bigger one. When he would get mad at her for not paying enough attention to him, he would let out this REALLY ****ing loud scream. She'd be in a different room, and his screaming would drown her out on the phone lol.
Quote by frottage
Haha nice. I'd try breeding them and selling them when I move out, but it would suck to have no one buy them and then be stuck with like twenty cockatiels. Even just four like you have seems like it would get pretty annoying. Are they all loud? I remember when I was eighth grade, my girlfriend had a bird; not sure what he was, but he was a bigger one. When he would get mad at her for not paying enough attention to him, he would let out this REALLY ****ing loud scream. She'd be in a different room, and his screaming would drown her out on the phone lol.

Well in the mornings they're pretty quiet. They hang around at the bottom cage just watching us O_o. When I take 'em outside they go crazy. But not as loud as your friend's parrot.
Quote by metaldud536
Well in the mornings they're pretty quiet. They hang around at the bottom cage just watching us O_o. When I take 'em outside they go crazy. But not as loud as your friend's parrot.

Outside the cage or outside outside? My cockatiel would flip out if I even put my hand inside her cage, so obviously she never got outside. Yet she loved for me to put my face against her cage so she could nibble at my hair and glasses.

Sorry to keep this going on for so long.
Hay guyz, did u kno that metal caused teh Columbine shooting?
Quote by SForbz-Rockstar
They weren't homeless they were just Grunge.
Quote by Jekkyl
Hay guyz, did u kno that metal caused teh Columbine shooting?

AND VIDEO GAMEZ
Quote by dio_dude
I'm facepalming so hard, my forrid resembles a concave dinner plate.

I'm with dio_dude, all these experts can kiss my ass.
Quote by frottage
AND VIDEO GAMEZ

LOL DOOM N MARILYN MANSON
Quote by SForbz-Rockstar
They weren't homeless they were just Grunge.
Quote by frottage
Outside the cage or outside outside? My cockatiel would flip out if I even put my hand inside her cage, so obviously she never got outside. Yet she loved for me to put my face against her cage so she could nibble at my hair and glasses.

Sorry to keep this going on for so long.

Well the cage outside. And my birds don't nibble at my hair
Quote by SinSyringe
I agree

@ Frottage and Metaldud,
http://www.dumpalink.com/videos/Techno_parrot-h6d7.html
rocking birds ftw, not mine btw, just saying

Yea I seen dis cockatoo. He's got moves.
thrash makes you angry as hell! i have something to be kind of mad about, and kreator is making it 100 times worse! but its a fun angry because its pleasant and feels empowering!
Gibson SG Special Faded(Super Distortion/PAF Pro)
Carvin V3M
Jet City JCA2112RC
Taylor 114e
Ibanez SR300e

Quote by Delanoir
In 60 years, there will still be Opeth.
You know why?
Death ain't got **** on Mikael.
frottage and metaldud, please cut it out.
Quote by FatalGear41
When you break a bass string, that snapping sound is the sound of six dollars going down the crapper.

Sterling Ray 35
Tech 21 VT Bass
Zoom b2
Quote by boyan89
ALL EXPERTS CAN KISS MY ASS

, one of the best things i read on UG!

EDIT: sorry for double post.
Quote by FatalGear41

Sterling Ray 35
Tech 21 VT Bass
Zoom b2
Last edited by Sudaka at Feb 22, 2009,
this is another "high quality" thread jack! yay!!

i love thread jacks!
Quote by FatalGear41

Sterling Ray 35
Tech 21 VT Bass
Zoom b2
Page 1 of 2